Gransnet forums

News & politics

Alex Salmond Trial Verdict

(241 Posts)
SueDonim Tue 24-Mar-20 14:06:26

Not guilty on twelve charges, not proven on one. So, he’s not a sex offender. His character, however, has been revealed as unsavoury, at a minimum, even his defence counsel said as much.

I hope no one ever votes for him again, if he should seek election. I stand with those nine (*nine!*) women.

paddyanne Tue 24-Mar-20 20:18:28

ananimous SNP dont believe in the House of Lords ,we dont put anyone forward for it .Elected representatives is all we have .

ananimous Tue 24-Mar-20 20:24:50

OJ Simpson was innocent.

Roman Polanski, not innocent, but free as a bird, the chosen few.

Truly Princes amongst men, hahaha.

Absurd to think otherwise...

Jane10 Tue 24-Mar-20 20:25:03

The difference between Boris and Alex is that no woman has complained about Boris.
Salmond has not come out of this well. The SNP is in for a bumpy ride when all the shady dealings come to light.
That aside Salmond is a creep to be avoided by women.

M0nica Tue 24-Mar-20 20:31:18

Yes, he was, but how he functioned!

I think the world of Scottish politics, law etc is vicious nasty and poisonous, and if revealed would make even current Labour shenanigans look as white as driven snow. More in common with the Mafia than anything.

SueDonim Tue 24-Mar-20 21:37:25

Salmond is not an honourable man. We’ve certainly learnt that. It’s true that others are also not honourable but whataboutery is not an argument.

Some of the comments here about the nine women, some of which amount to ‘she was asking for it’, are exactly why women don’t report sexual harassment or assault. It’s misogyny through and through.

Anniebach Tue 24-Mar-20 21:45:01

I don’t believe 9 women lied, what did they have to gain ?

Floradora9 Tue 24-Mar-20 21:45:25

There seems to be new allegations from women in London so it might all start again.

Granny23 Wed 25-Mar-20 09:40:58

It does not necessarily follow that witnesses/accusers lied. They told their truth as they saw it and AS told his version of events. Presumably the jury found his explanations more compelling i.e. that things were consensual, or done in jest.

I remember years ago that there was a story line on a soap where a lovely young boyfriend/girl friend had sex. Shortly after the girl regretted it and cried rape. The story line then progressed to show that SHE felt raped, while HE was entirely sure that it was a consensual, loving progression of their on-going relationship.

ananimous Wed 25-Mar-20 09:43:57

Well if it was on a soap hmm

Granny23 Wed 25-Mar-20 10:42:41

I used that merely as an illustration. How many of us have, with a few drinks taken, let things go too far and the following morning, woken up with a hangover and serious regrets, embarrassment, sense of shame? Would we call that scenario rape or blame it all on the man, or chalk it up to experience?

ananimous Wed 25-Mar-20 10:45:34

hmm To conform to your way of thinking I would have to drop half of my scruples.

ananimous Wed 25-Mar-20 10:47:02

No can do.

ananimous Wed 25-Mar-20 10:49:53

I bet Philip Scofield is kicking himself that he didn't keep his secret a bit longer, now.

Jane10 Wed 25-Mar-20 10:54:20

confused

eazybee Wed 25-Mar-20 11:11:02

I don't think the women were lying, and I think Salmond's behaviour was/is reprehensible. But if you know this man to be a sexual predator, and you don't like him, why on earth would you go into his bedroom with him? These weren't naive young women frightened for their jobs; they must accept some responsibility.
I don't like Nicola Sturgeon and I don't like the SNP, but I don't believe they were elected because of dishonourable conduct. However, if this is internal power politics, it stinks.
Stinking fish indeed.

Sussexborn Wed 25-Mar-20 12:16:16

Salmond seemed to be inferring that Nicola Sturgeon was bent on destroying his reputation in order to further her career and that he has proof.

I wonder if the jury just wanted to escape from the court room so that they could self isolate like the rest of the world?

Anniebach Wed 25-Mar-20 12:20:37

Seems he was a randy chap.

Iam64 Wed 25-Mar-20 12:58:38

Grany 23 - hand on heart, no I've never with a few drinks taken let things go too far and woken up with a hangover, serious regrets and sense of shame. And if I did, no, I wouldn't call that rape.
Alex Salmond sounds to be a throughly unpleasant man, with a sense of entitlement and no loyalty to his wife. To call him a randy chap diminishes the way he's behaved. nothing wrong with being randy, everything wrong with getting drunk in work settings and imagining any woman within touching distance is going to fall at your feet.

SueDonim Wed 25-Mar-20 13:20:13

Really, Eazibee? Accept some responsibility when faced with the most powerful man in Scotland? Did Salmond have no duty to act responsibly towards his staff? You’re basically saying that those women deserved what they got.

Jane10 Wed 25-Mar-20 13:20:59

I haven't either.

SueDonim Wed 25-Mar-20 13:27:48

Speak for yourself, Granny23. I’ve never done that.

eazybee Wed 25-Mar-20 13:36:00

No I am NOT saying they deserved everything they got.

I am saying that mature women with a previous knowledge of the behaviour of a man like Alex Salmond had the opportunity to make the choice to leave his company.
I didn't hear that he dragged any of them into his bedroom, but as I have read only a few accounts of some of the trial, I may be wrong.

And as for being the most powerful man in Scotland?
Droit de seigneur? Really?

Anniebach Wed 25-Mar-20 13:44:46

They went into a bedroom which means this devoted husband
wasn’t a devoted husband , he betrayed his wife , not the doting couple claimed on this forum.

SueDonim Wed 25-Mar-20 13:49:45

I think we know enough about AS to know that he tried to exert power over everyone. That’s how he got where he did.

These were young women, not all mature women, possible overawed, maybe unassertive, who knows? I don’t believe they were dragged to the bedroom but they were told the heating wasn’t working properly at Bute House and that the bedroom was the warmest place to work in. If up until that point they had had faith and trust in AS they’d not have thought they were at risk.

Aspen Wed 25-Mar-20 16:40:19

"The heating wasn't working properly"!

Have these women just been released from a convent?