Gransnet forums

News & politics

Alex Salmond Trial Verdict

(241 Posts)
SueDonim Tue 24-Mar-20 14:06:26

Not guilty on twelve charges, not proven on one. So, he’s not a sex offender. His character, however, has been revealed as unsavoury, at a minimum, even his defence counsel said as much.

I hope no one ever votes for him again, if he should seek election. I stand with those nine (*nine!*) women.

Anniebach Tue 24-Mar-20 16:05:35

Does being a functioning alcholic make a person seedy ?

Mountbatten was bi sexual.

Galaxy Tue 24-Mar-20 16:05:39

Can I just get this clear. Are some people saying that when a court rules a man innocent the women are lying and then when a court finds a man guilty (weinstein) the women are also lying. Unbelievable.

Iam64 Tue 24-Mar-20 16:38:39

Galaxy - couldn't have put it better myself.
I agree, this verdict gives the go ahead to the kind of men who seem to believe they have the right to grope women, to behave in an offensive manner towards women and expect no criticism.

If nothing else, this exposes Alex Salmon as a serial adulterer. I hope it ends his political and public career.

Anniebach Tue 24-Mar-20 16:48:03

Galaxy. No, it’s a question , if the woman in the Salmond case were lying, were the woman in the Epstein case lying ?

The jury didn’t believe the women in the Salmond case

lemongrove Tue 24-Mar-20 16:48:25

I think it will Iam64
He has been cleared of the charges ( with one not proven) but that doesn’t mean he will be able to dive back into public life easily.
Granny23 I do remember you saying years ago that he is a charming man, but we can all be deceived about the real character of a person.I feel sorry for his wife and children.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 24-Mar-20 16:52:22

I wonder what was said at the trial that the Jury brought the not guilty verdict? I was on Jury service last year and the Defence barrister hardly bothered with questions, whereas the Prosecution was brilliant.
We were only on the Jury and we were thinking of questions that the Defence could have asked!
I wonder if the Prosecution was less than forceful?

Galaxy Tue 24-Mar-20 17:27:56

Its completely illogical anniebach. Either you believe in the legal process or you dont. If you dont you may as well say because Weinstein was lying about his behaviour then so must salmond have been.

Jabberwok Tue 24-Mar-20 17:29:29

Oh yes, Churchill certainly like drink often drinking to excess, along with the famous cigars, but I don't think that is sordid!!! Womanising as in President Clinton certainly is!!
Yes Mountbattan is alleged to have been bi-sexual, while Edwina was alleged to have had an affair with Nehru!! Never a dull moment!!!!

Jabberwok Tue 24-Mar-20 17:35:36

I don't think A Salmond has any children, lemon and his wife is considerably older than he is, not that that is particularly relevant. I don't really know what to think about his acquittal! It's hard to make a judgement.

Aspen Tue 24-Mar-20 17:39:49

I disagree with women/men being allowed to accuse somebody of an offence and remain anonymous themselves they can say anything they like. I believe no members of the public were allowed into the courtroom I supposed so nobody could identify the accusers.

The first woman's description of her assault left me wondering if I had heard right. He had striped her, striped off himself threw her on the bed and tried to rape her.

What was she doing in the bedroom with him in the first place. Bute House is hardly a little house with limited amount of rooms. Had everybody else gone home?

Anniebach Tue 24-Mar-20 17:45:09

Galaxy I agree it is illogical. I do not have great belief in
the legal system thinking of the many, many miscarriages of
justice.

For me , cases like Salmond’s and Epstein’s, women will continue to remain silent and women will lie.

In the Epstein case, a woman allegedly abused use to text him
and address him as ‘big boy’ ! after the abuse.

Jane10 Tue 24-Mar-20 17:59:45

Why would these women lie? It must have been appallingly stressful for them in the run up to and duration of the court case. There was nothing but humiliation in it for them.

Galaxy Tue 24-Mar-20 18:08:44

Indeed the sexual behaviour of men is always women's fault. If a man cannot manage being in a bedroom with a woman he shouldn't be allowed out.
I cant begin to believe that anyone would defend epsteins behaviour. I would never report a sexual assault annie because of the views which are prevalent on this thread.

