Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why do far right protesters Attack the police?

(136 Posts)
vegansrock Sat 13-Jun-20 17:51:39

One would have thought that far right protesters would not be anti police. Why can’t they have a peaceful protest?

Furret Sun 14-Jun-20 23:19:31

Dollymc2 Sun 14-Jun-20 22:36:06

'Tommy Robinson's' clarion call to the disaffected, the weak of thinking, the let down by the Tory Government worked
They turned up in their droves
There is something seriously wrong with society, oh hang on a minute, there is no such thing as society, you were bang on Margaret
This was the start of the rot...

JuneRose Sun 14-Jun-20 22:22:36

I do feel it's a shame that it's almost frowned upon to be patriotic in this country. No-one takes issue with a proud Scot for instance but a proud Englishman? Those violent, drunken hooligans rampaging round our cities yesterday should not be seen as representation of anyone who is proud of this country. They are an abomination. They do not speak for the majority of English people who I believe do want a fair and equal society. Instead look at those proud and patriotic ex servicemen who paraded yesterday and all those who love this country who just go about their lives and want the best for the next generation of all races.

MissAdventure Sun 14-Jun-20 22:06:32

They're a bloody disgrace!

JuneRose Sun 14-Jun-20 22:05:20

I meant BLM supporters. I think the majority of far right are mindless hooligans.

vegansrock Sun 14-Jun-20 22:00:55

Where are the majority of right wing supporters who want peaceful protest then?

JuneRose Sun 14-Jun-20 21:53:46

I didn't say all BLM supporters were far left. There is a minority on either side intent upon stirring up hatred and violence. The majority I believe want peaceful protest to bring about change.

MaizieD Sun 14-Jun-20 21:49:50

It is being reported that the man who had his throat slashed yesterday by a BLM supporter has now died.

Rumours have been circulated widely on social media that an anti-racist protester stabbed a 'Protect the Statues' protester in one of the many running battles seen in Central London.

In one widely shared post, one social media shared a screenshot from a video of the alleged stabbing saying: "This was the moment when a black man stabbed a white man in the throat at today's protests."

Despite the well spread lie, police have since confirmed that this did not happen.

A spokesperson for the police said: "We are aware of social media posts reporting a stabbing at today's protests. We have not received any reports of a stabbing in relation to today's protests."

Also if you watch the video in its entirety the man can be seen getting up after the punch.

www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-news/met-police-dispel-rumours-stabbing-18417295

Hate to disappoint the people who wanted this to be true...

AGAA4 Sun 14-Jun-20 15:42:11

The police are 'the thin blue line' between us and anarchy. If they hadn't been there when these thugs arrived for no other reason than violence then I dread to think what would have happened.

People forget these policemen and women are someone's son, daughter or husband. The chances of them being injured or worse is high in these volatile situations.

They are doing their best to keep the peace and I think some people forget this.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 14-Jun-20 15:41:06

There seems to be conflicting reports as to whether or not this is true, I hope it is not for everyone concerned.

lemongrove Sun 14-Jun-20 15:38:01

Maggiemaybe

27 unarmed police officers were injured at the peaceful protests in London last week (at least two seriously). I’ve seen no mention at all on news reports of how they’re recovering or of how many have been hurt this weekend, but from the photos I’ve seen it’s obvious that the numbers will be much higher.

They don’t matter, to the thugs who’d attack anyone who stopped them having their fun, or to the many on social media who at best casually condemn all police officers as brutal and/or racist and at worst call for more attacks on them. They’re despised for being weak when they hold back for fear of exacerbating a situation, condemned when they go in strongly. They’re society’s whipping boys (and girls), and I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone chooses to join their ranks. It’s certainly not for the pay, the hours, the fun or the respect from the general public.

For those in my family, it’s because they genuinely want to make a difference. I’m very proud of them, but after the experiences they’ve had, I wish they’d chosen easier ways of doing it.

