Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is the Home Office betraying us?

(106 Posts)
NannyC2 Tue 05-May-20 20:15:53

Just watched a video taken early yesterday morning (Mon) with Nigel Farage in East Sussex.
Border Forces picked up people from a boat that was crammed full of immigrants and began ferrying them into Dover The BF are supposed to protect us not be a taxi service, and yet, that is apparently what the Home Office is telling them to do.
A second vessel arrived - how many others would have followed?
Some may be legitimate but how many aren't? There is a proper system which should be used.
What is the state of their health? Are they carrying Covid 19 with potential of spreading the virus further?
The media is all into Covid but nothing being reported about more and more people arriving on our shores! Shouldn't we be concerned?

trisher Wed 06-May-20 09:17:17

Personally if I have to push someone out to sea with a pitchfork I'd rather it was Nigel Farage. Or could we just quarantine him somewhere and forget about him?
"He never will be missed!"

JenniferEccles Wed 06-May-20 10:55:06

I think a lot on here are missing the point.

Even if the immigrants were escaping poverty or a war torn country , they were safe as soon as they arrived in Europe.

The rules say they should seek asylum from the first safe country they reach.

Illegal immigrants turning up in boats on the Kent or Sussex coasts have come from France.

Therefore those attempting to reach our shores are economic migrants. With our overstretched NHS now is not the time to be adding to its workload.

FarNorth Wed 06-May-20 11:15:35

That may be so, JenniferEccles, but at the point when they arrive something must be done with them, even if that has a final result of them being deported.

Franbern Wed 06-May-20 11:19:49

Find it difficult to believe that there are still some horrible people who just cannot think of these poor people risking their lives on these little boats as human beings.
Obviously, they should have been rescued, taken somewhere safe, tested for CV19 (and other illnesses) given appropriate treatment.
Heigh - when they are well this country desperately needs so many people willing to do hard work on our farms, etc. They could then be offered jobs there. Win-win.
Would people like the OP be willing to be the ones who would push these poor people back into the ocean and watch them down?

Franbern Wed 06-May-20 11:22:15

Meant to add, why is NF still in this country - thought he would be happily esconced in USA with his idol - Trump

Iam64 Wed 06-May-20 11:36:56

JenniferEccles, I'm certain I'm not the only poster here who is not "missing the point "you make about seeking asylum in the first country they arrive in.

Perhaps you can help me understand why other countries in Europe should help these people, and we shouldn't?

War, disease, famine, these are International problems and need an international response

maddyone Wed 06-May-20 13:59:06

I don’t care where Nigel Farage is, but I do care about people entering the country and not being quarantined. We don’t actually know what’s happening with these people who have arrived in a somewhat unconventional manner, but we do know that people who arrive in aeroplanes are being allowed into the country with no testing or quarantining. We also know that Coronavirus, unsurprisingly, is in the camps that the migrants are using in France, and that is one reason given for their attempts to cross over to the UK.
I would quite like to know what is being done with these people, are they tested, and are they quarantined before being temporary accommodated until their status is decided? If the airports are anything to go by, then they’re probably not being quarantined. If we are to get a proper hold on the spread of Coronavirus, then everyone coming in from abroad, however they arrive, should be quarantined.

maddyone Wed 06-May-20 14:00:07

....temporarily.....

MaizieD Wed 06-May-20 14:17:03

They must be being held somewhere, Maddyone. They're not going to be free to go anywhere. So they won't be spreading it at large if they are infected. So they're sort of quarantined. Unlike the people flying in.

Luckygirl Wed 06-May-20 14:36:26

I am assuming that they are being quarantined and tested. There is no reason to assume otherwise.

almostelderly Wed 06-May-20 14:41:19

I agree with Jennifer Eccles. The majority of immigrants arriving in the UK will most probably be economic migrants, a large number appear to be healthy young men. Legitimate asylum seekers should seek asylum in the first safe country they reach, and that is obviously not the UK unless they have flown here from their own country. If there was a survey I suspect most of the key workers from abroad have been here for years and are 2 or even third immigrants and are now British.

Elegran Wed 06-May-20 14:41:29

Perhaps those who object so strongly to the Border Force picking up these immigrants would volunteer for a new force to replace them? They would have to have some clear objectives, though.

1) They would need to know where to go to intercept them, and when.

