Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson to reject EU’s human rights laws after Brexit (warning - copied and pasted!)

(43 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 02-Mar-20 07:27:37

The Government is reportedly set to reject a request for Britain to remain aligned with European human rights laws.

EU negotiators are expected to request that Britain remains signed up to the European Convention of Human Rights (ECHR), but Britain is set to demand it be fully legally independent, according to The Sunday Telegraph. That would allow the country to repeal the Human Rights Act at a later date.

The EU’s opening position suggests it would automatically end all ‘law enforcement co-operation and judicial co-operation in criminal matters’ if the UK ‘denounces’ the ECHR. Boris Johnson’s Conservatives have long been sceptical of the Act, with the party threatening to scrap it previously.

The party’s manifesto says: ‘After Brexit we also need to look at the broader aspects of our constitution: the relationship between the Government, Parliament and the courts; the functioning of the Royal Prerogative; the role of the House of Lords; and access to justice for ordinary people.

‘The ability of our security services to defend us against terrorism and organised crime is critical. We will update the Human Rights Act and administrative law to ensure that there is a proper balance between the rights of individuals, our vital national security and effective government.’

It also claims that after Brexit Britain ‘will continue to be an outward-looking country that is a champion (and beacon) of… human rights’

Interim Liberal Democrat leader Ed Davey tweeted: ‘Britain should be championing human rights, not trashing them – and our global reputation along with.

‘After WW2 we helped create the European Convention & Court, with Churchill playing key role.

‘I love our country. This is not who we are.’

Labour’s former leader the party’s MEPs, Seb Dance, added: ‘The European Convention on Human Rights predates the EU. It was born in the aftermath of the horrors of WW2. It was drafted by British human rights lawyers – who were leaders in the field.

‘Today’s Conservative Party is an abhorrent mix of nationalists, nativists and narcissists.’

But quoting an editorial in The Telegraph, the Leave.EU group said: ‘the suggestion that the UK can’t be trusted to uphold human rights on its own is insulting and historically illiterate.’

metro.co.uk/2020/03/01/boris-johnson-reject-eus-human-rights-laws-brexit-12329467/?ito=social&fbclid=IwAR0HyXQFOENO469NuKRUCV32FJqw8dvmrW9IqQrvFwpqifHV8QD65toLF9Q

janipat Mon 02-Mar-20 09:10:22

Our economy can probably recover from leaving the EU given time ( and a lot of it!), but withdrawal from the ECHR is potentially so much worse. I wonder exactly which human rights BJ wants to remove from us? If we were going to retain them all, there'd be no point in withdrawing.

varian Mon 02-Mar-20 18:37:59

We are on a slippery slope.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 02-Mar-20 18:47:47

Yes I agree varian, this is a slippery slope and won't end well.

Joelsnan Mon 02-Mar-20 19:20:22

Before the 2010 general election it was proposed that the UK develop a Bill of Rights specific to the needs if the UK. The Conservative Party included this proposal in their 2015 manifesto, so this is nothing new and has raised little concern for the past 10 years.

varian Mon 02-Mar-20 19:30:48

How many leave voters voted for their human rights to be diluted?

POGS Tue 03-Mar-20 17:01:04

If the UK Government said it was abolishing the UKs Human Rights Act then that would give cause for alarm. We are now a ' third country' outside of the EU and it is perfectly acceptable to rely on the UK's Legislature under The Human Rights Act to decide what the UK as a sovereign nation abides by.
---

The Human Rights Act 1998 (c42) is an Act of Parliament of the United Kingdom which received Royal Assent on 9 November 1998, and mostly came into force on 2 October 2000.[1] Its aim was to incorporate into UK law the rights contained in the European Convention on Human Rights. The Act makes a remedy for breach of a Convention right available in UK courts, without the need to go to the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) in Strasbourg.
--

growstuff Tue 03-Mar-20 19:48:09

But why would the UK government want to abandon the ECHR? It helped write it after WW2. I don't believe for one moment that it wants to increase human rights, so it can only be because it wants to abandon some of the rights enshrined in the convention. I feel it would be an extremely damaging move by the UK government from an international perspective and I hope it will be resisted.

Davidhs Tue 03-Mar-20 21:24:13

The government has already started changing citizen rights you only have to look at the Windrush debacle, be sure it is their intention to ride roughshod over human rights.

growstuff Tue 03-Mar-20 21:53:09

Exactly David! I find it very worrying that they should even be suggesting this, when they have enough on their plate at the moment. It's not a priority and isn't necessary. I fear that it will be rubber-stamped because there isn't enough time to discuss it properly and people are bogged down with other news. Given the disdain which the government has already shown for the law, it's a real cause for concern. I have no doubt that Suella Braverman will be all for it.

quizqueen Tue 03-Mar-20 22:38:30

Yes, it's great that this country will be able to make ALL its own decisions again, isn't it. That's why Boris got his majority. You still don't get it, do you!

