Gransnet forums

News & politics

Meeting grandchildren again

(78 Posts)
FruityGrann Thu 28-May-20 17:38:44

Anyone watching tooday's briefing.

Up to 6 people can meet outside from Monday, as long as they stay 2 metres apart.

I'm so excited to be able to see my grandchildren again, and while we may have to keep our distance, it's another step closer to being able to hug them again eventually smile

NotSpaghetti Fri 29-May-20 09:25:42

Like hicaz47 I think this is really tricky.
A minister on the radio said not to use other people’s facilities including the toilet. By the time I’ve driven to my daughter’s house I will need the loo.

They said not to share crockery/cutlery etc so maybe you are expected to take your own. No passing around of plates etc. No bringing of food to share. How does this work in real life?

It all sounds very engineered to me, not very relaxing and rather difficult - especially if they (or you) have small children.

Also, many people have a household bigger than the six allowed. Must half of them stay inside whilst visitors come for a bbq?

NotSpaghetti Fri 29-May-20 09:27:43

Glad that worked for you Stella by the way.

polnan Fri 29-May-20 09:45:53

yes petitpois, I have just asked a similar question on another thread
"shielded" and over 70`s with no underlying health restrictions,, two different categories previously

SeaWatcher Fri 29-May-20 10:04:23

I met my daughter and 11 years old and recently 6 years old granddaughters for a socially distanced park walk yesterday. The 11 year old was very careful to keep to the right distance but the 6 year old kept forgetting and wanting to hold my hand, have me help her when climbing a tree. My daughter and I kept reminding her but at one point she started to cry, saying she wanted to hold my hand. It was heartbreaking.

Aepgirl Fri 29-May-20 10:21:49

MiniMoon, so you can still meet as long as there are only 6 of you at a time. Just because there are 6 of you in your family doesn’t mean you can add another one to suit yourself.

Craftycat Fri 29-May-20 10:26:25

Well shoot me town in flames if you will but I'm going to see DGS today as it is his 5th birthday & we haven't seen him since all this madness started. It will be their large garden & he knows not to cuddle grandma.
I am so looking forward to it.
Always been a rebel!
48 hours won't make much difference.

NannyG123 Fri 29-May-20 10:28:35

I have a 4 yr old grandson who lives hour and half drive away. I can't wait to give him a hug. But I don't think it advisable for them to come down yet. He would want to go indoors at some point. And also he may forget. And I don't want him to keep being told not to come near us. As much as I'm missing him terribly. I will wait until I can hug him and still be safe.

harrigran Fri 29-May-20 10:42:13

I am going to sit it out, I could not live with myself if GC became ill after meeting up.
DH has to go to our other home where the incidence of the virus was very high, not sure if it is easing, and he will have to sign paperwork for solicitors.
We have not had this much contact with people since February.

harrigran Fri 29-May-20 10:42:14

I am going to sit it out, I could not live with myself if GC became ill after meeting up.
DH has to go to our other home where the incidence of the virus was very high, not sure if it is easing, and he will have to sign paperwork for solicitors.
We have not had this much contact with people since February.

harrigran Fri 29-May-20 10:48:33

Oops, the website is playing silly beggars.

Marley18 Fri 29-May-20 10:49:00

I saw one my grandchildren yesterday..she is only 4 but was extremely cautious around me and kept looking over to her mum..so sad most out of character ..I fear this pandemic has taken its toll on the children already

Pippet Fri 29-May-20 10:58:55

Happy family times to come. I’ve spaced my garden chairs out in prep. As a new comer to the lovely posts please may I ask what the acronym AIBU means. Thank you all

Ann29 Fri 29-May-20 11:09:05

I don't think I could cope if I visited the grandchildren and had to say don't get close to Nanna or hold hands/hug . I would feel I rejecting them. I am very unsure if I will see them or not.

Calendargirl Fri 29-May-20 11:27:40

Pippet

Am I Being Unreasonable?

Guide to acronyms bottom of page.

Calendargirl Fri 29-May-20 11:28:17

And welcome Pippet

Cobweb01 Fri 29-May-20 11:45:20

I am in Wales and my daughter is in England - she is pregnant with her first child (my first grandchild) and I haven't been able to see her since Christmas, before she knew she was pregnant. I am just hoping I will be able to go to her, as she wants, when baby is born: he is due in September. I also have loads of baby clothes, nappies, etc I need to get to her. At the moment, things are very strict still in Wales.

Furret Fri 29-May-20 11:52:07

Radio 4 this morning...put notices up in loo. Ask people to put seat down before they flush. Not to have a hand towel but instead disposal wipes. Stagger users.

Missed the beginning ...did anyone else catch it?

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 29-May-20 11:57:38

Don't think it will impact on me too much - my little GS has Down Syndrome and always wants cuddles, so won't be meeting him. My 4 year old GD is convinced everyone has a "bug" and won't even speak to me on Facetime in case she gets it!!!

aonk Fri 29-May-20 12:01:21

I agree with those who are struggling with the magic number of 6. As my DH and I have 4 married AC with 7 children between them we cannot all meet up and will need to do so separately with each individual household. Just glad to be able to do it at all.

Molli Fri 29-May-20 12:10:55

I’ve really struggled with not seeing my daughter and grandchildren. A couple of days ago I met my daughter. Big step for her. She did say that it would be impossible for 22mth old to keep social distancing but I think it would be fine. Our garden is big and I said we would jut dodge her!!! 7 yr old should be ok and we renovated an old go cart so pretty sure he will spend his time on that. But hubby said something interesting. With the track and trace you have to be within 2m for at least 15 mins to generate a call. I’m pretty sure we can keep little one’s active and outside so that isn’t broached. Just no cuddles and snuggles to read stories or during a nap. I have every finger and toe crossed my daughter will say she will come round.

Cabbie21 Fri 29-May-20 12:12:24

As I have just said on another thread, I won’t be meeting with my 18 year old granddaughter who is currently working in a supermarket as her college is shut. She mixes with all and sundry.
I do think it is important to consider how our families have spent the last few weeks. If they have been at home then the risks of infection are slight, compared to those out at work, especially any who are eg care workers, bus drivers or work for the NHS.

humptydumpty Fri 29-May-20 12:13:17

hicaz46 can I suggest that you use disposable cutlery and plates for your BBQ? would solve one problem..

Pittcity Fri 29-May-20 12:34:50

Many people have already been meeting more than the one person allowed in England at present and have plans to meet family this weekend. The increased number doesn't come into force until Monday. I do hope that people are sensible and there is no reason to lock us down again.

gillybob Fri 29-May-20 12:43:12

Where to start Furret?

If my DD has the kind of well paid job that enabled her to employ a nanny that would be okay . Said nanny could feed, look after, nappy change , comfort child .

Sadly my DD has a poorly paid ( but very necessary to her) job and I provide free childcare for her little one .

Can anyone explain the difference except for the money ?

gillybob Fri 29-May-20 12:44:42

So far I have abided by the rules to the absolute letter . But my DD has been told that she MUST return to work . No furlough. So it’s either work or zero income. .