Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can't believe it!

(257 Posts)
phoenix Sat 30-May-20 16:23:47

No one has posted about George Floyd!

Disgraceful killing.

Are we unable to look beyond our own immediate locality? Have we stopped caring about anything beyond bloody Covid 19 and the fact we can't see our grandchildren?

Sorry, not my usual sort of post, will don my tin helmet and get behind the sofa.

CherryCezzy Sat 30-May-20 22:21:31

EllenVannin, it's not their faults that they're black may not come across the way you meant it to. Being black is not a fault.

phoenix Sat 30-May-20 22:30:20

PGAgirl of course those stabbings are atrocious, and some sort of action should be taken, although I don't know what sad

However the death of George Floyd was caused by a police officer, the very people that we should be able to rely on to act in a decent way.

rafichagran Sat 30-May-20 22:37:05

Shocking, George Floyd was kept on the road, he was hand cuffed, with that police officers foot on his neck for nearly 9 minutes, he said very clearly he could not breathe.
I am glad Trisher started this thread, as I was thinking about doing it today. My partner is a Black man and I would hate to live in America, as I would fear for his safety. The racism there is bad, especially amongst the Police.

phoenix Sat 30-May-20 22:48:03

rafichagran, it was the officers knee, not his foot, and I believe that when a bystander said "the guy can't breathe" the officer replied along the lines of "He's talking, therefore he's breathing".

Still completely unacceptable.

rafichagran Sat 30-May-20 22:57:15

Sorry Phoenix I dont know why I said foot, as I have watched that footage over and over again.
When George Floyd said I cant breathe that officer said just relax. This officer was also known to be involved with other incidents this was said by a retired Police Officer.

Summerlove Sat 30-May-20 23:44:04

Why doesn't a rich country such as the USA sort out their ghetto's that they have in every state. Minneapolis is largely black as is Detroit and the Bronx. There's poverty and hardship and not always through the fault of the inhabitants there such as Detroit when the motor industry folded.

They don’t want to.

The system as it is, inheritantly racist as it is, doesnt hurt white people. So they are very pleased with the status quo.

They need to educate themselves on their white privileged and fragility. Most importantly, we need to be willing to say that it’s not ok. We need to stand up.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 31-May-20 07:08:58

Things are beginning to get out of control. There is filmed footage on twitter.

Share widely: National guard and MPD sweeping our residential street. Shooting paint canisters at us on our own front porch. Yelling “light em up” #JusticeForGeorgeFloyd #Justic

Whitewavemark2 Sun 31-May-20 07:14:36

Michael Moore

Michael Moore
@MMFlint

The dominant image on display tonight: The American Experiment is dead. Killed by the collective knee of white power, white privilege, and white ownership of property/wealth/wage-slave labor. America the Beautiful? We never repented for our Original Sins of slavery & genocide.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 31-May-20 07:16:09

Unleashed by arch racist Trump

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
The National Guard has been released in Minneapolis to do the job that the Democrat Mayor couldn’t do. Should have been used 2 days ago & there would not have been damage & Police Headquarters would not have been taken over & ruined. Great job by the National Guard. No games!

rafichagran Sun 31-May-20 08:52:29

I have been watching CNN, and experts have been saying for a long time the knee to neck is a dangerous manoeuvre.
I, like my partner are very concerned and angry about what happened to George Floyd and I know because of the colour of his skin my partner would not feel safe in the USA, especially where the Police are concerned.

sodapop Sun 31-May-20 08:56:52

I was appalled by this incident as well. Not just the unnecessary method of restraint but the almost nonchalant way other officers stood by and let it happen.
Emotions are running high due to lock down so this has fuelled the fire. My grandson lives in Cincinnati and says they are rioting there.

