Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can you think of a Prime Minister worse than Johnson?

(488 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-May-20 19:13:26

I don’t mean whether you agree with certain political policies, I am talking about competence, knowledge and integrity.

I truthfully can’t think of a single one.

All PMs have a weakness, no doubt but this goes beyond anything I’ve every seen or read.

MaizieD Wed 27-May-20 21:42:49

Astounded that anyone should think Johnson is 'capable'.

Mamardoit Wed 27-May-20 21:43:44

I had forgotten about Edward Heath and the three day week. That wasn't much fun.

MaizieD Wed 27-May-20 21:47:03

^ Is he like that to work with, too, in his office, I wonder? Or has the Rona taken a bigger toll than we’ve been led to believe?^

We were warned, SuDonim. Over and over again people who had employed him and worked with him told us about his laziness, his incompetence, his mendacity and his utter lack of integrity. But the idiots voted for him.

Mamardoit Wed 27-May-20 21:47:34

Astounded that anyone should think Johnson is 'capable'.

Well he was the most capable one on offer in December. You can be as astounded as you like your opinion is of no more importance that mine.

MaizieD Wed 27-May-20 21:48:34

At least none of the PMs I can remember hid from the public and refused to be held to account.

GrandmaMoira Wed 27-May-20 21:49:16

In my lifetime there's been PMs who I have liked and PMs whose policies and manner I haven't liked. Johnson is nothing like any previous PMs. He has no morals, no integrity, lies constantly and appears lazy - to me he has no redeeming qualities.
I understand he has charisma and a big personality which overwhelms people in person but can see no other reason why he was elected.

MaizieD Wed 27-May-20 21:49:50

Every other candidate had more capability in their little fingers than Johnson has in the whole of his flabby body.

MaizieD Wed 27-May-20 21:50:48

So Trumpian, eh, GrandmaMoira?

Mamardoit Wed 27-May-20 22:27:36

The only choices on offer were Jeremy Corbyn who was certainly the most useless leader of the opposition in my lifetime. The bar was set pretty low by the three tories after Major but the magic grandpa managed to get under with room to spare. Did he ever open is mouth re brexit?

Then we had a LibDums PM in waiting. She struggled to understand that anyone with a fully functioning penis had no business being in a ladies toilet.

Boris has the morals of a sewer rat and probably isn't the nicest of people. But he was the best on offer at the last GE.

Furret Wed 27-May-20 22:32:26

Really? I think anybody would have been better than Boris.

Callistemon Wed 27-May-20 22:38:57

Would it be easier to make a list of PMs who were reasonably competent?
It would be shorter.

Marmardoit, yes, I blame Corbyn, McDonnell and Momentum for landing us with this lot.

EllanVannin Wed 27-May-20 22:47:06

Furret, the population was 10 million less so work it out on that fact that out of 50 odd million that however many died, equates to the deaths per capita on the population we have now.

EllanVannin Wed 27-May-20 22:48:03

It's as broad as it's long going on todays population.

EllanVannin Wed 27-May-20 23:06:55

I think my post was censored, it vanished sad

Daisymae Wed 27-May-20 23:07:38

No, I don't think that there has been one in living memory. He is just the front man, I can't believe that people fell for it

Curlywhirly Wed 27-May-20 23:33:08

Well, after today's performance by Boris, I have never witnessed a more unprepared, incompetent PM. He was really out of his depth and it was embarassing to watch. He gives the impression that he's taken on more than he can chew; he's certainly struggling.

ajswan Wed 27-May-20 23:45:43

Isn't it strange that in my post, the point I mentioned about the furlough system and help for self-employed has been ignored. Lets just insult Boris instead. Incidentally Margaret Thatcher was my hero, (can't say heroine, its not politically correct). Regarding council housing, what she did was allow tenants who for many years had paid rent, the opportunity to buy their houses at a large discount. Going back to the blaming Boris, regarding care homes, over 80% of care homes are privately owned, charging residents anything from £500 to £2000 a week. I notice none of the fat cat owners have come forward to explain the terrible situation for the residents and staff. One of the panel on Loose Women said that some owners don't even live in this country !!

growstuff Wed 27-May-20 23:54:59

ajswan Please stop mentioning "the help for the self-employed" as though all self-employed received help. I didn't and don't. My income from self-employment, which practically disappeared overnight, was just less than my total income of approximately £13,000pa (out of which I have to pay rent and council tax). I wasn't eligible for any help, even though my rent alone is more than the income I now receive.

quizqueen Thu 28-May-20 00:09:13

Blinko -Brexiteers buy British.

Dinahmo Thu 28-May-20 00:15:32

ajswan France actually. There are similar plans to those in the UK to help employees whose businesses had to close and also self employed (auto entrepreneurs) The amounts vary but France was very quick to institute a relief scheme.

I don't know about Italy and Germany and the other European countries but you could easily look them up.

Dinahmo Thu 28-May-20 00:21:48

Judy70 The EU is discussing a 750 billion euros scheme for aid for members. That's what they are doing. Of course we will not benefit from this.

Dinahmo Thu 28-May-20 00:25:43

Lemsip I have fond memories of the 3 day week. i was working in an antiquarian booksellers in Mayfair at the time. we bought bottles of whisky using petty cash to keep us warm and i wrote up the books using candle light. Electricity was on or off for at regular times throughout the day.

janipat Thu 28-May-20 00:31:55

Bravo MaizieD I don't always agree with your posts but I was only saying to DH today that that report seemed to have conveniently died the death. It's not, as that Labour advisor said " a good day to bury bad news", but a good week/month to bury bad news. Trust the Tories to learn the less than admirable lessons from Labour. What's the betting if it is ever released there will be so much black marker pen it will be less than useless?

Dinahmo Thu 28-May-20 00:34:11

asjwwanagain. My clients are self employed. I have been dealing with queries during the past few weeks since the scheme for the self employed was announced.

The scheme is based on an average of profits over the three years to 05/04/2019. Many clients have invested money in their business by purchasing equipment which has reduced their tax able profits. Many of them are paying rent and may have other overheads, such as vehicle purchase. They still have to meet those payments although they may not have any money coming.

The grant is taxable income so surely it would have been better if they had looked at turnover, or excluded capital allowances claims, in order to arrive at the amount of the grant.

Lyndylou Thu 28-May-20 00:37:33

Tony Blair, Ted Heath, Callaghan. I would spit on Blair if I ever met him for the damage done to my son by the Iraq war. And don't get me started on the wanna-be's Corbyn and Kinnock. All Blair and Kinnock ever wanted were to get into the big money jobs in the European Union and, yes Boris is out of his depth at the moment, but I don't know who wouldn't be.

Totally agree with ajswan about fat cat care home owners They have a nerve now to be complaining about shortage of money from the government. Welcome asjwan by the way. smile