Gransnet forums

News & politics

Oh dear Harry and Meghan

(1001 Posts)
MawB Wed 11-Mar-20 08:29:20

In this morning’s DT
THE Duke of Sussex has been duped into speaking about his decision to quit the Royal Family by hoaxers pretending to be Greta Thunberg, it was claimed last night.
The Duke was pranked by Russian jokers who convinced him he was speaking to the teenage climate activist and her father, according to The Sun. He alluded to tensions between his wife and himself, and the rest of the Royal family and also criticised Donald Trump, who he said “has blood on his hands.
The two phone calls were reportedly made to the Duke at his rented home on Vancouver Island, Canada, on New Year’s Eve and January 22, by Vladimir Kuznetsov and Alexey Stolyarov, known as Vovan and Lexus
Do you all remember how “Sheik gate” put an end to Sophie Wessex’s career plans? I fear that without the protection of a Royal Press Officer Harry risks being a bit of “an innocent abroad “

Namsnanny Wed 11-Mar-20 13:21:22

Your missing the point wicklowwinnie ...the royal family press office isnt forcing M&H down the public throats, harry and Meghan are doing it all by themselves!

If the RF press office were releasing tonnes of photos of them to obscure other problems you think thay are suffering from I could understand your perspective, but it's the Sussex who thrive on being in the news.

Anniebach Wed 11-Mar-20 13:26:31

What bullying ?

Namsnanny Wed 11-Mar-20 13:26:57

I agree with you smileless although I think we will be in the minority with regards to their over inflated view of themselves
It seems to me they are set to make a killing in the press as the new 'it' couple. At least that's what all their business advisers are banking on!
Unfortunately for us we shall be left picking up the bill for security and the use of connections with RF.
Hypocracy and greed.
Two of the most ugly traits.

Marydoll Wed 11-Mar-20 13:29:48

Namsnanny I totally agree.

Anniebach Wed 11-Mar-20 13:30:30

Security for Archie in Canada, security for Megan flying in and out of the country alone, security for Harry staying in
this country for a while longer.

merlotgran Wed 11-Mar-20 13:36:52

It does sound like Harry on the recording. Buckingham Palace are not issuing any comments....yet.

You'd think after previous hoaxes, Harry would be more careful but then Meghan deliberately poured her heart out to Tom Bradby so maybe they don't care?

JenniferEccles Wed 11-Mar-20 14:01:34

We have to ask ourselves how likely it is that Harry would agree to a discussion like that with a 17 year old even if that 17 year old is Greta Thunberg?

Highly unlikely.

Chestnut Wed 11-Mar-20 14:18:50

I agree this is a double hoax and it's probably not Harry unless he's completely stupid. If it's not him then surely the Police should be bringing charges.

Anniebach Wed 11-Mar-20 14:21:47

Surely they will sue !

Oopsminty Wed 11-Mar-20 14:27:48

We have to ask ourselves how likely it is that Harry would agree to a discussion like that with a 17 year old even if that 17 year old is Greta Thunberg?

Highly unlikely.

I think it very likely

I'm almost sure Harry would love a chat with Greta.

But this call was supposedly with Greta and her father.

Which makes it all the more plausible

I don't like these prank calls. They're not amusing.

But I'm pretty sure it was Harry.

Surprised so many don't believe it was him

wicklowwinnie Wed 11-Mar-20 14:34:24

No Namsnanny, I am not missing the point at all. The Royal family is all about survival. It always has been, and, with a couple of exceptions, none of them come out squeakyclean with their behaviour.
It is very easy to see why Harry and his family want to live abroad.

Anniebach Wed 11-Mar-20 14:39:28

Name them * wicklowwinnie*

eazybee Wed 11-Mar-20 14:50:38

I would imagine Mr. and Miss Thunberg will have something to say about their names being used in this way.

Namsnanny Wed 11-Mar-20 14:55:50

wicklowwinnie ... to drag every member of RF in to bolster your arguement, is silly.
I would infact challenge you or anyone for that matter to trace every member of their own family and not find d fault in them!
This discussion is about hm and the current rf.
Why is it easy to see hm want to live abroad?
This is a genuine question.
As the only thing different for them away from the British Isles, is here they are minor royals, abroad (ostensibly USA) they are top dogs!
That's the nub if it all imv

Anniebach Wed 11-Mar-20 15:06:35

It is easy to see why they want to live abroad, keep their privileges, house in this country no rent, no royal duties
security paid for and gain celebrity status in America .
No walking behind those of higher seniority

wicklowwinnie Wed 11-Mar-20 15:24:37

I am not responsible for the selective memories of you both.
As for why Harry wants to live abroad I think the answer lies in who is next on the throne?
Yes, my own family is very far from perfect but, as you say, this discussion is not about them.

Anniebach Wed 11-Mar-20 15:31:37

Agree wicklowwinnieit’ not about your family.

Who are the members of the royal family you claim are not
squeaky clean, do you mean divorced ?

As for your ‘Harry wants to live abroad lies in who is next on
the throne ‘

You mean Charles who is keeping them in luxury ?

This says more about Harry than his father surely ?

Smileless2012 Wed 11-Mar-20 18:17:57

For me it's not that they don't want roles as working members of the royal family, it's the way it's been done and the amount of money that is being spent on their security.

They should have talked about what they wanted with the Queen, PC and William, found out what they could have and then made their announcement.

H went behind the backs of his GM, his father and his brother and M has deliberately gone out of her way to upstage the rest of the family presumably with H's support and blessing.

IMO it does sound like H on the recording and if it isn't, why hasn't he issued a statement saying so? The pranksters have been identified so surely if it isn't H, legal action could be taken. They've not been backward at coming forward to sue newspapers so why aren't they saying something about this?

GagaJo Wed 11-Mar-20 18:21:16

Whatever keeps the population twittering and not focusing on the current health crisis is obviously fine with the powers that be. And to be fair, at least its a distraction.

Anniebach Wed 11-Mar-20 18:27:42

There are several threads on the current health crisis

MawB Wed 11-Mar-20 18:49:44

BBC and ITV news both seem to be giving the story credence. hmm

MawB Wed 11-Mar-20 18:56:54

And the authenticity of the recordings has not been challenged officially tcrhmm

Anniebach Wed 11-Mar-20 18:58:38

The incoming call would have gone through security first

GrannyLaine Wed 11-Mar-20 19:00:41

Its strange isn't it MawB? And the Palace have declined to comment. If I had to put money on it, I'd say its a hoax: the transcript doesn't sound like a natural conversation and as a previous poster said, Prince Harry's accent is not quite right.

Greymar Wed 11-Mar-20 19:11:39

What a shame, nobody seems to want to play Harry and Meghan bashing, better luck next time.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion