Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Monarchy, is there another way?

(84 Posts)
Grany Thu 16-Apr-20 09:41:04

People have enough problems, changes facing them with Covid19 but discussions about monarchy and wether more people would vote for a republic in future, could be a consideration.

Now that social distancing is here Republic has given people a chance to listen to Pod Casts talking with various people

Three Pod Casts from Republic

Sandy Biar, talks to Graham Smith of Republic

National Director of the Australian Republic Movement, talks about how their campaign is going and why Australia should break with the British monarchy.

Why should Australians have a HOS that lives in another country?

A Chat with Kevin Maguire

And Graham Smith

Graham Smith introduces this new Podcast as he runs through the various reasons why the British monarchy should be abolished, and what alternative is on offer.

For those interested here is link to Pod Casts

republic.cast.rocks

Pantglas2 Thu 16-Apr-20 09:57:03

There’s always another way - whether it’s a better way is a matter of opinion and there lies the problem. Folks won’t agree so majority wins, as per usual.

ExD Thu 16-Apr-20 10:01:27

That's how we do it - majority vote, and as long as the voting isn't rigged in any way I can't think of a fairer system. Like the dreaded Brexit - the majority won so we have to accept and get on with it. Otherwise its anarchy, war and government by force.

Grany Thu 16-Apr-20 10:49:43

William and Kate were going to Australia to thank Australians for coping with the bush fires and floods but Australia has to pay millions for them go there. If they were really keen to help Australians, why not pay for themselves? Other celebrities pay their way. The Australians can't afford to pay for Royal visits after these natural disasters now Corona virus.

paddyanne Thu 16-Apr-20 11:10:04

I did laugh at the reports that "Princess" Beatrice(is that the right one) has said she'll postpone her wedding until next year becuase ...and this is the best joke....a Royal wedding will lift the country's spirits after this awful year...What planet are these people on? Does she think it will compennsate the families who have lost loved ones or the folk who cant get financial aid,and there are still a lot , or the worn down NHS staff to watch her and her parasitical family spend MILLIONS on a wedding? Time they went !

Chewbacca Thu 16-Apr-20 11:22:37

..and this is the best joke....a Royal wedding will lift the country's spirits after this awful year

Where did you read that paddyann? I read that they're taking government advice as to whether they're allowed to hold a very small private wedding this year or, if not, to postpone the whole thing until 2021. But I've not been able to find anything about them saying that a royal wedding will "lift the country's spirits"?

Grany Thu 16-Apr-20 11:31:00

Here it is Chewbacca

Makes you laugh not joking

www.thenational.scot/news/18377053.princess-beatrice-planning-2021-wedding-lift-nations-spirits/

MaizieD Thu 16-Apr-20 11:31:57

OMG! I read that too, a couple of days ago, but I can't remember where it came from. It must be true, Chewie, two of us have seen it... wink

I had exactly the same reaction as paddyanne grin

MaizieD Thu 16-Apr-20 11:33:46

Ha Ha! I find it even funnier that the article is from The National Scot... Of all the nations least likely to have their spirits lifted by the silly girl's wedding...

Tangerine Thu 16-Apr-20 11:35:18

I thought the same as paddyanne although, in general terms, I am quite interested in the Royal Family and enjoy watching the weddings etc.

Sussexborn Thu 16-Apr-20 12:13:58

Given who her parents are it’s hardly surprising that she is somewhat delusional.

I think a republic and the no holds barred power struggles that would involve, would be a nightmare scenario.

If politicians seem to be mainly rather grubby individuals now just imagine how much worse they would be with a presidency at stake.

trisher Thu 16-Apr-20 12:20:00

At least you can get rid of a president if they are a disaster. We are stuck with this dysfunctional, delusional lot.

paddyanne Thu 16-Apr-20 12:25:30

SUSSEXBORN You only ever hear about the bad presidents there are many many who are doing a great job under the radar .Dont think Trump is the only alternative

Oldwoman70 Thu 16-Apr-20 12:26:23

The difference is whilst a president is in power he/she can do a lot of damage (think Trump). The RF have little power to change policy or direction of the country

Toadinthehole Thu 16-Apr-20 12:29:23

I am of a mind that once the Queen dies, the whole institution should. However, the position of Monarch does protect us to some degree, from the possibility of having someone unhinged in power as a president. I get the feeling the governor of New York would love a King right now! It’s who is the Monarch that bothers me. They do have too much wealth, but so do many people, and for doing very little and doing it badly most of the time. We’re not in a perfect world, but this virus may shake it up, so that changes come about, such as ‘real’ people being recognised for what they do, and the super rich losing everything, and that may include the Royal family.

trisher Thu 16-Apr-20 12:32:58

A president in this country would not have the same powers as in the USA and even there Trump has been limited by the elected representatives. It is nonsense to say a president would change democratic systems.

eazybee Thu 16-Apr-20 12:55:24

The source quoted for this news used the phrases:
Princess Beatrice 'is said to be' and 'But it is now being suggested'... followed by fairly predictable tweets expressing outrage.

About as credible as the people who choose to follow this sort of trash.

Grany Thu 16-Apr-20 13:21:16

The Royals do think that though A grand royal wedding have people waving cheering lifting spirits Over privileged entitled pampered overfunded Royals

Anniebach Thu 16-Apr-20 13:39:12

Gosh gany you read people’s minds

Grany Thu 16-Apr-20 13:57:22

Ben Fogle tweeted

It’s the Queens birthday next Tuesday. Let’s throw her a surprise. At 9am 21st April, we are calling on the whole country to sing Happy Birthday from our windows and doorsteps. Let our song bring good cheer not just to Her Majesty but to the whole nation. #singforthequeen

Hi Ben, I’m a student at Norwich University, and I’d love to reference your tweet in my dissertation about guys who were breast fed into their mid 20s. Do I have your permission to reference the tweet?

The only one Inwill be singing for is old guy who raised over 9 million for our NHS

Jabberwok Thu 16-Apr-20 14:05:05

After the war the marriage of the then Princess Elizabeth with Phillip Mountbatten DID lift the nations spirits. For those cynics on here you can find lots of archive film to prove this, you couldn't have imported all those cheering crowds! No doubt poor Princess Beatrice doesn't seem to realise that people these days feel very differently about the RF , something that that is amply proved on here to the point of referring to them as parasites, a disgusting expression at the best of times, but even more so when aimed at a well meaning but out of touch young woman.

Nanny27 Thu 16-Apr-20 14:07:37

Well I for one love having a monarchy. There, I’ve said it.

Grany Thu 16-Apr-20 14:10:13

Clap for Tom Veteran finishes fundraiser as tops 13 million. Well Done Tom worth clapping for

Grany Thu 16-Apr-20 14:16:19

Their wealth has gone up substantially They cost 345 million a year. The security costs the earth, travel.

Jabberwok Thu 16-Apr-20 14:38:35

I do too Nanny27 warts and all! so you are not alone!?