News & politics

Megxit: The Queen had no jurisdiction over the word 'Royal'

(36 Posts)
ananimous Mon 24-Feb-20 18:43:06

Will Meg bring down the monarchy?

Harry getting shirty with Megxit:-
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxWeWbrzqA8

Callistemon Tue 25-Feb-20 13:10:48

It's not a dig at Meghan, it's a very funny clip about the differences between American English and British English

I found it funny, anyway.
All tickety boo

Callistemon Tue 25-Feb-20 13:08:35

Click the link, untwist the knickers grin grin

grin grin grin

Yet another thread where posters miss the point entirely
grin

maddyone Tue 25-Feb-20 11:58:57

I think that applies to the UK and all the Commonwealth countries.

NotSpaghetti Tue 25-Feb-20 11:56:28

I think the other issue is that under Canadian law, federal government permission has to be given if "Royal" is used corporately in either a name or if it suggests patronage.

I expect it would have been ok to use it in the USA.

maddyone Tue 25-Feb-20 11:13:07

At the risk of making Suzie lose the will to live, I also heard that Meghan took advice from political advisers, in particular Michelle and Barack Obama. Some of the difficulties are undoubtedly cultural.

trisher Tue 25-Feb-20 11:12:16

Loved the clip grin

Anniebach Tue 25-Feb-20 11:10:43

Cheer up suzie it will stop raining

Anniebach Tue 25-Feb-20 11:09:39

Megan’s advisor was the advisor to Hilary Clinton

maddyone Tue 25-Feb-20 11:04:11

Ok Suzie grin

suziewoozie Tue 25-Feb-20 11:02:57

Not again please not again

maddyone Tue 25-Feb-20 10:34:01

I think they’re being advised by Americans, and that’s the problem. They should have stuck with Buckingham Palace advisors. The arrogance of Meghan astounds me, my opinion obviously.
I have watched the clip this morning, I didn’t watch it last night as I was in bed, and my husband was asleep next to me, he would have complained. I have got the ear things but I’d have had to get out of my warm bed to get them.

maddyone Tue 25-Feb-20 10:30:01

NotSpaghetti grin

NotSpaghetti Tue 25-Feb-20 10:17:59

I'm afraid I can't help but think of potatoes when I hear "Sussex Royal". It would be good to change it for that reason alone as far as I'm concerned!
grin

Davidhs Tue 25-Feb-20 09:51:01

I’m actually surprised they thought “Sussex Royal” was a good choice for their identity. Not only was it likely to upset the Royals in the UK, it also is not popular in the US to flaunt your hereditary title. So using that to fund their “charitable” jet set lifestyle was very questionable.

As a couple it seems they are becoming a disaster area, their aims are just not realistic. As others have said Meghan is just an “also ran” actress who married a prince but now she wants to change all that while still retaining the status.

I don’t see a happy ending

Teetime Tue 25-Feb-20 09:10:41

Loved the clip!

vegansrock Tue 25-Feb-20 05:55:31

We can have Royal Doulton on our toilet bowl but Harry can’t use Royal in his company? Let’s hope the royals are all flushed away if they refuse to modernise.

Lucca Tue 25-Feb-20 03:06:44

“If she really said that then she has the most colossal cheek. What a nerve!”
If who said what ??

MawB Tue 25-Feb-20 00:06:59

Click the link, untwist the knickers gringrin

maddyone Mon 24-Feb-20 23:38:56

I don’t think Meghan will bring down the monarchy. I think she’s being disrespectful towards the monarchy and the Queen. I also think that it was obvious that she would not be able to trade on the royal connection, using the word ‘royal.’ She can use any other words to describe her website, but she can’t use royal. Apparently the monarch must give permission for anyone to use the word ‘royal’ in any commercial and or charitable venture or organisation. So we have Royal Mail and Royal Ballet and so on, permission given. Sussex Royal, permission denied.

ananimous Mon 24-Feb-20 19:57:12

Queen Elizabeth II is the male-line great-granddaughter of Edward VII, who inherited the crown from his mother, Queen Victoria. His father, Victoria's consort, was Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha; hence Queen Elizabeth is a patrilineal descendant of Albert's family, the German princely House of Wettin.

eazybee Mon 24-Feb-20 19:54:45

The Queen's English?

Chewbacca Mon 24-Feb-20 19:43:21

Liked that! grin

merlotgran Mon 24-Feb-20 19:36:19

The clip is funny.

MawB Mon 24-Feb-20 19:31:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Smileless2012 Mon 24-Feb-20 19:30:42

King Athelstan was the first king of England.