Gransnet forums

News & politics

Senate Republicans block emergency sick leave bill as outbreak spreads across US

(9 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 12-Mar-20 20:16:00

The virus is spreading. And they STILL voted against paid sick leave, to make sure virus carriers could stay off work.

That country beggars belief, it really does.

uk.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-senate-republicans-block-emergency-203155650.html

Callistemon Thu 12-Mar-20 20:21:11

And we are supposed to worry about what an American rag says about the British (other thread, sorry!).,

GagaJo Thu 12-Mar-20 20:28:02

The quote I used was by the DG of WHO. Unless I'm not reading you correctly?

M0nica Thu 12-Mar-20 20:44:36

They are Americans, what do you expect - an intelligent and compassionate reaction?

GagaJo Thu 12-Mar-20 20:48:24

Haha! But, one word. Obama. He's an American.

M0nica Thu 12-Mar-20 20:51:09

but he is only one, not most. The Republicans are in the majority and the President is a Republican.

So as I say They are Americans, what do you expect - an intelligent and compassionate reaction?

rosecarmel Thu 12-Mar-20 21:41:36

I think they blocked it because they want tax cuts- They want tax cuts because it will impact social security- They want it to impact social security because they would like to do away with social security-

Obama bailed out the banks and corporations and placed the burden on the American people- It wasn't compassionate-

mcem Thu 12-Mar-20 21:59:42

Reading a Twitter thread today I honestly couldn't fathom the US mentality.
Posters simply could not understand that by protecting / vaccinating as many people as possible they'd be protecting themselves. No concept of herd immunity.
Some argued that vaccinations could not possibly be provided free for the poor. After all you can't expect the scientists and doctors to work for no salary!!
Have they any understanding of how insurance works?
All dismissed as communist propaganda!

lemongrove Thu 12-Mar-20 22:08:07

Now everybody will perhaps realise just how good our own government is in handling this crisis and how they plan to help everyone, the sick, and small to medium businesses.

The only hope for the US is that Biden will beat Trump in the forthcoming election.