Gransnet forums

News & politics

The language of Corona

(96 Posts)
Greymar Mon 16-Mar-20 20:43:03

Herd, cull, self isolate. These trip off the tongue. They have a sinister sound to me, an Orwellian feel.

POGS Mon 16-Mar-20 20:44:19

Well I've made my opinion known on the threads discussing them so you know my opinion.

MawB Mon 16-Mar-20 20:50:31

I used to enjoy Corona lemonade, as a child.
I have never tried Corona beer though.

Oopsminty Mon 16-Mar-20 20:52:39

I find it very hard to believe that you find the term, 'herd' as in herd immunity, sinister

I find it even more hard to believe that you'd never heard of the term before!

Oopsminty Mon 16-Mar-20 20:53:38

I used to enjoy Corona lemonade, as a child.

Me too.

At the moment I keep singing My Corona to the tune of My Sharona

An ear worm that is driving me mad

Greymar Mon 16-Mar-20 20:55:51

Well, find away. because I haven't. Yes I do find it sinister. Seems, it's not just me.

Coronavirus outbreak
I’m an epidemiologist. When I heard about Britain’s ‘herd immunity’ coronavirus plan, I thought it was satire
William Hanage

POGS Mon 16-Mar-20 21:05:51

Greymar

I think you are talking about William Hanange writing in the Guardian.

Do you think it is satire?

Grannmarie Mon 16-Mar-20 21:09:12

Oopsminty, MawB, a little light relief..

Greymar Mon 16-Mar-20 21:15:05

POGS, don't know, too thick to work it out. I like this though,

Employers should guarantee sick pay, including for contacts of known cases, and do everything they can to discourage the practice of “presenteeism”

Labaik Mon 16-Mar-20 21:55:47

Yes; I think it's Orwellian to [but then I'm thick, aren't I]. I believe that, in France, people are being guaranteed all sorts of payments to help them if they can't work.

Oopsminty Mon 16-Mar-20 22:00:41

I’m an epidemiologist. When I heard about Britain’s ‘herd immunity’ coronavirus plan, I thought it was satire
William Hanage

Are you suggesting that William Hanage didn't understand 'herd immunity'?

That's rather funny!

Oopsminty Mon 16-Mar-20 22:01:29

Thanks, Grannmarie!

Just what's needed

lemongrove Mon 16-Mar-20 22:31:45

Where is the government wording ‘cull’ ? Surely you are referring to a piece by a journalist writing on economics.
Herd immunity and self isolating are self explanatory words which are relevant to a pandemic.
You may feel they have an Orwellian or sinister ring to them
But not many will I think.They are just words, at the end of the day, which have a clear meaning.

Luckygirl Mon 16-Mar-20 22:34:51

I do not regard herd immunity (a standard expression when discussing infectious diseases) or self isolation as being sinister.

CherryCezzy Tue 17-Mar-20 00:13:35

Is it not possible that by using the phrase herd immunity there is an attempt to invoke a sense in the mind of the public of 'safety in numbers' whilst also sending out the message to self isolate is to protect the entire herd?

I love that Grannmarie, me & my partner have been changing song lyrics to fit in with CV grin.

Does anyone think Corona pop would go down well at the moment? I've been thinking about it as my DM used to have some delivered on a Saturday.

Feelingmyage55 Tue 17-Mar-20 00:26:54

Corona pop was sold on the lemonade lorry that came round at the weekend. My mum thought it “common” to buy it and just it was just another banned treat.

Feelingmyage55 Tue 17-Mar-20 00:27:33

Missing the point of the thread.

Hetty58 Tue 17-Mar-20 00:30:24

We're to be shielded or cocooned (take your pick) in the vain hope that (by some miracle) efforts can be made to increase our measly stock of ventilators (as we have but 5000) in a few months time.

Meanwhile, we're failing even to protect doctors (plus their families and contacts) from a highly infectious virus by not providing the necessary protective gear. It all makes perfect sense as a sinister plan to reduce the pensions expenditure!

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/im-losing-faith-in-the-leadership-a-doctors-story-coronavirus

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200316143313.htm

B9exchange Tue 17-Mar-20 00:51:25

I suspect the phrase 'flatten the curve' will be appearing in dictionaries soon.

Greymar Tue 17-Mar-20 08:33:17

Operation last gasp. Great.

lemongrove Tue 17-Mar-20 08:36:41

Paranoia abounds...even on GN.

Greymar Tue 17-Mar-20 09:00:58

It is not paranoia. It is a terrible situation. I have always been interested in words. This interests me because I think words are powerful.

I am less interested in happy clappy BJ is great/I'm planting some shrubs/I've got a new dress threads. Each to their own eh?

Luckygirl Tue 17-Mar-20 09:06:45

It is indeed a terrible situation. But the words being used (except the nonsense "cull" from one journalist) are normal scientific parlance in relation to infectious diseases.

Greymar Tue 17-Mar-20 09:10:40

Can't be bothered arguing anymore. Hope everybody has a decent day.

Callistemon Tue 17-Mar-20 09:21:01

No, they're not the language of Corona, they are normal medical terms.
Apart from cull which was used by a journalist who only does it to annoy because he knows it teases.

MawBroon I remember Corona soft drinks and Beer at Home means Davenports.
Apparently Corona beers found that sales were down hmm

I was going to sort out my strawberry bed but it's raining.

Have a good day, Greymar, stay safe.

In the meantime, I think we all have enough problems of our own to be bothered with pedantics over medical terminology.