Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ryanair's 'Racist' Comments

(63 Posts)
Lyndiloo Sun 23-Feb-20 03:13:46

Ryanair boss, Michael O'Leary, said today (referring to people who would carry a bomb onto an aircraft) that, "They will generally be males of Muslim persuasion," and subsequently has been slammed for being 'racist and discriminatory'.

A spokeswoman for the Muslim Council of Britain said, "This is the very definition of Islamophobia." She may well be right.

But shouldn't the first question be, 'Is this The Truth?' before we ask, 'Is this racist?'

GagaJo Sun 23-Feb-20 17:50:06

I love the way well meaning threads on Gransnet ALWAYS end up with bigots on them. It's tiring, all the adhering to the stereotype of the elderly.

Firecracker123 Sun 23-Feb-20 17:53:28

I always thought they ended up Boris, Cummings or Brexit bashing by remainers strange that ?

GagaJo Sun 23-Feb-20 17:55:21

You've got to admit, Boris makes an VERY big/easy target with amount of idiocy he gets up to/says.

LullyDully Sun 23-Feb-20 18:07:12

Last time I travelled on a plane, it was the oldies who were being body searched due to hip and knee replacements. Made me laugh. I don't care who they search as long as we can all fly safely.

Greymar Sun 23-Feb-20 18:08:54

" remainer" groan. It's so tedious.

GagaJo Sun 23-Feb-20 21:24:43

Disputes the 'Islamophobia is not racism' argument.

www.facebook.com/BBCRadio4/posts/10162931242175459?notif_id=1582492307358237¬if_t=page_highlights&ref=notif

tickingbird Sun 23-Feb-20 21:34:17

What is the problem? Why is the label racist attached to anyone that mentions muslim extremists. Do you Gagajo deny their existence? Do you deny they are the cause of all the delays and extra searching at airports across the world? Arr you really that blinkered?

GagaJo Sun 23-Feb-20 21:48:52

You are missing the point, tickingbird. It was a comment made WAY down the thread by another poster. Not you.

I fly monthly (I am ashamed to admit it. TERRIBLE for the environment). The biggest queue I've faced this year has been to get through immigration in a non EU country (in AND out). Exactly what we will have to come once we're completely out of Europe.

tickingbird Sun 23-Feb-20 22:00:20

I might have known Brexit would have to enter the discussion. I’m off to do something worthwhile. I find reading this nonsense depressing.

quizqueen Sun 23-Feb-20 22:06:14

I rather to be safe on a plane so I'd prefer more checks on everyone. BTY, Islam is a religion open to anyone so you can't make racist comments about it as it's not a race!

GagaJo Sun 23-Feb-20 22:16:10

1) Watch the video.

2) I couldn't agree more about being safe on a plane. Do all the checks they want. Scans. Searches. Pat downs. I don't care.

GagaJo Sun 23-Feb-20 22:18:34

BUT immigration REALLY was mobbed.

Several passengers flying to Ireland missed their plane, the exit immigration queues were so long.