Gransnet forums

News & politics

Oh dear Harry and Meghan

(1000 Posts)
MawB Wed 11-Mar-20 08:29:20

In this morning’s DT
THE Duke of Sussex has been duped into speaking about his decision to quit the Royal Family by hoaxers pretending to be Greta Thunberg, it was claimed last night.
The Duke was pranked by Russian jokers who convinced him he was speaking to the teenage climate activist and her father, according to The Sun. He alluded to tensions between his wife and himself, and the rest of the Royal family and also criticised Donald Trump, who he said “has blood on his hands.
The two phone calls were reportedly made to the Duke at his rented home on Vancouver Island, Canada, on New Year’s Eve and January 22, by Vladimir Kuznetsov and Alexey Stolyarov, known as Vovan and Lexus
Do you all remember how “Sheik gate” put an end to Sophie Wessex’s career plans? I fear that without the protection of a Royal Press Officer Harry risks being a bit of “an innocent abroad “

Marydoll Wed 11-Mar-20 08:39:21

Whatever posessed him to actually disclose anything at all.
Naive and foolish to say the least.

I always had respect for Harry, but recently my opinion has totally changed. When I read how much it costs to protect him, when so many are living in abject poverty, I was disgusted.

Firecracker123 Wed 11-Mar-20 08:41:33

Is there an actual audio recording?

sodapop Wed 11-Mar-20 08:42:49

Fake news ?

Charleygirl5 Wed 11-Mar-20 08:43:09

I agree Marydoll- especially when they are coping I believe on £2 million a year.

MerylStreep Wed 11-Mar-20 08:56:22

I listened to the phone call and my first thought was: that's not Harry. It's good but not 'quiet right'.
After listening I listened to Harry's real voice. I'm convinced it's not him. But I could be wrong.

Iam64 Wed 11-Mar-20 08:56:29

I've just read a transcript in the DM on line. Putting to one side the difficulties in knowing whether your'e being hoaxed, I enjoyed reading his comments rather than being told what he thinks by people who have no idea.
Nothing he said made me dislike him. It confirmed my belief that he and especially his wife, are being subjected to a level of nastiness that says more about the people making the vile comments than it ever could about H&M.

eazybee Wed 11-Mar-20 09:26:55

I have read it and it sounds like carefully scripted jargon.
No idea whether it is true or not, but not impressed by the content. Would he really be so silly as to discuss his marriage over the phone with a seventeen year old, after all the blather about protecting his family from the evil media?

merlotgran Wed 11-Mar-20 09:47:58

PH needs to issue a denial if it's not true. The longer he leaves it the more people will believe it's genuine.

The palace used to issue statements in situations like this. Not sure what happens now.

JenniferEccles Wed 11-Mar-20 10:11:18

This hoax reminds me of the one some years ago where a couple of Australian DJs phoned the London hospital where the Duchess of Cambridge was being treated for severe morning sickness.

Amazingly they managed to convince I believe two nurses that they were speaking to the Queen!

I seem to remember that they were given information about her condition.

Of course the female DJ sounded nothing like the Queen and they were completely amazed that they were believed!

Calendargirl Wed 11-Mar-20 10:15:56

Yes, JenniferEccles and if I remember correctly, one of those nurses committed suicide as a result of the hoax.
The DJ’s concerned did not think it such a hoot then, and neither did the poor woman’s family.

Pantglas2 Wed 11-Mar-20 10:21:53

Just listened to it and there’s an ever so faint Australian accent to ‘Harry’s’ voice - I suspect another hoax.

MawB Wed 11-Mar-20 10:37:42

I truly apologise if I am spreading fake news. I would have expected the DT to check its sources more stringently, but it is a lesson that we can no longer trust even the broadsheet press. ??

MerylStreep Wed 11-Mar-20 10:45:00

I'm sure by now that someone has put this recording against Harry's real voice.
Harry's voice has a much lower timbre. I would like to think that Harry could tell the difference between a Swedish accent and a Russian one.

Summerlove Wed 11-Mar-20 11:21:39

Sounds like more “deep fakes” to me.
At least, I seriously hope it is

JenniferEccles Wed 11-Mar-20 11:22:15

As with all hoaxes the clues are usually there if we look.

wicklowwinnie Wed 11-Mar-20 12:47:01

This is so obviously fake news. What on earth is happening to this country? There is so much bullying going on regarding Harry and Megan. They are being used to take the spotlight off other members activity.!!!

Newatthis Wed 11-Mar-20 12:57:05

Yes I agree wicklowwinnie. There was something in the press this week about Megham and Harry 'out-staging' the Duchess of Cornwall as Meghan and Harry decided to do their 'last official visits' - school visit etc the same time as the Duchess was giving a talk to abused women. It was said that the Duchess of Cornwall was fuming. This is ridiculous. These things take months to plan ahead and the Palace are well aware (months ahead) as to who is doing what and where everything is and they are NEVER set to out-do each other. I know this for a fact because I have been involved with Royal visits.

Anniebach Wed 11-Mar-20 13:00:27

The visit to the school was a private visit , naturally it was expected to remain private, it wasn’t because Megan took a
photographer with her

Namsnanny Wed 11-Mar-20 13:01:16

They're not being bullied, how anyone can come to that as a conclusion is beyond me.

Namsnanny Wed 11-Mar-20 13:02:31

Annibach ...grin

Anniebach Wed 11-Mar-20 13:07:16

They deserve the criticism. After the Commonwealth Service
William and Kate posted photographs of - the Queen,
Sophie and Edward, Megan and Harry .

Megan and Harry posted photographs of the same event ,
photographs of ? Megan and Harry

Perhaps they thought they were the only family members there !

Mapleleaf Wed 11-Mar-20 13:11:05

I think it's a fake. I can't honestly believe Prince Harry would divulge anything about what might be or might not be going on in his family, or what he thinks of people to someone on the phone who calls up unexpectedly claiming to be someone well known.
I agree completely with Iam64.

Smileless2012 Wed 11-Mar-20 13:11:31

Yes they do deserve the criticism. Either they're completely devoid of common sense and decency or they have an inflated opinion of their importance.

wicklowwinnie Wed 11-Mar-20 13:14:15

Well, whether you agree or not about the bullying, keeping H and M in the news is taking all the attention away from the behaviour of other members of the Royal family, bullying takes many forms!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion