Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is the Home Office betraying us?

(105 Posts)
NannyC2 Tue 05-May-20 20:15:53

Just watched a video taken early yesterday morning (Mon) with Nigel Farage in East Sussex.
Border Forces picked up people from a boat that was crammed full of immigrants and began ferrying them into Dover The BF are supposed to protect us not be a taxi service, and yet, that is apparently what the Home Office is telling them to do.
A second vessel arrived - how many others would have followed?
Some may be legitimate but how many aren't? There is a proper system which should be used.
What is the state of their health? Are they carrying Covid 19 with potential of spreading the virus further?
The media is all into Covid but nothing being reported about more and more people arriving on our shores! Shouldn't we be concerned?

Riverwalk Tue 05-May-20 20:24:32

I was rather hoping we'd left that sort of inflammatory language behind with the Brexit debate.

Just how is the Home Office betraying us?

Grannyjay Tue 05-May-20 20:25:27

We keep being told one of the reasons the numbers of deaths due to covid are high compared to Europe is the density of people. Honestly we are full up and going to have major financial hardship after this. The migrants will continue to come as they know they will not be sent back to the safe country they just left.

BlueBelle Tue 05-May-20 20:30:39

Germany took in many refugees and many of those refugees were doctors they have thousands more doctors than they would have had without Good on them miserable us trying to send all our overseas NHS workers home

Chewbacca Tue 05-May-20 21:21:55

Hmmm.. I can sort of see where the OP is coming from on this in regards to COVID19 possibly being brought in by migrants especially in view of the article in The Guardian on the 9th April:

“Now we know the virus is in the camps we urgently need the authorities to take action, and faster. The refugees can’t use the mitigation methods the rest of society are practising, like social distancing. Without these, the spread of the disease could be exponential and we estimate that half the population could be infected within four weeks.”

In April, 500+ migrants arrived on our shores and I have no idea whether they are taken to be quarantined or tested on their arrival but maybe someone else has more information regarding that? In any event, we still have open borders in regards to our airports and sail ports, with passengers arriving daily, albeit in reduced numbers than before the COVID19 epidemic. If we're not checking every single person who enters the UK, by whatever means of travel, we're not going to see the back of the virus for a very long time.

Dinahmo Tue 05-May-20 22:00:03

So what was NF doing at the coast? Apparently he travelled 100 miles to get there to stand in front of the sea when he could have stood in front of some film of the sea. Why should he be allowed to do that?

Dinahmo Tue 05-May-20 22:15:14

Grannyjay The highest numbers of deaths throughout Europe are in densely populated areas - ie cities and large towns- throughout Europe. The UK is no different in that respect.

Have you not noticed the large numbers of front line workers who are from overseas? Not noticed the numbers of those who appear on our tv screens who have died?

EllanVannin Tue 05-May-20 22:31:20

Why have we become the worst country in Europe for letting our people die of this virus ?? It's going to reach 50,000---mark my words, it's a disgrace !!

JenniferEccles Tue 05-May-20 22:48:19

Yes we certainly should be concerned about this.

The Border Force is effectively acting as a water taxi service.

So much for Prity Patel insisting that stopping illegal immigration was a priority.

MaizieD Tue 05-May-20 22:54:19

What are Border Force supposed to do? Tell them to go away and die?

Luckygirl Tue 05-May-20 23:02:38

Does NF live in East Sussex?

MaizieD asks the crucial question - what are they to do?

GagaJo Tue 05-May-20 23:04:48

What would you prefer? Push them back into the sea and let bodies wash up on British beaches?

vickymeldrew Tue 05-May-20 23:07:45

Nigel Farage lives in Westerham. Apparently two police officers went to his home and offered ‘words of advice’ on his ‘unnecessary’ journey to Dover.

Luckygirl Tue 05-May-20 23:13:32

Let us not lose our humanity.

Callistemon Tue 05-May-20 23:27:07

EllanVannin unfortunately a country with a higher number of citizens may well find that they have more deaths from this virus than a country with a smaller population.

Belgium has a far higher number of deaths per capita than anywhere else in Europe, followed by Spain and Italy then the UK.
Other countries worldwide may report wildly inaccurate numbers.

I do hope the numbers here will reduce rapidly and we should ensure that all immigrants and arrivals from any direction are tested and if necessary quarantined, otherwise we will not see the end of this, as the article from the Guardian says, which Chewbacca quoted.

welbeck Tue 05-May-20 23:34:52

i don't understand the point the OP is making, about Border Force being a taxi service. obviously they have to convey them to wherever the BF office is to process them.
what is the alternative, let them wander around wherever they land, or do you mean the BF should be repelling them with pitchforks, jabbing them back out to sea, and holing their boats. / > ?

MawB Tue 05-May-20 23:36:10

Nigel Farage has a cheek trying to claim he had a professional reason for travelling to Dover.
He is not employed as a journalist, having been, in no particular order a
Politician
Spokesperson for his Brexit party
Commodity broker
(Pain in the ar*e and professional busybody do not seem to feature but I leave you to complete your own list)
But his 100 mile journey was NOT essential and I don’t know why he has not been fined in the same way many others have.

FarNorth Tue 05-May-20 23:53:34

Everyone coming into the UK should be quarantined, whether refugees in boats or millionaires in jets - but it isn't happening.

Callistemon Tue 05-May-20 23:56:48

PNP
Professional Nosy Parker

He should resign from his post forthwith for non-essential travel
Oh ! does he have a job from which to resign?
confused

maddyone Wed 06-May-20 00:30:49

I agree with FarNorth everyone entering the country should be tested and quarantined, whoever they are, and however they arrive.

quizqueen Wed 06-May-20 00:49:09

Easy to criticise Nigel for travelling in his job as a reporter and broadcaster for LBC on 'non essential' business but no criticism for non essential journeys across the channel. Oh, the irony. Anyway, it didn't happen, no immigrants are coming, no flights are coming. The moderators accused me of lying when I said this in a previous post and threatened to ban me and they, of course, know best.

vegansrock Wed 06-May-20 07:10:27

So how exactly are the home office letting us down in this case?
Should they have pushed them back into the sea?
I’m sure some on here would say yes.

yggdrasil Wed 06-May-20 07:18:37

I can't help thinking how bad things must be where these people come from, to risk their lives trying to get to this unwelcoming and disease-ridden country

Iam64 Wed 06-May-20 08:18:14

What a ridiculous idea, that the BF is being used as a taxi service. Desperate people are attempting to get into various European countries, including this one. I agree that these people should be quarantined, so should anyone arriving here by plane or sea, whether they are rich, poor, British nationals or visitors.
Farage is a disgusting, racist, populist individual. He shouldn't have made this journey for any reason.

We should not forget that Pritti Patel wouldn't be living in this country if her current rules on immigration had been in force when her parents arrived.

Just look at the nationalities, the countries of origin of so many workers in care homes and the NHS . We could hope that this world wide pandemic could nudge some racist bigots into a bit of humanity but evidently not.

Riverwalk Wed 06-May-20 08:42:33

or do you mean the BF should be repelling them with pitchforks, jabbing them back out to sea, and holing their boats.

Oh, there are plenty on here who would do just that!