I agree, well said!
There has been violence to the police from all sides in recent demonstrations here in the UK, equally unacceptable!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 14-Jun-20 15:25:54

It is being reported that the man who had his throat slashed yesterday by a BLM supporter has now died.

If this is true it is so unbelievably sad.

sodapop Sun 14-Jun-20 14:47:43

Your last comment was out of order EllanVannin "his own people" ?
I know of several older people who have gone without to ensure they had a nice funeral with all the attendant 'fripperies'.

MaizieD Sun 14-Jun-20 14:39:03

. It doesn't kid me for 5 minutes.

What doesn't kid you for 5 minutes, EV?

Isn't it, wasn't it, obvious that yesterday's rioting was completely senseless and purposeless. The purpose for their meeting up in large numbers, armed to the teeth with smoke and paint bombs, and creating their own missiles as they emptied the beer cans, was totally removed by the cancellation of the BLM demo. But they went ahead and did what they'd intended to do anyway, have a good fight... it didn't matter who with, the police, journalists (don't forget that the rightwing press has been psyching them up to be anti journalists & the press; what was the hashtag? #scumpress, or something similar?) and people picnicking in the park, anyone would do.

What worries me is that in the past, this sort of mindless violence has been confined to football supporter gangs. This was containable and, indeed, I thought it was very much better now than it was in the 70s and 80s.

But since the Brexit vote their 'targets' have broadened, encouraged by being 'the people' whose Leave vote mattered more than that of Remain voters and being given targets by the press; Judges - enemies of the people, the 'Remoaner elite', Parliament obstructing their wishes - drain the swamp...

Anyone who has studied the progress of revolutions can see that mobs can be manipulated and vent their anger on anyone they perceive as being 'against' them.

This is not looking good...

Jillybird Sun 14-Jun-20 14:20:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jun-20 14:13:24

Did anyone notice the gold/gilt casket that man was buried in ?
One thing sort of laughs at another when his own people can't even begin to afford to eat properly let alone such fripperies to end up under the ground.

Callistemon Sun 14-Jun-20 14:09:19

I find it despicable too, whoever they are.

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jun-20 14:07:05

Pity the horses didn't kick back !

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jun-20 14:05:56

Anyone who attacks animals is no good anyway no matter who they are.

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jun-20 14:04:13

It was all an excuse to commit destruction and violence---nothing else. It doesn't kid me for 5 minutes.
People run with the fox and hunt with the hound in this country and this is exactly why the so-called " far-right " attacked police-----with their institutional racism !!

MaizieD Sun 14-Jun-20 14:00:21

I was going to ask why BLM protestors attack horses?

If you looked at the video links I posted on another thread, CAllistomen you will see that police horse were 'attacked' yesterday, too.

I don't think it's a deliberate attack on the horse, it's the police person on top, they're after. (in both cases, I might add). The horses are something in the nature of collateral damage.

It would more than raise a few eyebrows, though, if the horses were trained to retaliate with rearing, kicking and biting, as they would have been trained to do in battle... hmm

GrannyGravy13 Sun 14-Jun-20 13:55:51

I believe in equality for all.

I do not believe in violence or illegal protests. (All the protests are against Covid-19 guidelines)

GG65 Sun 14-Jun-20 13:46:40

Are there people on here who are happy to admit that they believe in inequality? Because it's becoming obvious that some of your do

I believe in equality, but ...

GGumteenth Sun 14-Jun-20 13:43:11

So when did all the BLM protesters become "far-left"? Or do people simply assume that standing up for equality means they must be.

Are there people on here who are happy to admit that they believe in inequality? Because it's becoming obvious that some of your do.

growstuff Sun 14-Jun-20 13:19:30

I didn't think you would Anniebach. That' why I posted it. It was all over social media over the last few days and what fired up many of Tommy Robinson's followers to go to London.

They went for a fight, even though their "enemy" wasn't there and the statues had been boarded up anyway.