Gransnet forums

News & politics

Chinese medics arrive in England to help fight the virus.

(76 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 30-Mar-20 20:11:32

mobile.twitter.com/DeborahMeaden/status/1244621078493827072?s=04

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Apr-20 08:54:44

gg13 co2 and air pollution and its rapid decrease will be true of every industrialised country. Haven’t you noticed the quality of our air and the stars since lockdown?

China is undoubtedly the biggest producer followed by USA. Every time we buy something manufactured we are culpable.

I agree that there are cultural practices in China that many in the west find hard to swallow, not least the treatment of the Uihgurs. Difficult to point fingers given our history though.

However that doesn’t mean pressure should not be brought to bear to try to stop various practices, through such auspices as the UN, WHO etc

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-Apr-20 09:01:36

Blimey Whitewavemark2 I totally agree with your last post.

Can you see good coming out of this horrendous situation, I do hope so.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Apr-20 09:09:24

? excellent . Good debate though thank you.

I am hoping very hard that this will give the world time to think about where it is going.

But in truth I think the economic system will ensure that change on any meaningful scale will never happen.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-Apr-20 09:23:38

Whitewavemark2 it is one of the most difficult balancing situations the world has experienced since WW2.

Those of us in the western world expect to have what we want when we want it and the emerging African/Asian nations are rapidly thinking if they can have it why can't we?

I have told AC and GC that I would not be comfortable going to USA (Disney) when this is over, I know it is not the fault of the majority of the American people how their country is governed, similarly we have always wanted to visit the Great Wall of China (didn't manage to get there on our visit with C), but I have to go with my conscience. I have never and will never visit South Africa, Brunei, Saudi Arabia (my list is quiet extensive) and many others. I would feel very uncomfortable putting money in the hands of people whose values are not what I consider fair and just.

Perhaps it is time for us all to reflect on our ways? Our retirement plans are looking very different today to what they were this time last year.

Hopefully the U.K. can tidy up its own house also.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-Apr-20 09:33:48

Apologise last post was so off topic of OP, I must get off of GN and do something else?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Apr-20 10:12:03

In truth, this crises is making many of us think about what we really want.

Jabberwok Wed 01-Apr-20 14:04:25

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Evoha16 Wed 01-Apr-20 14:46:59

Completely different mindsets and the stasis re that mindset fiercely protected by hegemony - viz Tianamen

Firecracker123 Wed 01-Apr-20 18:05:27

Wuhan doctor who was among the first to alert other medics to the spread of coronavirus 'goes missing' amid fears she has been detained for speaking out mol.im/a/8173363

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Apr-20 18:11:16

firecracker she was a he.

And yes an authoritarian governments default reaction is always to suppress information, but within a very short time the chinese leadership realised their error and advised and shared with the world.

Now what would you say about the news that NHS staff are being told to be quiet about lack of testing and protective clothing?

GagaJo Wed 01-Apr-20 18:24:00

Nothing obviously, because the Tories can commit mass murder via CV unchallenged. Party loyalty is all.

growstuff Wed 01-Apr-20 19:28:15

China has also sent aid to Italy and other countries. Unfortunately, I don't think the UK deserves it. It's part of an anti-China agenda. Even young Chines-looking children are being bullied.

QuaintIrene Wed 01-Apr-20 19:35:06

Firecracker is correct. A female Doctor has disappeared.

growstuff Wed 01-Apr-20 20:51:01

Why hasn't the UK been concerned about human rights in China when it's been trying to negotiate trade agreements? The news that China suppresses critics is hardly a surprise.

Do human rights only matter to some when they affect people personally?

lemongrove Wed 01-Apr-20 21:18:44

Lookout Jabberwok as Gaga is on the warpath, nobody can say anything about China without her reporting finger getting busy.
Utterly pathetic.

lemongrove Wed 01-Apr-20 21:21:24

I expect my post will be deleted any minute!?

lemongrove Wed 01-Apr-20 21:24:08

growstuff says ‘I don’t think the UK deserves it’ (Chinese ‘help’ that is).
I don’t think we deserved Covid 19 in the first place.

growstuff Wed 01-Apr-20 21:36:06

Just seem this on Robert Peston's Facebook page. Nice, eh? There have Chinese communities in the UK for decades. Do they deserve this?

growstuff Wed 01-Apr-20 21:39:03

There was no conscious decision to infect the UK with Covid-19. There was a conscious decision for the Chinese government to send aid to other countries.

Never mind lemongrove. I'm sure you could find a nice bell to bong hmm

PS. Omitted a "been" from my last post, but I don't supposed small-minded xenophobes care.

Firecracker123 Thu 02-Apr-20 11:40:27

18:24GagaJo

Nothing obviously, because the Tories can commit mass murder via CV unchallenged. Party loyalty is all.

Seems the Chinese Government can also cover up mass murder by CV unchallenged on this site anyway.

Jabberwok Thu 02-Apr-20 17:11:12

Apparently bear bile (Google it!) mixed with goats horn and herbs is a remedy for corona virus. It's been sanctioned by the Chinese government no less!! Hopefully it's fake news, if not, is there no depth of depravity this country won't stoop to?. It just made you despair!

Firecracker123 Thu 02-Apr-20 17:16:45

It certainly does.

Sussexborn Thu 02-Apr-20 17:27:29

Well there’s been plenty of bile on GN recently but I don’t suppose it counts.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 02-Apr-20 17:45:59

Pleased to see the debate has reached a very high standard?

Jabberwok Thu 02-Apr-20 17:58:23

I'm glad people seem to find this irrelevant even amusing. I suppose medieval medicine and government sponsored cruelty does have an air of ironic amusement!