Gransnet forums

News & politics

Diane Abbott quits the shadow cabinet.

(334 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 23-Feb-20 23:10:50

She’s stepping down, no matter who is selected as the next leader of the Labour Party.

I think it’s a vote catcher quite honestly.

tickingbird Wed 26-Feb-20 21:46:07

Judging by some of Dianne Abbott’s tv appearances I doubt she knows where she is!

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 21:24:20

grin Fake news.

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 21:23:08

Diane Abbott -
Nothing is made in the UK these days.
I just bought a TV and it said "Built in antenna" - I don't even know where the hell that is.

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 21:13:59

satire
/ˈsatʌɪə/

the use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

I guess that's my broad mind crashing up against a lack of vocabulary.

Chewbacca Wed 26-Feb-20 21:02:33

Completely agree with you Greymar, but getting some people to acknowledge that it doesn't matter what political party you cleave to, basing your opinions based on the colour of their skin, the way they speak or look, or how their name sounds, is racist. There's been a LOT of whataboutery on here from some people who have tried to justify it. It doesn't matter how long Diane Abbott or Priti Patel have been in office; the racism one has been subjected to does not trump the other.

Anniebach Wed 26-Feb-20 20:59:21

Good grief grandad43 if someone starts a thread on a topic
which is of interest to you then you would contribute etc

With respect that was so pompous

Ramblingrose22 Wed 26-Feb-20 20:58:43

I missed this thread when it started.

Urmstongran or anyone else who knows the answer - why is Diane Abbott leaving the Shadow cabinet a vote catcher, please?

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 20:57:48

Jesus loves you.

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 20:56:50

Greymar

Only YOU can bring out the best in yourself.

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 20:55:35

tickingbird

Is that fake news?

Greymar Wed 26-Feb-20 20:54:28

This certainly isn't bringing out the best in people. Ah well, perhaps that was the intention all along.

Chewbacca Wed 26-Feb-20 20:50:00

Mind you don't put your back out when getting down off that high horse Grandad1943.

tickingbird Wed 26-Feb-20 20:49:37

Add comment | Report | Private message ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 20:31:50
Diane Abbott was unable to attend HOC today because she was stuck staring at her orange juice box - It said "Concentrate".

You’ll get told off!

tickingbird Wed 26-Feb-20 20:47:57

No it is not racist one bit What isn’t? Or is? I’m lost. It’s all gone a bit loopy lou!!

Greymar Wed 26-Feb-20 20:33:32

No it is not racist one bit.

Greymar Wed 26-Feb-20 20:32:48

POGS, don't be so silly. If you are of a certain vintage and white British you will have been affected be negative images and words for many many years. It will have gone in at some level.

Grandad1943 Wed 26-Feb-20 20:32:34

Oopsminty, I have for several days now resisted posting in this thread in total disgust at the way the substance of the debate has turned on continual accusations of racism between forum members.

Should it be possible to debate on this forum British public attitudes in the post-second world war decades then I would happily contribute.

I do hold strong views in regard to people judging previous historical actions by today's standards, which I believe would make for an excellent thread.

However, I am very busy workwise at the moment and therefore feel I could not open such a thread and give it the attention I feel that opening posters should, but as stated I would contribute as much as my time allows to such a thread.

However, and with every respect, I will not be contributing further to this thread which I feel has descended to the lowest level of debate that I have ever witnessed since being a member of this forum.

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 20:31:50

Diane Abbott was unable to attend HOC today because she was stuck staring at her orange juice box - It said "Concentrate". ??

POGS Wed 26-Feb-20 20:23:32

Gagajo

'However, there are an entrenched minority that are not just ignorant (because that implies they don't know better) but that are willfully so'
----

Amen to that. However who ' the minority' are is in the eye of the beholder.

Anniebach Wed 26-Feb-20 20:22:23

I don’t know if there are racist private messages shooting back
and forth between some members, only those who send and receive racist private messages would know.

POGS Wed 26-Feb-20 20:18:22

GagaJo Wed 26-Feb-20 12:48:39

'And lets face it, there is a LOT of racism on this forum and there are almost certainly racist Private Messages shooting back and forth between some members. Pity GNHQ don't monitor those too.'
-

WHAT!

How the hell would you know. Are you making that accusation out of personal experience, is that what you are doing?

If you like Gagajo you have my permission to contact GNHQ to ask when and how many Private Messages I receive. You will find nothing, nada, zilch in my Private Messages to confirm your wild allegations.

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 20:10:15

[Hmmm]

Gransnet BunsNet ? ?

POGS Wed 26-Feb-20 20:07:57

Greymar Wed 26-Feb-20 12:39:50

' I think if you are White British and " older" you will be unconsciously racist.'
-

Speak for yourself!

In fact that is a racist comment which is pure irony.

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 20:07:53

Urmstongran I think it’s a vote catcher quite honestly.

? Yes.

Oopsminty Wed 26-Feb-20 20:06:29

Oooh, Grandad. I'm not doubting your post

But compared to my upbringing, yours was very different

I was at a private school. We had children from all backgrounds. Different faiths, nationalities, colour etc etc

My parents never mentioned anything remotely racist and happily entertained whoever I brought home with me

No matter what colour they were