Gransnet forums

News & politics

I ❤️ Jacinda Ardern, the PM of New Zealand

(16 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 15-Apr-20 09:55:06

For this, reported in the Guardian just now:

“New Zealand’s prime minister has said she and other ministers will take a 20% pay cut lasting six months to show solidarity with those affected by the coronavirus outbreak, as the death toll continues to rise.

Jacinda Ardern said it was important the government’s most highly paid politicians show “leadership and solidarity” with workers on the frontline and those who had lost their livelihoods. Ardern, government ministers and public service chief executives will take the cut for six months, effective immediately.”

Pantglas2 Wed 15-Apr-20 09:59:03

Is that the Government in NZ or all MPs I wonder?

Wouldn’t it be marvellous (and gob-smacking) if all UK MPs followed suit.....

Dee1012 Wed 15-Apr-20 10:01:20

From everything I've seen and read about Jacinda Ardern, I do think she's giving a 'masterclass' in leadership that many others would do well to follow!

westendgirl Wed 15-Apr-20 10:06:02

There is a lot to be learnt from this lady.

If only............

kittylester Wed 15-Apr-20 10:08:06

I was impressed when she said that the tooth fairy and the easter bunny were essential services!

MawB Wed 15-Apr-20 10:12:30

Apparently she once worked as an adviser to Tony Blair? (Correct me if I’m wrong)
But there’s a thought........???
Wish she had stayed to advise a few other people I could name - but won’t.

dragonfly46 Wed 15-Apr-20 10:20:40

It would seem that NZ and Germany are handling the crisis well - both run by women!!

Barmeyoldbat Wed 15-Apr-20 10:34:34

She has also added the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny to the essential workers list.

GagaJo Wed 15-Apr-20 10:37:09

I was about to come on here and post this.

Wow! That is how it is done. Inspirational leader. Saving LOTS of lives too.

kittylester Wed 15-Apr-20 10:42:35

Er, I said that barmyoldbat. grin

Chestnut Wed 15-Apr-20 10:43:58

Although we are roughly the same size New Zealand has a population of 4.8 million and the UK has 67.8 million. That could explain a lot. They are not living like sardines in a can.

EllanVannin Wed 15-Apr-20 10:45:19

I don't see why it can't be done worldwide, including those who head the town halls in this country.

Jabberwok Wed 15-Apr-20 11:14:50

Exactly Chestnut! My Son's step daughter lives in NZ The sparse population is spread thinly, the nearest land mass is Australia 1.000 miles away! Clearly the virus would be much easier to control in this situation., We however can virtually shake hands with France, have a population of 67 million, constant traffic from Europe, not to mention the Eurostar. Keeping the virus under control for us is infinitely more difficult under these circumstances!

Urmstongran Wed 15-Apr-20 11:23:02

Good point Chestnut
Still, this is about the optics. Government ministers taking a pay cut to show solidarity with its citizens.
?

westendgirl Wed 15-Apr-20 11:23:25

...and made more difficult by the indeciseveness of the government and their lack of accepting advice.

Urmstongran Wed 15-Apr-20 11:29:29

Or deciding whether to listen to the scientists or the economists!