Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nazarin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

(22 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Tue 03-Mar-20 12:53:05

John Simpson is reporting that she has/is about to be released from prison to stay with her family.

He doesn’t think this means she is free but the authorities are scared she will contract Covid-19 in gaol.

I hope that the Anglo/German/French offer to help the Iranians control the virus will see the release of our prisoners.

Curlywhirly Tue 03-Mar-20 13:30:15

Grannygravy that is good news, what a relief for her family. Let's hope she doesn't have to go back to prison and is released permanently, the poor woman and her family have suffered enough.

Firecracker123 Tue 03-Mar-20 13:43:45

Fingers crossed ? it happens.

GagaJo Tue 03-Mar-20 13:49:30

oh my! Lets hope it is for good, or even for prison in the UK. It would be preferable.

annodomini Tue 03-Mar-20 13:52:46

Iranian justice dept has stated that Nazanin is in good health, though the symptoms she told her husband about suggest otherwise.

lavenderzen Tue 03-Mar-20 14:22:06

I do hope this happens.

NanKate Tue 03-Mar-20 14:35:11

I do hope and pray this is true. This poor woman and her family have been put through untold cruelty and unhappiness.

M0nica Tue 03-Mar-20 15:23:14

I thought Emily Thornberry made a very good appeal to the Iranians in Parlisment yesterday.

She reminded them of how international teams of rescue experts, including British firemen and police (I think) had rallied round to help in Iran in 1990 when there were major earthquakes and suggested that as we rushed to their aid, when it was needed, regardless of political problems, now faced with a potentially global pandemic they should now release, Nazanin (and other foreign nationals in their prisons), regardless of political issues.

It will win the Iranians, international good will compared wit the opprobrium that will engulf them, if any of those foreign prisoners die of the Corona virus while in their prisons.

Kalu Tue 03-Mar-20 15:35:33

Yes, I heard Emily Thornbury’s appeal. Good on her and she states a very good case which I hope eventually allows Nazanin and others to be released.

Watching the Iranian Health Minister address so many whilst obviously very ill, I do wonder if Iran quite understands how contagious corona virus is !

Grammaretto Tue 03-Mar-20 15:37:07

Oh yes I do so hope it's true and she can be half free. Poor soul.

Dinahmo Tue 03-Mar-20 15:58:22

Good for Emily. it's a great pity that no one on the govt. front bench didn't see fit to do the same.

janipat Fri 06-Mar-20 12:20:39

Sadly it seems thoughts and hopes for her release were premature sad I really think we should try to step up diplomatic pressure for her release, although maybe that is happening behind closed doors. I can see we can't do anything that could be seen as making Iran lose face, Nazanin's future depends on subtlety not a sledgehammer.

GagaJo Sat 07-Mar-20 13:14:01

Have you heard anything else janipat? I keep searching the media and haven't seen anything.

I do think she has Covid19 but hopefully, she's young and will be OK.

janipat Sat 07-Mar-20 13:19:37

No, I can't find anything else. I think she may have the virus. Certainly her husband says she has symptoms, but as far as I read the Iranians were saying she's tested negative, but her husband was saying she hasn't been tested. While she has youth on her side if she does have it, I doubt whether her general health is that of a young person. We can only hope.

SirChenjin Sat 07-Mar-20 13:22:49

Fingers and toes crossed - this would be fantastic news if it were true.

JenniferEccles Sun 08-Mar-20 09:34:38

If she hasn’t been properly tested there is no way of knowing if she has the virus or not.

She must be nearly due for release soon anyway isn’t she?

Labaik Sun 08-Mar-20 09:50:03

But we still owe them millions of pounds; they won't release her till we pay them.

SirChenjin Sun 08-Mar-20 09:50:49

She won’t be released until 202, if the Iranians don’t change the goalposts, so no, not ‘soon’. Five years in jail for something she didn’t do, and an incompetent FS who could and should have done far more to secure her release. Appalling.

SirChenjin Sun 08-Mar-20 09:51:05

eazybee Sun 08-Mar-20 10:12:55

Iran does not recognise dual nationality, so there is no leverage this country can apply.
They say we owe the millions of ponds. They say.

Callistemon Sun 08-Mar-20 10:42:32

She was on hunger strike last year and I doubt prison food and conditions would mean she is in very good health.
We can only hope and pray that she will be released soon.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 08-Mar-20 11:26:30

Good news and well done Emily and shame on Boris for his part in the past.