Gransnet forums

News & politics

What a sick, excuse for a human being!

(29 Posts)
phoenix Mon 30-Mar-20 18:42:37

Heard on Radio 4 News, a boxer, Billie Joe Saunders, has had his licensed withdrawn following a post on social media where he gave advice on how to hit women during lockdown! [angangry

vampirequeen Mon 30-Mar-20 18:46:50

That's disgraceful.

Sparklefizz Mon 30-Mar-20 18:47:01

Yes, I read about that online yesterday. Totally shocking [anger]

phoenix Mon 30-Mar-20 18:48:14

Damn, posted too soon!

Still very angry

I hope that other actions, apart from withdrawal of his licence, are taken. People can be prosecuted for posts that invite facial hatred, surely this "person" should be brought to account?

Yes, of course he has apologised, but what sort of low life would even think of posting something like that?

Oldwoman70 Mon 30-Mar-20 18:49:09

Someone on "social" media said it was just a joke - how can domestic abuse ever be described as a joke

phoenix Mon 30-Mar-20 18:49:23

NOT FACIAL!

Damn auto correct.....

M0nica Mon 30-Mar-20 19:18:49

Oldwoman70 that was exactly my reaction. It is the classic excuse of the bully and abuser 'I was only joking'

phoenix Mon 30-Mar-20 19:20:28

So he has pledged some amount of money to women's abuse charities and so he should!

People like him make me think that the medieval stocks should be considered for a comeback!

Smileless2012 Mon 30-Mar-20 19:23:38

Reminds of when Mike Tyson said the punch he threw that blacked his wife's eye was one of his best ever.

Stocks are too good for him.

M0nica Mon 30-Mar-20 19:45:30

Too easy to just try to buy yourself out of trouble. It won't work anymore than it will for well known empoyers who sacked their workers out of hand when Covid-19 started and then desperately started taking them back and donating money to good causes, when every one complained.

We will remember.

Blinko Mon 30-Mar-20 19:53:09

Not all boxers are thoughtful men. Mohammed Ali was the exception, not the rule. I would like to think this man was joking, at least to the extent that it wasn't intended to apply in RL. What a prat!

phoenix Mon 30-Mar-20 20:06:37

PRAT? PRAT? Understatement of the week, Blinko! I can think of a word that I generally consider unacceptable that I would apply to him.

And if he was "joking" and didn't intend it "to apply in RL" then why the f*c# did he post it!!!!

Galaxy Mon 30-Mar-20 20:12:16

He has form. This is the third incident. He is a very unpleasant man.

Callistemon Mon 30-Mar-20 20:40:25

I have never heard of him, but that is disgraceful.

I did say today to DH that there are so many lovely posts on social media of parents at home with their children, working together, playing together but there must be some poor little souls who are going through more hell than usual because their father or even mother is at home all the time.
sad

BradfordLass73 Tue 31-Mar-20 01:49:41

It is the classic excuse of the bully and abuser 'I was only joking'

True.
As we saw on another thread about so called jokes which seemed to make a lot of GNers laugh.

Discrimination and derogatory stereotyping (racial, gender etc) is often used as humour.
It's never funny to demean a human for any reason.

Blinko Wed 01-Apr-20 22:15:27

Phoenix it does seem that he's a horror. I was giving him the benefit of any doubt. But it seems there's none in this case. Looks like for some reason, the current climate is bringing out people with such hideous views.

Grandad1943 Thu 02-Apr-20 08:24:46

Boxing is the only sport in which the object of victory is to injure your opponent and knock him or her senseless.

The above is what those engaged in the sport train for and carry out throughout his or her working day. Therefore why should anyone feel that they will behave differently in any domestic or social setting?

In my view, Boxing should have been banned in Britain many years ago. However, that is extremely unlikely to happen as there is too much money to be made from the "spectacle" by a large number of people.

Galaxy Thu 02-Apr-20 08:32:48

Those laughing and cheering him on arent boxers.

Grandad1943 Thu 02-Apr-20 08:44:13

Those cheering on boxers are of the exact same mindset as those in the ring.

Simple as that.

SirChenjin Thu 02-Apr-20 08:48:22

I suspect this has less to do with the sport he’s engaged in and more to do with his views (and his ‘supporters’) on women. Delighted to hear that the boxing authorities have taken a stand and suspended his license, hopefully they’ll remove it permanently. Revolting man.

Grandad1943 Thu 02-Apr-20 08:53:14

Boxing symbolises that violence is acceptable in our society, and that is especially prevalent to young people who are at the outset of forming their opinions in life.

Boxing should be banned in Britain outright and media companies stopped from broadcasting it.

Lucca Thu 02-Apr-20 08:57:20

Good post Bradfordlass.

Grandad43. Weirdly I confess to having two sons who watch boxing sometimes, but who are two of the kindest most peace loving men you could wish to meet. I have never understood it.

This man may well say he was joking but the tragedy is there those watching it who will take it seriously and act on it.

SirChenjin Thu 02-Apr-20 09:03:01

Far too many men from all walks of life think that it’s funny to joke about battering or raping women - it’s absolutely rife on social media.

Grandad1943 Thu 02-Apr-20 09:06:27

And the sport of Boxing demonstrates exactly how that out by both men and women.

SirChenjin Thu 02-Apr-20 09:09:41

You can read more on rape culture here en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_culture but there lots of research into how social media provides an outlet for these kinds of ‘jokes’ as it becomes normalised.