Gransnet forums

News & politics

At last a fully functioning opposition

(397 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-Apr-20 08:18:16

PMQs

“The commons was transformed from a bear pit to a courtroom yesterday, when the government’s junior barrister was faced with a top QC.
No contest - master versus pupil.

What Starmer brings to the post is intelligence and a forensic attention to detail. Neither does he raise his voice or get rattled, rather he adapts his tone to the occasion.

He was near tone perfect.”

John Crace

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-May-20 08:16:16

John Crace in top form.

Talking about how little preparation Johnson does, and the fact that he is not neatly so bright as his PR likes to suggest. Starmer a top QC is finding it all too easy.

Crace rather thought that “give it time and Boris may well cut to the chase and just plead guilty in advance to save himself the torture of answering 6 questions”

“We have Boris. Incompetent, unprepared, selfish, lazy, amoral and just not that bright”

Unfortunately for the country

“Boris will remain PM for the duration”

Grany Thu 14-May-20 08:17:08

Corbyn campaigned vigorously for remain up and down the country and TV so why don't you believe him

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-May-20 08:40:35

But he didn’t did he grany that was the biggest issue. It was put out that he was trying to strike a balance, but the strategy never worked just as so many said it wouldn’t.

Corbyn is a brexiter and in my view he was less than honest in his various assertions.

Grandad1943 Thu 14-May-20 09:07:10

It was of little relevance whether Corbyn was a remainer or a Brexiteer, as his role was to support the policy laid out by the Annual Delegate conference, which he did.

Any other approach by the Labour Movement was unserviceable as to support remain outright and Labour would lose all support in the North of England, or to support leave in the South of England and Labour would lose a vast majority of support in that region.

However, Brexit is now all "water under the bridge" and the United Kindom has now taken leave of it's European Union membership. As someone who fervently supported the remain cause I now believe that all should now "get behind" that fact and endeavour to make the best of that situation for the sake of all who reside in Britain.

Anything else will be economically disastrous especially in the unprecedented circumstances that the world now finds itself in.

Anyway, time I started work once again.

Anniebach Thu 14-May-20 09:11:22

Corbyn did not campaign up and down the country, he
refused to take part in the tv debates and even went on
holiday during the campaign.

suziewoozie Thu 14-May-20 09:31:47

Tedious repetitive minutiae about Corbyn and his failings ( both real and imagined) is as relevant in the current circumstances as discussing whether the combustion engine will ever replace the horse. And much much much more boring

Grany Thu 14-May-20 09:39:26

Blame Corbyn? What about Theresa May's self-serving non-campaign?

Read this Annie or carry on believing what you heard.

anotherangryvoice.blogspot.com/2016/07/blame-corbyn-what-about-theresa-mays.html

It was Keir Starmer who went above Party line

Corbyn wanted to strike a balance as agreed, to support policy at ADC

water under bridge see how Starmer fares has to be Better than BoJo

Anniebach Thu 14-May-20 09:44:01

Grany Theresa May wasn’t party leader at that time

Grany Thu 14-May-20 10:18:44

Yes but it shows she did not campaign hard for remain at the time compared to Jeremy Corbyn.

MaizieD Thu 14-May-20 10:41:26

I wouldn't bother, Grany. Annie isn't going to change her mind. It's been firmly made up for 4 years. Corbyn is spawn of the devil...

Grany Thu 14-May-20 10:45:14

Yes agree MaizieD ha I don't think I'll bother again ha ha

lemongrove Thu 14-May-20 11:22:28

I don’t think he was the Saviour that you imagined him to be
MaizieD either.
He ruined things for Labour......voters saw through him and turned away in droves.

trisher Thu 14-May-20 11:49:23

lemon your judgement of Corbyn is as biased as Annies. I wonder have you ever read or listened to anything he actually said or did or is your opinion entirely based on MSM reports?

Jabberwok Thu 14-May-20 12:04:58

There are none so blind as those who can't or won't see. The reason Labour lost the recent election was because of Jeremy Corbyn and his shadow cabinet who were perceived as communists by a good proportion of the population! K.S should fare a lot better as he clearly doesn't carry this threat and frankly is lot more palatable to ordinary people as was Tony Blair. If Labour wants to win elections these are the people ordinary folk will vote for, not perceived extremists.

trisher Thu 14-May-20 13:00:49

Jabberwok were they perceived as communists? Now where would that idea have come from?

Galaxy Thu 14-May-20 13:07:28

If you keep telling people they are stupid they will vote for someone else. I am not sure how much clearer that message could be.

Jabberwok Thu 14-May-20 13:11:52

Jeremy Corbyn, John McDonnell, Seamus Milne, Momentum!
Not vote winners with ordinary people, you know, people with out degrees, run of the mill people!

lemongrove Thu 14-May-20 13:17:02

trisher, unfortunately I have wasted some of my precious time listening to him in the past few years.
On the back benches now, he will still be an occasional thorn in the PLP’s side, but that’s it.

varian Sun 17-May-20 17:38:07

It seems to me that the Tories are really missing Jeremy Corbyn, John McDonnell and Seamus MIlne. None of the rest of us are.

Grandad1943 Mon 18-May-20 08:30:28

Well with many in the Labour Party Central Office and elsewhere working against their own leadership the LibDem Party had the ultimate opportunity to make a real breakthrough in the last General Election.

However, what happened, they ran the biggest shambles of an election campaign there has ever been in modern history. Even a LibDem internal equity report now acknowledges the above was very much the case with even their own Leader losing her seat in that shambles of an election.

The above stated, we have had on this forum constantly since December those that were so fervent in support of the Liberal Democrats prior to that election telling those of us who supported the Labour Party how we should organise and run that party into the future.

To them, I would state, help sort out the problems in the party that you people were so committed to before matters went so badly wrong. Also along with the foregoing, sort out what are your true political beliefs and stand by them even when at times the party that most hold your so-called principles is not doing so well.

We do not hear a word on this forum in regard to the LibDem problems which demonstrates that the true values of there supposed supporters are shallow and guided by "which way the political wind in the UK is blowing on any particular day".

Link to the above report can be found here:-
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/lib-dem-general-election-campaign-report-jo-swinson-brexit-a9517721.html

growstuff Mon 18-May-20 08:53:12

So now you want to tell another political party how to organise itself?

You couldn't make it up!

Grandad1943 Mon 18-May-20 09:15:02

growstuff in regard to your post @08:53 today, I believe if you read my post of 08:30 thoroughly you will witness that I have not told anyone with preferences to an alternative political party other than Labour how to organise that party.

What I have stated, was to encourage those, such as yourself, to engage with the LibDem Party, to which they held such fervour prior to the last general election, and assist in sorting out the obvious real problems within that party.

Perhaps it is that many LibDem supposed supporters hold no real core political beliefs whatsoever and are just flip-floppers" with whichever way the wind is blowing values.

Grandad1943 Mon 18-May-20 09:53:43

There is a person on a forum I frequent who has been told to report back to work from this coming Wednesday. He is saying that he now feels like he will be going away on holiday on that day.

Grandad1943 Mon 18-May-20 09:55:19

Sorry my above post was meant for our family WhatsApp page.

Trying to work to forums at once.?

Jabberwok Mon 18-May-20 12:24:09

Moral of that is, "First things first"! as my mother used to say!