Gransnet forums

News & politics

Aung San Suu Kyi Nobel Peace Prize question again

(3 Posts)
POGS Fri 06-Mar-20 18:39:54

Again I make no apologies for raising / bumping a thread concerning Aung San Suu Kyi and out of respect to others poster who have taken the time to over the years to engage so many times in the Rohinga Muslim /Aung San Suu Kyi threads in the past I put forward their contributions for those interested in her to read if they wish to in a couple of the threads.

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1240554-Rohinga-Muslims-genocide

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1270271-Aung-sun-su-chi-finally-at-the-Hague
-----

I have banged on about the fact some institutions/organisations have taken away their awards given to Aung San Suu Kyi but the Nobel Peace Prize still remains in her name which is shocking.

Yesterday, 5th March 2020 the City Of London revoked the Freedom of the City given to her 3 years ago. :-

"Today's unprecedented decision reflects the City Corporation's condemnation of the humanitarian abuses carried out in Myanmar," said David Wootton, chair of the CLC committee that deals with Honorary Freedoms.

"The argument for the removal of the award had been much strengthened by Aung San Suu Kyi's close association with Myanmar's government at the [Hague] hearing, as well as her lack of response [to the committee's letters]," he said.

Suu Kyi was originally awarded the honour, which dates back to 1237, in May 2017 in recognition of her "non-violent struggle over many years for democracy and her steadfast dedication to create a society where people can live in peace, security and freedom".
---

Amnesty International joined many others in stripping Aung San Suu Kyi of its highest honour, the Ambassador of Conscience Award a while ago too.

The question remains ' How on earth is she still a Nobel Peace Prize Winner'

janipat Fri 06-Mar-20 20:09:43

I can only conclude that the Norwegian Nobel Committee can't bear to admit that they made a dreadful mistake and misjudged Aung San Suu Kyi. Most of us that feted her have admitted we were wrong, she isn't the woman we thought she was, and condemn her for her denial/inaction about the Rohinga genocide. It is incomprehensible that they are unaware of her behaviour, so they are just ignoring it.
Just googled if any other Nobel prize awards have ever been revoked, and someone has posted that it is not possible according to that institution's statute. I don't have time at the moment to delve deeper, but if that is so, I'd recommend a change in the statute. It's an insult to every other recipient to be in the same company as her.

POGS Fri 06-Mar-20 21:26:53

Obviously I agree wholeheartedly with your post janipat especially when you say:-

'Most of us that feted her have admitted we were wrong, she isn't the woman we thought she was, and condemn her for her denial/inaction about the Rohinga genocide.'