Gransnet forums

News & politics

Latest on Harry and Meghan

(1001 Posts)
ExD1938 Fri 14-Feb-20 13:36:52

I am disgusted by the announcement that these two have sacked 15 British members of staff. What are they thinking?
I ask myself 'how would I feel if I'd upped sticks and gone to another country out of loyalty to my employer, only for them to get rid of me 3 months later.
I would be heartbroken and furious.

suziewoozie Sat 15-Feb-20 16:41:57

There are some really interesting threads going on at the moment but do stay on this one MegHan Haters - it’s probably a better fit

Chewbacca Sat 15-Feb-20 16:43:22

Well it must fit you rather well sooziewoozie because you keep drifting in and out of it don't you! grin

suziewoozie Sat 15-Feb-20 16:45:31

Just when I’m giving my brain a rest Chew ????

GagaJo Sat 15-Feb-20 16:45:59

Hahaha, Greymar. Or the slipper. And don't forget the stocks!

tessagee Sat 15-Feb-20 16:47:18

Referring back to the original post, I would be hopeful that any of the staff who are actually made redundant will be quickly snapped up by the relevant agencies as the fact that they have worked for Royal Family still carries a lot of kudos. Best wishes to them all.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 15-Feb-20 17:54:35

As reported in the press ?, Harry and Meghan will be returning to the UK in March for the UK's 2020 Commonwealth Day.
As this day is commemorated in Canada might it not be a case of will they /won't they?

maddyone Mon 17-Feb-20 01:24:01

Will Meghan turn up? I’m doubtful. Well we’ll see on March 9th.

Grandad1943 Mon 17-Feb-20 08:51:49

I believe that several forum members posting in this thread are forgetting that the Labour Party are not the party of government and in all probability will not be that for at least the next four years. Therefore such issues as transgender etc would be better addressed on a thread that referred to government policy on such minority group issues.

For myself, and I am sure many others which will be polling in this leadership election, the main issue is who of the three remaining candidates would be the leader to bring about the much required unity to the Parliamentary Labour Party and keep its key policies in close alignment to the ambitions of the grassroots membership of the broader Labour Movement in the country.

For myself, I feel that decision has now become much clearer over the last few days.

Anyway, I am off to the office and therefore I will leave you good ladies and gents (if there are any others contributing) to continue to debate the minor issues in this election.

Anniebach Mon 17-Feb-20 09:06:28

Good grief , is Megan standing for Parliament ?

suziewoozie Mon 17-Feb-20 09:10:14

Wrong thread Grandad. If you repost it, I’ll forensically deconstruct it in 5 seconds.

MaizieD Mon 17-Feb-20 09:17:01

You could copy and paste Grandad's post across, suzie

suziewoozie Mon 17-Feb-20 09:18:14

Maizie nah. It’s like taking sweets off a baby.

Grandad1943 Mon 17-Feb-20 09:21:30

Apologies for placing my above post in the wrong thread, a case of "more haste less speed. Now I AM running late.

maddyone Mon 17-Feb-20 11:36:09

Apologies accepted Grandad.
So back to Harry and Meghan.
I hope the staff who have sadly found themselves to be redundant will find themselves another job quickly.
I think this latest action is a very clear indication that H+M have no intention of returning to live in the UK. I do hope that baby Archie will be brought to visit his British relatives sometimes and that Prince Charles will travel over to see him also. Estrangement from grandchildren/grandparents is very painful as many on Gransnet know, it will be nice if this situation doesn’t result in Prince Charles and Archie barely knowing each other.

jura2 Tue 03-Mar-20 21:55:22

Did you watch this, Very interesting, and I agree totally

Hilary Mantel has said that racism has been an element in the “invective” against Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

The novelist, who is about to publish the third part in her trilogy about the life of Thomas Cromwell, The Mirror and the Light, was asked by the BBC if Meghan had been a victim of racism. She said that “racism is a factor” in the criticism the duchess has faced since marrying Prince Harry.

“I think it’s more deeply embedded in people’s consciousness than any of us are willing to admit,” said Mantel. “So I hesitate to call her a victim but I think there has been an element of racism in the invective against her.”

V3ra Tue 03-Mar-20 23:24:40

I certainly don't "see" a person of colour when I see a picture of Meghan and am actually quite surprised when it's pointed out.
Might any perceived "racism" be down to anti-American feelings?

Sussexborn Tue 03-Mar-20 23:52:05

I wonder if suziewoosie sticks her tongue out when she posts. ?. It wouldn’t surprise me at all!

eazybee Tue 03-Mar-20 23:56:27

Rubbish.
It is Meghan Markle's complete indifference to royal protocol and tradition, her patent determination to split her besotted husband from his family, her intention to use her title to make money and her very transparent greed which has alienated the British public.

janipat Wed 04-Mar-20 00:21:10

I must admit initially I was totally unaware Meghan Markle was mixed race, but then again I was totally unaware that Ross Barkley ( a Chelsea player, the team I support) was also mixed race. I was thrilled that Harry was to marry her, thought she'd be a breath of fresh air, and looked forward to her participation in Royal Life. Theirs was one of the few Royal marriages I've watched on TV. Sadly I've been disappointed by both her and Harry. I do think for some racism and anti-American feelings have been deciding factors, but I do think Harry and Meghan could have risen above it. I hope they never have reason to regret their choices. I hope Meghan does bring Archie with her this time, the Queen and Prince Phillip won't have too many more chances to see him.

Anniebach Wed 04-Mar-20 08:49:10

Phillip faced racism when he married the Queen, and his sisters had married Germans, on this forum he has been called
Phil the Greek

Callistemon Wed 04-Mar-20 09:55:53

Is Hilary Mantel's view any more valid than anyone else's?
I am asking that quite sincerely, not to stir.

It's like celebrities offering their political views to the rest of us - does anyone actually care?

jaylucy Wed 04-Mar-20 10:00:43

Fingers in ear "La la la la la "
Nobodies business but theirs. They don't live in the UK now so why should they employ British staff.
If you believe everything you read, I feel sorry for you!

Chestnut Wed 04-Mar-20 10:15:57

eazybee It is Meghan Markle's complete indifference to royal protocol and tradition, her patent determination to split her besotted husband from his family, her intention to use her title to make money and her very transparent greed which has alienated the British public.
Spot on, absolutely right. She has been a social climber all along as many suspected. Better read that carefully suziewoozie because it's all there.

Anniebach Wed 04-Mar-20 10:16:09

They have Frogmore, they have Met security officers,

merlotgran Wed 04-Mar-20 10:16:49

What about the British security detail that the British taxpayer is going to be paying for, jaylucy?

It must be very difficult to keep your fingers in your ears whilst your head is in the sand.

Meghan might adopt it as a new yoga pose. grin

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion