Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ryanair's 'Racist' Comments

(62 Posts)
Lyndiloo Sun 23-Feb-20 03:13:46

Ryanair boss, Michael O'Leary, said today (referring to people who would carry a bomb onto an aircraft) that, "They will generally be males of Muslim persuasion," and subsequently has been slammed for being 'racist and discriminatory'.

A spokeswoman for the Muslim Council of Britain said, "This is the very definition of Islamophobia." She may well be right.

But shouldn't the first question be, 'Is this The Truth?' before we ask, 'Is this racist?'

EllanVannin Sun 23-Feb-20 07:54:03

O'Leary can talk----during the troubles in Ireland years ago, anyone who spoke with an Irish accent you were immediately wary of. They had the IRA who were active---the Warrington bombers.

EllanVannin Sun 23-Feb-20 07:55:51

Hyde Park bombers ? Nail bombs ?

suziewoozie Sun 23-Feb-20 08:01:00

I think he doesn’t help by giving opinions on security matters at airports. It seems to be working pretty well at the moment re terrorist attacks on planes. Maybe he should give some attention to the drunken dangerous behaviour of some of his white non-Moslem passengers who endanger aircrafts, cause disruption by forcing pilots to return to base or making unplanned landings.

suziewoozie Sun 23-Feb-20 08:05:19

If you type ‘Ryanair drunken passengers’ into google I think you’ll be amazed how many stories, just over the last 12 months come up. He’s clearly dead catting

Riverwalk Sun 23-Feb-20 08:07:14

of Muslim persuasion

That sort of phrase is akin to 'of a darker hue' or 'our coloured brethren'.

Used when people really want to say something else but have to hold back to seem to be reasonable.

suziewoozie Sun 23-Feb-20 08:07:34

Lyndi another question is ‘ Why is he saying it at the moment? ‘.

Iam64 Sun 23-Feb-20 08:09:58

Loathsome comment to make. I don't know if it breaches any race or equality laws but it breaches the 'don't make stupid, offensive comments' baseline

suziewoozie Sun 23-Feb-20 08:10:52

It’s obvious what his game is - I think I’m on the right track, There’s probably something going on with the CAA about Ryanair’s penchant for allowing drunks to board - hence the dead cat.

NfkDumpling Sun 23-Feb-20 08:15:50

Perhaps he wants to fast track families with children to speed things up? If he thinks an extremist wouldn’t blow up his children I fear he’s mistaken.

A woman on Radio Four (although I wasn’t listening with my full attention) implied such checks were sort of already in place. That a person’s passport details (history, country of origin, etc) told Security a lot at the first scanning - before you even got to the stage of removing your shoes and finding the ipad buried in your carry on case. It seems we’re being scrutinised more than it appears. Personally it reassures me - but then - I come under the heading White British.

(And he did point out that thirty years ago it would be the Irish he was worried about.)

suziewoozie Sun 23-Feb-20 08:23:38

Of course the security systems at UK airports are very sophisticated and increasingly so and are effective. MO has constant battles with the CAA including paying passengers compensation over flight delays and cancelled flights. He is using a racist trope to deflect attention from the fact that his airline has some of the worst on board drunken passenger incidents. Don’t fall for it - ignore his comment about Moslems and call him about his airlines failure to stop drunks boarding.

sodapop Sun 23-Feb-20 08:39:31

Agree suziewoozie The man clearly thinks we are all silly enough to fall for his rubbish.

Missfoodlove Sun 23-Feb-20 08:41:20

All airlines are guilty of allowing passengers on planes that have been drinking.
As long as alcohol is sold in airports it will be a problem.
The reason it’s so difficult to stop is that the perpetrators bags are on the aircraft by the time the drunk is at the gate, to remove the bags means the flight will be delayed causing great inconvenience.
The other issue is that although someone may only have had a modest amount of alcohol once at altitude the symptoms are exacerbated.

The reality is a Muslim male is more likely to be a terrorist than a white British female.
My SIL is mixed race, he is very often called to one side and swabbed, shoes off etc when traveling.
He flew to the US yesterday and even after clearing security he was taken to one side at the gate and then swabbed and searched.
He is fully accepting of the fact that he fits the profile of a terrorist.

Firecracker123 Sun 23-Feb-20 08:55:16

When I came back from Turkey (Antalya) last year all passengers on our flight to Manchester were body searched and swabbed this was after going through the normal security.

B9exchange Sun 23-Feb-20 09:02:21

The immigration service used to profile the people they pulled over for further questionning, they are not allowed to do that now. But virtually every single time I go through airport security I get pulled over and body searched, sometimes rather too intimately, and I am caucasian, blonde, over three score years and ten, with no implants, can anyone explain that? grin I am sure they pull over one in ten anyway and I am just desperately unlucky!

GagaJo Sun 23-Feb-20 09:09:20

If he's racially profiling, he's racist.

I used to teach RE. One of the facts I uncovered as part of the programme of study was that there are more Caucasian muslims in the world than Arab.

Although O'L is racist, I don't assume he's stupid. He's dead catting to deflect attention from his core problem group/main customers.

oldgimmer1 Sun 23-Feb-20 09:34:26

He may well be dead catting, whatever that is, but I don't believe he's racist.

Racism is calling out race, not religion.

Islamophobic possibly, but nonetheless stating a fact.

Firecracker123 Sun 23-Feb-20 09:47:48

Most terrorist attacks are carried out by Muslim men or Muslim converts. It is not racist to say this it is a fact.

GagaJo Sun 23-Feb-20 09:53:33

Really? What about white US terrorism? Or the Norweigan terrorist? Or the New Zealand terrorist?

It is a fact that far more terrorism is committed by white far-right males than Muslims. But that doesn't fit the Islamophobic mainstream narrative.

Encouraged by the western worlds current political swing to the right. With racist leaders. Supported by mainstream media.

Callistemon Sun 23-Feb-20 09:56:59

Missfoodlove if it's any consolation to your SIL I invariably get pulled over when going through airport security. I can scarcely think of a time I was not. Patted down, have had hand luggage searched, swabbed.
I am female, white, British, over 65.

I would try to avoid Ryanair at all costs anyway. He treats all passengers with contempt.

oldgimmer1 Sun 23-Feb-20 09:58:26

Gaga - O Leary is, as I understand, talking about passengers who are likely to be carrying a bomb on board an aircraft.

Overwhelmingly Muslim.

GagaJo Sun 23-Feb-20 10:00:45

Where is your evidence for Muslim risk on Ryanair OG1? Or is it Islamophobia masquerading as risk?

Kandinsky Sun 23-Feb-20 10:01:29

It is a fact that far more terrorism is committed by white far-right males than Muslims

How many people have Muslim terrorists killed & injured here in England in the last 10 years?
How many people have far right terrorists killed here in the last 10 years?

Does anyone have the figures?
I haven’t looked but I’m certain Muslim men have killed & injured far more people than white terrorists.

Yehbutnobut Sun 23-Feb-20 10:04:51

Now this is where I part company with my other self. No way would I ever condone a racist remark but on the other hand falling over backwards to ignore the obvious is, in itself, racist.

For example when a BBC reporter commented that the crowds on Brexit night were predominantly white, and was criticised for that. Well, that was true (and we know why!).

Now, this falls into the same category. Let’s not all rush to shout ‘racist’ even if the comments come from the likes of O’L.

There is such a thing called common sense that is a good filter and needs to be used more often.

GagaJo Sun 23-Feb-20 10:07:56

Oldgimmer1 was right when she pointed out it wasn't racism, but Islamophobia. I was using the wrong word.