Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hooray for the NHS Voluntary Army

(42 Posts)
Sparklefizz Wed 25-Mar-20 16:10:48

I am humbled by how quickly 250,000 people have come forward to help the NHS. Wish I was well enough to join it myself.

As has just been said on TV, we will all be judged by how we have stepped up during this crisis, whether by word or deed. There are some wonderful kind and caring people, my lovely neighbours amongst them (but unfortunately not on the GN thread about PC .... sigh)

Grannybags Wed 25-Mar-20 16:14:25

I agree. I felt quite emotional when I heard that 1 person every 3 minutes was signing up.

Bridgeit Wed 25-Mar-20 16:17:24

Well, Sparklefizz you and your thoughtful post has already made up for some of the not so pleasant views & comments sometimes seen on Gn.
Kind thoughts & best wishes

Sparklefizz Wed 25-Mar-20 16:20:48

Thank you, Granny and Bridgeit. I feel quite tearful and also proud of those people and of our amazing NHS. I would like something special to be done for all those front-line nursing staff once all this is over.

Kind thoughts and best wishes to both of you.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 25-Mar-20 16:24:04

Mr.GG and I were talking about this last night, would love to have volunteered but he is too old and I am asthmatic so neither of us qualifies.

There are an awful lot of good and generous people in the UK and we can only hope that they officially are recognised when we come through this ordeal.

Smileless2012 Wed 25-Mar-20 16:30:48

A lovely thread Sparklefizzsmile. We've found that simply 'phoning people we know to be locked in has really lifted their spirits and brightened their day.

It doesn't take a lot to spread a little happiness and all those who have volunteered are to be commended for their generous spirit.

Let's pray they all stay safe.

Sparklefizz Wed 25-Mar-20 16:36:17

I completely agree, Smile. I am phoning people too, and also lucky enough to be on the receiving end of phone calls and emails, and they make all the difference.

Stay safe everybody. smile

EllanVannin Wed 25-Mar-20 17:14:14

405,000 responses Boris said before in his speech.

Daisymae Wed 25-Mar-20 17:25:44

Amazingly good response

Tooting29 Wed 25-Mar-20 18:36:03

Yes it's a great response and national effort. I have join our local village group and whilst I am limited to what I can do. I'm happy to do the chat on the phone if it helps.

SalsaQueen Wed 25-Mar-20 19:05:56

It's marvellous, and goes to show that there ARE good people about.

I've signed up for it (I'm 60 and only work in the mornings)

sodapop Wed 25-Mar-20 20:03:51

My granddaughter has signed up as she is on furlough from her job. I'm proud of her.

Ginny42 Wed 25-Mar-20 20:11:46

I do think this reflects the true nature of the British people and not the selfish or loutish behaviour we read of.

imacmum Thu 26-Mar-20 09:31:18

I’ve signed up too, my sister and her partner are in the vulnerable group and I’m already helping them so might as well help a few more

Theoddbird Thu 26-Mar-20 09:47:02

I volunteered. I can phone people and chat and check they are ok. This is something many can do. It was easy to register. If you are stuck at home feeling useless as I was register today.

Sparklefizz Thu 26-Mar-20 09:51:02

I am phoning loads of people. No time to do all those chores I'd planned!!!

I am rallying the neighbours to join in the Clap for Carers which is nationwide this evening, 8pm on your own doorstep, to give a round of applause for the NHS and all carers - it's nationwide and is being advertised on BBC Breakfast, the radio etc.

Pass the word round. We may not be able to sing from our balconies but this is something we can join in with.

patricia1958 Thu 26-Mar-20 10:13:40

Tonight at 8.oclock is clap time for all the people who are working hard to keep are country going I'm going to let as many people know that I can

blondenana Thu 26-Mar-20 10:15:55

My grand daughter has also volunteered, and i'm proud of her for doing so, as she can normally be quite selfish, so doubly surprised
Also a friends sister has come out of retirement as an SRN to volunteer nursing

NotSpaghetti Thu 26-Mar-20 10:27:54

I know the NHS staff are at the centre of our thanks and thoughts but can we also feel grateful for the cleaners, hostel workers, prison officers, police, care workers, social workers and other front line staff who are going above and beyond the call of duty.

Then let's think about the shelf-stackers, delivery drivers, factory workers, logistics people and "back room" people who are essential to the running of things.

As one ICU consultant on the radio the other day said, I can't do my job till the cleaners have been in.

And yes. It's great to have so many volunteers!

4allweknow Thu 26-Mar-20 10:36:36

Wonderful that so many people want to help. I am sure there will be loads of jobs for them but not sure about all the personal checks that are usually done even for volunteers before being allowed near customers of the NHS ie criminal background checks. The system won't be able to cope if checks have to be carried out and they can take a while to process.

MarciaB Thu 26-Mar-20 10:50:26

I’m incredibly proud of my girls, one has signed up to become a first responder for the NHS and the other a Headteacher is looking after NHS and essential services children. Not all younger people are selfish stock pliers.

Mercedes65 Thu 26-Mar-20 10:58:17

It's really wonderful how people have rallied round in these circumstances. What comes as a surprise, but it shouldn't really, is how many young people have come to the fore. One young lady near us gave the elderly a card - green on one side red the other. Display in your window green if ok, red if you need help. She and her friends check every day to see if her neighbours are ok.

Rosina Thu 26-Mar-20 10:59:56

I am finding so much that is good right now in this alarming time - we are a WONDERFUL nation and as always, throughout history, we are pulling together, coping, and managing to laugh at ourselves too.
(Oooooh - I can almost hear 'Land of Hope and Glory' playing)

annsixty Thu 26-Mar-20 11:10:31

My ex DIL is going to ferry medical supplies about.
She is one who normally puts herself first but she did a sterling job getting donations for food banks and packing bags at C.......s.
We all have lots of good in us. It sometimes just needs teasing out.

Gotthattshirt Thu 26-Mar-20 11:13:17

I’m a bit confused by this volunteering request. If we’re meant to stay at home and maintain social distancing how is it ok to go out and deliver medical supplies or transport folk home. Lots of social contact there and in high risk areas.
I wanted to volunteer-my husband viewed the risk too high. We rowed and the atmosphere is still strained.
Your views please.