JenniferEccles Tue 03-Mar-20 22:54:48

I get it!
The fact that we would be able to get out of the dreadful human rights fiasco post Brexit was one of the reasons I voted leave.

So, good news!

growstuff Tue 03-Mar-20 23:55:13

Which human rights don't you like?

Which human rights fiasco?

I'm sure you realise that the ECHR predates the EU and is not an EU institution.

The UK was the main instigator in formulating the convention in the first place, in an effort to avoid a repeat of the horrors of Nazi Germany.

The UK has never been under any obligation to follow the rulings of the convention, so if abandoning the ECHR was one of your main reasons for wanting to leave the EU, you have been very seriously misled.

Johnson got his majority because people wouldn't vote for Corbyn and/or they are deluded. Quod erat!

growstuff Wed 04-Mar-20 00:07:20

The only continental European country (EU or non-EU) not signed up to the ECHR is Belarus.

This is the first paragraph of the Wiki entry on Belarus:

Human rights in Belarus have been described as "poor". The Belarusian government is criticized for human rights violations and its persecution of non-governmental organisations, independent journalists, national minorities, and opposition politicians.In a testimony to the United States Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, former United States Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice labelled Belarus as one of the world's six "outposts of tyranny".

Is that the kind of country you want quizqueen and JenniferEccles?

Davidhs Wed 04-Mar-20 06:30:46

Belarus is very much right wing and restrictive but probably in practice no different to Russia or China, so we have double standards here. There are trade sanctions against Russia and Belarus, yet China is getting away with state control of the population on a massive scale.

Around the world there are quite a few places where the rights of the individual mean nothing.

Nezumi65 Wed 04-Mar-20 07:17:44

The Tories have wanted to ditch human rights for a while.

It’s potentially a terrible loss for disabled people (have used human rights legislation to argue for appropriate support for my severely disabled son on a number of occasions over the last few years).

Nezumi65 Wed 04-Mar-20 07:20:12

This website shows how the human rights of people with learning disabilities are already being ignored in the UK rightfullives.net/

MaizieD Wed 04-Mar-20 07:30:48

How many leave voters voted for their human rights to be diluted?

Do you not understand, varian? They voted for other people's human rights to be diluted. Because, you know, human rights legislation is only ever used to stop the UK getting rid of terrorists and other evil people.

grannypiper Wed 04-Mar-20 08:35:56

I cant find the part that says he UK will abolish all Human Rights. We will have our own HR legislation and rightly so. We left Europe so we could make our own rules and laws.

MaizieD Wed 04-Mar-20 09:21:58

We left Europe so we could make our own rules and laws.

The European Court of Human Rights has nothing to do with the EU. It is an institution set up after WWII with an objective of preventing the abuse of human rights by regimes such as that of the Nazis. Britain took a key role in framing the European Charter for Human Rights, with the Court as an instrument to ensure that such rights are maintained.

It is a measure of the ignorance confusion of Leave voters that they are associating it with the EU. We have left the EU, not every single institution with 'Europe' in its title.

I really cannot see any valid argument for rejecting the ECHR. Humans are humans the world over; their 'rights' do not alter with their nationality. Taking human rights away from sections of the population are part of the descent into fascism.

MaizieD Wed 04-Mar-20 09:30:24

P.S. I don't for one minute believe that the tories want to change the UK Human Rights Act in order to strengthen our human rights protection. Anyone who does believe that (though from the comments about it on here I don't think they do believe that) is hopelessly naive.

Greta Wed 04-Mar-20 09:33:45

Careful, Maizie, you must not suggest that some Leave voters didn't know exactly what they voted for.

growstuff Wed 04-Mar-20 11:50:24

So which human rights laws and rules would you like to change grannypiper?

MaizieD Wed 04-Mar-20 11:55:05

I don't think you're going to get any answers, growstuff grin

Barmeyoldbat Wed 04-Mar-20 12:25:14

The ECHR was proposed by Churchill and drafted by British Lawyers and approved by the Council of Europe in 1953. In came into effect 40 years before the Treaty of Maastricht. So denouncing it as part of Brexit is load of old rubbish and it is British history not European legislation. You have voted for Brexit on a pack of lies that most of you believed without first doing your research.