Luckygirl Sun 31-May-20 09:07:35

I am sure that we are all outraged by this. I have made a point of not watching the video - I am fully aware of the capacity for evil.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 31-May-20 09:46:30

I am following this story on the BBC and twitter. I have American friends and they are horrified beyond belief. I keep a journal, and back in 2016 I wrote that the election of trump could not be a good thing for all sorts of reasons. Sadly I have been proved right and if he is re-elected in November, the USA wil be going to hell in a handcart. Obviously trump will do his best not to lose. As soon as he walks out of the White House for the final time, he will be arrested. Biden has said he would not pardon him.

Scottiebear Sun 31-May-20 09:47:57

It is absolutely appalling. But I think people round the country are coping with various issues of their own under lockdown. Perhaps its just too much for some people to take on at the moment. It has left me wondering what sort of world we are living in. I sit in my comfortable life and when I see injustices like this, and the various responses to it, I feel like I am living in a parallel universe.

Taliya Sun 31-May-20 09:49:22

Racism in America is sadly endemic. Police forces in many US States are institutionally racist and some openly so. Trump has encouraged racism in the US by his thoughtless words over the years. It's pretty horrific what happened to that poor man. He was murdered in broad daylight by a police officer, whom I might add has past history for this sort of thing, but had got away with it before. If that bystander hadn't filmed this and proved that George had not resisted arrest, the police officers had first said he had done so, then he would have just been another statistic in the USA of black people being killed by police officers but no action taken. Trump is disgusting and a disgrace.

Jishere Sun 31-May-20 09:51:51

Of course this is terrible but what was briefly in the news the woman who was tormented and raped in Ukraine by two police officers. Surely this matters too?
Some of the police all around the world are evil and corrupt.

Coconut Sun 31-May-20 09:52:46

I just think that words fail most of us when witnessing that cruel, inhumane treatment in this day and age. We are all left shocked and disgusted and I for one cannot understand why people do not evolve and accept others whatever their colour, race or religion. It appears that so many people just do not ever learn from the cruelty and horrors of the past, so history will just keep on repeating itself ....all fuelled of course by a demented, orange ego maniac who should be in an asylum instead of the White House.

travelsafar Sun 31-May-20 10:01:13

I agree the vidieo was horrifying!!! Can you imagine seeing it and and it was a family member who commited this awful act. How could you face that man or any of the other officers who were there, ever again. I just hope that justice prevails, i dread to think how he will be treated if he is put in jail, i should think the remainder of his life will be hell for this awful brutality.

Patticake123 Sun 31-May-20 10:02:46

Whilst I absolutely abhor the riots that are taking place throughout the USA I fully understand why they are taking place. The authorities took far too long to arrest the murderer and that time gap encouraged this to happen . The other three police that were present are still walking free. My own son and his family live in Brooklyn NY and I am extremely concerned about their welfare.

Maremia Sun 31-May-20 10:24:22

Yes, it is a shocking crime. We haven't been ignoring it. Just dealing with it on other media forms. What amazed me were the details given, in one of the newspaper reports/maybe Facebook, about other incidents involving that same Police Officer. He should have been sacked/arrested ages ago.

Annaram1 Sun 31-May-20 10:28:20

I am so glad our British police are not like American police. America is not the Land of the Free and the home of the just (or is it brave?) Its a police state. I would hate to live there.

JaneRn Sun 31-May-20 10:33:54

There is a petition on-line in which you can express your disgust.

Petalpop Sun 31-May-20 10:35:03

Annaram1 I am with you on that one.

MaizieD Sun 31-May-20 10:36:15

There's a twitter thread here with video footage of various kinds.

twitter.com/abandonedameric/status/1266979308947603456

There are so many diverse responses to this. What is worrying is the implication that in some areas the destruction of property and looting is actually being initiated by gangs of white youths, acting as some sort of agents provocateurs. And people arrested for looting have not been local to the area.

In some cases these demonstrations are being manipulated to increase racial hatred.

OTH, I've seen footage of a local sheriff, completely unarmed and 'unprotected', marching with protesters.

MaizieD Sun 31-May-20 10:38:50

I am so glad our British police are not like American police

Gawd! Tell that to the miners who were on strike in the '80s

And we've seen more recent examples.

Not 'like' because not armed, but the potential is absolutely there.