Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris MISSED 5 COBRA meetings

(119 Posts)
paddyanne Sun 19-Apr-20 00:16:55

To "Deal with personal matters at home"

This man is a dangerous fool .Maybe somebody can tell me WHY he's PM whe he neither wants or accepts the responsibility of the job !

Chewbacca Sun 19-Apr-20 09:21:51

Time will tell if the whole of St Thomas's hospital, 2 well respected nurses and the accompanying medical team in the intensive care unit were all lying? Are you serious? I can get my head around BJ being a liar, let's face it, he has form, but he would have had to have colluded with an entire hospital to carry off the lie that he didnt actually have COVID 19 afterall, he was just bottling out of going to some meetings. You're unbelievable, really unbelievable.

M0nica Sun 19-Apr-20 09:25:11

Could anyone tell me the name of one Prime Minister who was a perfect pattern plate of the perfect Prime Minister?

Everyne of them got where they did because they wanted to PM and pursued their ambition. People as ambitious and determined as that frequently ruthless in their behaviour and have big personality flaws.

He is who we have, people preferred him to any alternative. Get over it.

growstuff Sun 19-Apr-20 09:25:24

Well said Cindersdad smile That just about sums it up as far I'm concerned.

travelsafar Sun 19-Apr-20 09:27:32

Anyone know what has happened to Dominic Cummings last i heard he too had the virus??

Daisymae Sun 19-Apr-20 09:28:37

The government must be held accountable for its decision making. Now is the time.

growstuff Sun 19-Apr-20 09:30:49

This thread isn't disgusting. It's a matter of public record whether Johnson attended COBRA meetings and what he said and did before he was ill.

FWIW I don't think the St Thomas staff are lying (that really would be fake news even Trump couldn't pull off), but the way some of the media wrote about his recovery over Easter, making comparisons with somebody who was resurrected over Easter, made me cringe.

growstuff Sun 19-Apr-20 09:33:09

No, MOnica, I won't get over it. I have no intention of taking to the streets, but I have no hesitation in thinking Johnson is an appalling Prime Minister. I am not going to be told what to think.

Rosalyn69 Sun 19-Apr-20 09:45:22

I’m surprised anyone is surprised. Boris Johnson is and always has been a flake. All bluster and no substance - and I’m a Conservative.
Yes the government is inept but rolling out complainers onto the TV isn’t going to change anything. I’m pretty sure there’s a whole lot of mismanagement in hospitals too. There’s a whole swathe of middle managers there who are pretty poor - at least there was when I worked in the NHS and I don’t believe it’s changed. Surely it’s the doctors and nurses who are requisitioning supplies so address the issues to the internal managers whose job it should be to ensure the frontline staff are properly equipped and their hospital is properly supplied.

MaizieD Sun 19-Apr-20 09:47:46

I've started a thread on the Sunday Times article which is far more comprehensive than the one from the Independent being discussed here.

I think that some posters will like it even less than this thread.. but the Sunday Times is a right wing paper, has been for decades. Which makes it all the more shocking...

This is the ST article. It's free to read..

archive.is/20200418182037/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh

Rosalyn69 Sun 19-Apr-20 09:48:14

Sorry. Typo. Its’s not the doctors.

Nezumi65 Sun 19-Apr-20 09:53:44

Johnson and his govts mismanagement will cost thousands of deaths.

But he’s Teflon coated. The populists and nationalists will flag wave and cheer while the coffins pile up.

M0nica Sun 19-Apr-20 09:54:32

I am not telling you how to think. But he is Prime Minster and there is little you can do about it.

I really cannot think he is any better, or worse than any other Prime Minister, nor is he likely to be any better or worse than any future Prime Ministers of any party.

growstuff Sun 19-Apr-20 09:54:51

Rosalyn It's a supply issue. Yes, there is a shortage of equipment, but the UK has the capacity to produce it. The NHS couldn't have ordered that. The government needed to demand (order if necessary) companies to change their production lines. Obviously that would have gone against their free market ideology, but (sorry to bring up the war) that's what happened before and during WW2. One of the reasons the allies won was that their troops and civilians were better supplied.

MaizieD Sun 19-Apr-20 09:56:10

I really think that people need to read the ST article. It covers everything as far as I can see.

growstuff Sun 19-Apr-20 09:56:49

That's up to you MOnica. IMO he is the worst Prime Minister I can ever remember, totally lacking leadership skills and strategic thinking. It's amazing what public pressure can do. hmm

Franbern Sun 19-Apr-20 10:07:04

Monica - you asked for an example of a perfect PM. Have a look at the actions, of Jacinda - the PM in New Zealand. And not just her actions during this pandemic, but throughout her time as PM. As far removed from Johnson/Trump as can be. Wish we could have her here.

Chewbacca Sun 19-Apr-20 10:12:50

Me too Franbern; if only we could have Jacinda Arden.

Callistemon Sun 19-Apr-20 10:20:51

The point about Johnson dozing on a plane while his advisers "decided what he should say"

Do you not realise how Government works, Nannyjan?
Who do you think works out the policy details?

Niobe your post is disgraceful and a slur on the dedicated staff at St Thomas's Hospital, suggesting they are involved in a lie, a cover up.
You should ask for it to be removed as it is potentially libellous.

Callistemon Sun 19-Apr-20 10:23:48

The reason we have Boris with his faults as PM is because most of the population, whichever party they normally voted for, could see that the alternative was worse.

Perhaps if the LP can stop their infighting, we may get a credible Opposition now.

Callistemon Sun 19-Apr-20 10:27:29

Many people loathed Blair and some of his policies, Franbern, particularly Corbyn supporters.
However, Jacinda Ardern was a policy adviser to Blair who, although disliked by some, was electable.

Interesting.

Jabberwok Sun 19-Apr-20 14:45:03

Callistemon! eeek! I gather that NZ is happy with the monarchy too, so double eeeek! A slight shadow over this faultless P.M!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Apr-20 14:52:08

For those who think that Johnson is no better or worse than every other PM, I would respectfully like to suggest that they don’t know their history.

lemongrove Sun 19-Apr-20 14:55:52

Monica good post ...they can't get over it though, it eats away at them.grin

lemongrove Sun 19-Apr-20 14:59:29

Every single government we have from any Party manages some things well, some things not so well and a few things badly. That goes for Blair and all past Labour governments as well as Conservative ones.
So far, this government in a matter of months has had Brexit to deal with, winter floods and now coronavirus.They are doing too badly in my view, especially just having had an ill PM.

Nandalot Sun 19-Apr-20 15:00:48

He is Prime Minister and therefore I am shocked that he did not attend five Cobra meetings when the scale of this pandemic was clear. It reinforces my opinion of him that he likes the limelight but is not so keen on the detail and the work. There is no point comparing him to anyone in any of the other parties as they are not in power. We have the right to expect our Prime Minister to always put the country first and not take the weekend off at a time of national emergency.