2) They would need a plan for what to with them once intercepted. Would they -
. 2a) tell the owner/pilot of the boat to turn round and go back (they would then need to make sure that he did so, and didn't sneak back in somewhere else under cover of night.)
. 2b) drill a hole in the hull of the boat so that it sinks and let them drown.
. 2c) arrest the owner/pilot for people-trafficking and take him into custody. They would need to interview the passengers first, to make sure they were indeed being trafficked, and not willing customers.
. 2d) arrest all of them and take them into custody. Some would escape when it was obvious that their fellow-passengers were being arrested.
. 2e) put everyone into a people-carrier and take them off to be interviewed

3) If they adopted plan 2c, 2d,or 2e, and found out that the passengers had no passports, or false ones, they would face another dilemma - what to do now? Should they -
. 3a) Deport them back to where they came from. But where was that? Was it where the boat set out from? Was it their country of origin? With no passport, how to tell what country that is? What if they just pick some desirable place where they would like to live? Checking could take some time, and without a passport they would probably not be admitted anyway - but Hey Ho! the problem would be handed on to somewhere else. And how to deport them? - flights are few at the moment and not to be wasted on unnecessary journeys.
. 3b) Put them into a holding camp. Errr - that has been done before, in Calais among other places. It wasn't 100% successful, and with the virus it could be lethal. Do they really want to kill them all off? If so, option 2b would be quicker and more honest - but not the most ethical!

And so on!

It is more complicated than just declaring that they are unwelcome!

growstuff Wed 06-May-20 14:50:22

In which case almostelderly, they will apply for asylum in the UK, probably be rejected and deported.

growstuff Wed 06-May-20 14:54:17

Exactly Elegran. It really isn't that easy - probably simpler to hole their boats while they're still at sea or shoot them! hmm

Border Force has done its job by intercepting them. The alternative would be for them to slip in undercover and disperse to some unknown place.

maddyone Wed 06-May-20 15:20:51

growstuff
If the British did that ( I know they wouldn’t) then quite rightly there would be a huge outcry all over the world. People can’t be shot!!! Or not be rescued when at sea in those dangerous little boats. My concern is about quarantine and testing. Actually as Maizie said, wherever they are housed, these particular people are sort of quarantined. However I think they should not be allowed out at all for the first 14 days. That still leaves the problem of people entering legally and going straight out into the community. Basically I think the lockdown was too late and too little (not strong enough.) Had we had a much stronger lockdown that was properly enforced then the problem of people entering the country wouldn’t have been a problem, including the migrants coming across in boats because they would have immediately been put into a strict quarantine.

maddyone Wed 06-May-20 15:22:54

And actually growstuff had they slipped in undercover and disappeared, they would have been at an even bigger risk of spreading Covid19 into the population.

Callistemon Wed 06-May-20 15:28:56

Yes, maddyone
Better they are picked up and processed/quarantined than just disappear - carrying COVID19 with them and causing a new wave of he virus to spread through the population.

Callistemon Wed 06-May-20 15:30:32

I think growstuff's remark was tongue-in-cheek!

maddyone Wed 06-May-20 15:41:26

Yes Callistemon , so do I, but I thought I’d play along grin

Callistemon Wed 06-May-20 15:48:58

Sorry, I didn't think it was like you grin

Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-May-20 17:05:00

Farage certainly knows how to push some people’s buttons doesn’t he?

He is such a spiv that I’m surprised anyone can take him seriously.

Hetty58 Wed 06-May-20 17:09:25

I agree that everyone arriving in the UK should be quarantined. It should have begun months ago.

Everything seems to be done too little, too late, though. The virus is already widespread in our country so it will make little difference now.

Hetty58 Wed 06-May-20 17:28:30

Other countries are a little more sensible. A pilot (friend of the family) had a routine test before a flight out. It was positive so he has to isolate for now. He has absolutely no symptoms whatsoever.

Ngaio1 Wed 06-May-20 17:37:14

I made this point a while ago and my post was removed! Of course it is risky to allow free access to anyone who may carry the virus. Just when will common sense take over from the "weepies" who would have no rules whatsoever.

sodapop Wed 06-May-20 17:38:26

That sounds like a plan to me trisher regarding NF.

I agree, what is the Border Force supposed to do with immigrants ? We are aware of where they should be but the fact remains they are on British shores. Quarantine and test then take things from there.