Gransnet forums

News & politics

Meghan's Speech

(233 Posts)
merlotgran Thu 04-Jun-20 09:23:07

I would have applauded this speech had Meghan been an A list celebrity in her own right and not used her marriage to a member of the RF as a leg up on to the platform she now occupies.

Now she's back in LA where she always wanted to be, she's in the thick of massive racist issues involving violent demonstrations. It seems it was ever thus in the USA.

I couldn't help thinking back to her self pitying comments about racism in the UK. Now we're caught up in the turmoil caused by an act of racist violence in her own country where she fled to 'escape' her unfair treatment over here. hmm

almostelderly Thu 04-Jun-20 10:25:35

The speech once again was all about Meghan and her sincerity shone through. She was an actress after all. Meghan has now become an expert on racism, her elephant phase must be over. I wish the woman would cease embracing the publicity she despises and disappear.

timetogo2016 Thu 04-Jun-20 10:27:24

Spot on Chewbacca.
Me me me me me me MEGAN.

trisher Thu 04-Jun-20 10:33:21

The confusion about Meghan Markle amuses me. She is sometimes called a minor actress,sometimes an A list celebrity, accused of marrying for social status, criticised for chucking that very status and now apparently shouldn't speak out about racism in the US because she spoke about it in the UK.
Try bringing a little objectivity to your posts Gransnetters. It's getting really silly.
No reason she shouldn't speak ou about racism and her personal experience of it here or anywhere.

Anniebach Thu 04-Jun-20 10:40:28

Always defending Megan trisher ?

MaizieD Thu 04-Jun-20 10:46:18

But I assume this is just a “starter for ten”.....pages of rants about Harry and Meghan.

You should have run a book on it, Lucca grin

Granny23 Thu 04-Jun-20 10:48:45

Megan would be damned if she did speak out and damned if she did not.

Chewbacca Thu 04-Jun-20 10:51:10

Doubt that she'd be damned for keeping quiet for once Granny23.

Smileless2012 Thu 04-Jun-20 10:51:46

I didn't listen to her, muted the sound on the tv until it was over.

Luckygirl Thu 04-Jun-20 10:55:03

She was invited to make a speech at the school - she did it - it was a good speech.

I am guessing she has not written to schools and said - "Hey, look at me; I am married to a British royal; I can come to your school and make a speech.. Aren't I great!"

silverlining48 Thu 04-Jun-20 11:00:03

She was asked to give a talk at her old school, Presumably for graduation. I saw the clip and thought she did well, and is entitled to her views and opinions. I have not followed the Meghan/Harry saga so have no opinion on her, but can’t understand why she is so criticised.

merlotgran Thu 04-Jun-20 11:01:11

Merlot I’m confused ! You think it’s good she spoke up or you don’t ?

No need to be confused, Lucca. I think it's good that she spoke up but without the platform that the RF has provided I don't think anyone would be terribly interested.

Listening to her account of the LA riots when she was a child made me think her criticism of the UK after we gave her such a warm welcome (YES, we did!) was very unfair.

Sadly, there is racism everywhere, in all walks of life. Meghan has made it clear she prefers to be in America where it is far worse than in Britain.

Any criticism of Meghan is now deemed to be racist and that is unfair.

merlotgran Thu 04-Jun-20 11:05:43

I am guessing she has not written to schools and said - "Hey, look at me; I am married to a British royal; I can come to your school and make a speech.. Aren't I great!"

No but her agent probably did. grin

eazybee Thu 04-Jun-20 11:19:22

She is no longer married to a Royal; they have both lost their royal status from the beginning of June.

Anniebach Thu 04-Jun-20 11:24:55

Who gave the video to the media if it was to one school ?

Jabberwok Thu 04-Jun-20 12:18:55

To say that she was driven out of he UK because of racism is so unfair and completely untrue, the press did not give her a hard time, (has to be a first!!) she needs to look at old film and she will see cheering crowds and adoring fans! I don't know how her husband puts up with her coniving lies and I hope she never comes near this country again!

trisher Thu 04-Jun-20 12:26:05

Racism is alive and prospering on GN I see.

merlotgran Thu 04-Jun-20 12:31:45

Rubbish! trisher

My opinion would be the same whatever the colour of her skin.

Lucca Thu 04-Jun-20 12:40:29

Still confused. Fact is she did marry into the RF.
However as an actress she may well have been invited by her old school to do a speech.
I’ve read her speech now, it was a perfectly decent speech and she related it to herself to the same extent that any alumnus would and relating to a topical issue.
Let’s be a little fair

Jabberwok Thu 04-Jun-20 12:41:50

Oh for heaven's sake, its nothing to do with her race but everything to do with her appalling behaviour. I couldn't give a toss about the colour of skin and would feel the same whoever she was!

Lucca Thu 04-Jun-20 12:43:46

I didn’t mention racism

Anniebach Thu 04-Jun-20 12:44:18

I am sure she was invited by her old school to make the speech, I do wonder who passed the video to the media, surely
not the school, they must know she could sue , unless done with. Her permission!

Calendargirl Thu 04-Jun-20 12:45:17

I didn’t know she’d made a speech. Will look it up.

Smileless2012 Thu 04-Jun-20 12:45:34

Quite right Jabberwork and she does those who are facing racial abuse a huge disservice by claiming she was on the receiving end of racial abuse in the UK when she wasn't.

merlotgran Thu 04-Jun-20 12:45:59

Let’s be a little fair

I haven't criticised the content of her speech, Lucca I thought it was well put together but her bleating to Tom Bradby seems even more out of place now.

Lucca Thu 04-Jun-20 12:46:01

Why do you wonder ? What does it matter ?