GrauntyHelen Tue 24-Mar-20 18:20:34

I'm disgusted at the verdict Jackson as good as admitted he had done it all but claimed he had not acted criminally since when was that a defence ?! I used to work in the court service and can't help thinking that the jury just wanted to get it over and go home No way was there time to carefully consider each verdict and there were majority decisions with only 13 jurors As I said disgusted

Jane10 Tue 24-Mar-20 18:27:35

Galaxy no point in reporting such crimes in Scotland anyway judging by the outcome of this case. ?.
Those poor women. I hate to think how they are feeling today.

Galaxy Tue 24-Mar-20 18:34:25

I think that is becoming a fairly common view, Ched Evans, the Irish rugby players, it just goes on and on, why would anyone report.

Grannyjay Tue 24-Mar-20 18:40:01

I cannot believe just because he isn’t charged you think these women lied! I remember being told if it actually reaches court they are most probably guilty. Sadly I do not have faith in our justice system when the lawyers can know they are guilty but have to fight their corner to get them off! I know of a man who raped a friend but he got off and she didn’t lie!

Grannyjay Tue 24-Mar-20 18:44:50

Aspen you could also say if a rapist has been accused or charged before for a rape they cannot use that offence in a fresh case either! There have been men that have raped and because they cannot use that they have got away with it. When the jury had been told afterwards they have broken down in tears.

SueDonim Tue 24-Mar-20 18:47:47

Aspen if you read the daily reports of the case it explains exactly how and why AS and the woman were in the bedroom. It doesn’t look good, the details are stomach churning.

Sparklefizz Tue 24-Mar-20 19:12:46

Jane10 Why would these women lie? It must have been appallingly stressful for them in the run up to and duration of the court case. There was nothing but humiliation in it for them.

I totally agree.

citygranny Tue 24-Mar-20 19:16:41

Met him once wont go into detail ...will just say he should of been charged!!!

eazybee Tue 24-Mar-20 19:34:32

I don't think the evidence the women gave was sufficient for the charge of sexual assault; I would have said sexual harassment but I don't have knowledge of legal terminology.. He said the sex was consensual; I did wonder what the women were doing in his bedroom when they apparently professed to dislike him.
Equally, I din't think they were lying, although one woman was proved not to have been there on the night the alleged incident took place.
But no way should he be allowed back into the political party.

trisher Tue 24-Mar-20 20:01:09

If nothing else, this exposes Alex Salmon as a serial adulterer. I hope it ends his political and public career.
And yet our PM has exactly the same history!
I don't know what was going on and as I have said would want to hear more. If it should prove that this was some sort of political campaign I can only think that these women have done a great disservice to other women. It is hard enough for women to get convictions in cases of assault as it is. If as it seems what happened was sexual harassment and not sexual assault I wonder why it was taken to court and not dealt with by the SNP. Surely it would have been easier to have an enquiry and discipline him? Now it seems he has got away with bad behaviour because of legal niceties. But I await the full story and his excuses.

ananimous Tue 24-Mar-20 20:04:47

Wouldn't surprise me if they put him in the house of lords.

paddyanne Tue 24-Mar-20 20:17:29

he didn't admit to being a serial anything ,he said he's no angel but that he didn't have sex with the women as he knew it was wrong BEFORE it got to that stage He apologised SHE accepted the apology .I dont know whose accounts of the trail you've been reading.The trial report I read said one woman 's complaint was he "played with her hair" Her workmakes confirmed everyone tweaked her curly hair as they passed because it was so springy and they all including her thought it was funny.One woman stated that he touched her through her clothes....on her arm .Must have been a very suggestive touch IN public .Another said he touched her knee in a car ,the defence showed that wasn't pssible with the layout of the car especially as it had other occupants as the armrests were between the seats .And it goes on Most of these wouldn't have got near a court before the Metoo campaign.
I have met Alex and Moira and I can confirm what Granny23 said before the trial ,he was the least sleazy man I have ever met and believe me I've come across a few .He adores his wife who is now in her 8o's.There are facts that weren't allowed to be used in court because the person involved wasn't a complainant but they will be disclosed by AS in time .
I t was taken to court Trisher simply to discredit him and keep him out of political life.The civil servant (appointed by WM) who encouraged the allegations appears to have sent e-mails to WM and Holyrood asking for "any dirt on AS" .One of the women who made such a complaint had been turned down as a contender for an SNP seat and was telling anyone who would listen that Alex will pay for choosing someone else.
Politics is a dirty business ,but getting knocked back for achance at aseat shouldn't be grounds for a court case