Gransnet forums

News & politics

Parking on Pavements

(13 Posts)
Aspen Thu 12-Mar-20 16:39:48

Great! The cost of kerb repairs in our area must by hugh. I regularly have to walk in the road.

Dee1012 Thu 12-Mar-20 10:50:27

I think it's wonderful.
My son uses two crutches to aid mobility and many times has needed to literally walk in the road in my area.

Although I do wonder how it will be "policed".

gillybob Thu 12-Mar-20 10:40:32

Exactly Pittcity the once lovely block paved pathways have all sunk because of parking .

gillybob Thu 12-Mar-20 10:39:34

My view is “bring it on” the sooner the better . The estate I live in is full of selfish lazy gits who park all over the pavements and corners and even in between the bollards that were put there to stop them parking ( someone obviously didn’t measure up the gap properly) . There are dedicated parking bays for each property but they’re all out the back and hardly anyone uses them . My DH says that our neighbours would park their cars in their dining room if they could .

EllanVannin Thu 12-Mar-20 10:39:22

I've got used to walking on the road in a place near me. There wouldn't be enough room anyway for wheelchairs or pushchairs on the cluttered pavements. What with vehicles on the pavement, you also have overhanging trees/shrubs so there's no chance of squeezing past. Then when the bins are out the road is the only place to walk.

Ellianne Thu 12-Mar-20 10:32:05

I have two large dogs and walking them on the pavements where there are parked cars is problematic, let alone the pushchair. I must admit to accidentally having scratched a car once with the metal dog lead when the dog pulled across me.

In our streets the bit nearest the houses is grass verge and the bit nearest the road is pavement (weird design), so if cars are parked on the hard bit we have to walk on the muddy slippery surface.

Pittcity Thu 12-Mar-20 10:13:33

Not to mention the damage it does to the pavements.

eazybee Thu 12-Mar-20 08:56:14

Oh yes.
I am looking out at the very short cul de sac opposite my house; on one side two commercial vans parked on the pavement, property of the owner, while his drive is empty; on the other side a large camper van, parked squarely on the whole pavement which has been there for the past two years and taken away for three weekends in total. The owner has a double garage, never used, and a double drive, empty at present. Anyone walking to the eight houses at the end has to walk in the road.

Chewbacca Thu 12-Mar-20 08:44:28

Hallelujah, can't bring it in fast enough around here. By the time I've tried to edge around 4x4 vehicles parked on the pavement, plus dustbins that are left on the pavement awaiting emptying, getting a pushchair passed is impossible. Sometimes, I'm not as careful as I should be!

Marydoll Thu 12-Mar-20 08:33:25

Parking on pavements has already been banned in Scotland since October 2019. People are so selfish, they are still doing it, making it difficult to pass with a wheelchair or pram.

ninathenana Thu 12-Mar-20 08:27:11

Basically I agree.
However, we have some local streets that were just not made for every house to own a car or two. Narrow roads parking both sides and although LA have made them one way if cars didn't have two wheels on pavement nothing would get through. Fortunately the pavements are wide. So in certain circumstances I can understand.
I'm glad we have a driveway.

lemongrove Thu 12-Mar-20 08:18:17

Yes, I have just been watching and listening too, and think it’s a great idea to ban it.??

Pittcity Thu 12-Mar-20 08:15:53

Just seen on BBC Breakfast that a ban on parking on pavements may be rolled out across the UK.
As a pedestrian I am very happy about this.
What's your view?