Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Sunday Times article. Can anyone defend Johnson after reading this?

(116 Posts)
MaizieD Sun 19-Apr-20 09:41:30

Free to read and I hope that everyone takes advantage of it

archive.is/20200418182037/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh

I have no words...

SirChenjin Mon 20-Apr-20 12:20:39

I just had a very quick scan of the Tory Govt’s rebuttal of the criticism directed at it but I note it still doesn’t explain why our PM missed 5 COBRA meetings during a pandemic in which many thousands of people have died.

MaizieD Mon 20-Apr-20 14:45:07

What you are failing to understand, SirChenjin, is that the whole concept of 'leader' has been rewritten. A leader is now a person who puts together a team of subordinates who will do all the work while he provides the necessary boost to morale by being a good fun cheeky chappy bounding with enthusiasm and optimism and having an 'interesting' personal life which everyone can gossip about and ooh and ahh over.

It helps if he's a bit posh because his willingness to look like a big t*t from time to time proves that he's so normal and like 'one of us', likes a bit of a laugh.

It really doesn't matter if he's not sufficiently interested in, or worried about, a potential emergency situation which has been forecast for years, and which may wipe out a significant portion of the population of the country he's leading, to actually attend any meetings about planning for dealing with it. Hell, no, he's got Ministers to that for him.

COBR meetings? They're for the little people...

Besides which, he's rather preoccupied with sorting out his divorce and his pregnant girlfriend, so as to provide his following with another 'ooh, aah' moment.

Dinahmo Mon 20-Apr-20 14:52:02

MaizieD Nice one!!

vegansrock Mon 20-Apr-20 15:42:29

Well he was too busy , and PMs don’t have to attend, even when it’s the biggest national emergency since WW2. He was trying to organise Big Ben to bong for Brexit and plan how to tell his ex and children about the new sprog.

SirChenjin Mon 20-Apr-20 16:25:27

Maizie you are absolutely right, I had completely failed to grasp the reworking of the word ‘leader’ in this context grin

ExD Mon 20-Apr-20 16:28:17

Oh DO stop it all of you.

Jabberwok Mon 20-Apr-20 16:32:19

You can say that again ExD! Really stupid comments on here all supposition! Pathetic!

SirChenjin Mon 20-Apr-20 16:37:05

No.

Hetty58 Mon 20-Apr-20 16:51:23

MaizieD 'Can anyone defend Johnson after reading this?

Oh, they will, you know. They made up their minds (then closed them) long ago, so will defend him to the bitter end - whatever he does.

SirChenjin Mon 20-Apr-20 16:53:55

It’s a rhetorical question where the right wingers are concerned.

Hetty58 Mon 20-Apr-20 17:02:29

lemongrove, read and digest please:

yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2017/03/07/how-left-or-right-wing-are-uks-newspapers

Hetty58 Mon 20-Apr-20 17:07:40

and:

mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-times-of-london/

Hetty58 Mon 20-Apr-20 17:22:14

Yogadatti, so you'll vote again - for a government you are 'appalled by', because you always vote for them? Please explain - I can't get my head around that!

varian Mon 20-Apr-20 18:27:44

There are a huge number of voters in the USA who intend to vote for Trump. It defies logic. It comes close to destroying one's belief in democracy.

MaizieD Mon 20-Apr-20 18:49:00

It certainly shakes one's faith in the collective wisdom of the electorate...