Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why do far right protesters Attack the police?

(136 Posts)
vegansrock Sat 13-Jun-20 17:51:39

One would have thought that far right protesters would not be anti police. Why can’t they have a peaceful protest?

MaizieD Mon 15-Jun-20 11:17:37

I also went to the Reuters page that you posted, growstuff, and followed their links to the examples of the fake news being posted on social media. One of the facebook posts has clearly been removed, the other two have been checked by facebook and are flagged as fake news. The twitter ones remain ?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 15-Jun-20 11:05:06

David Lammy’s comment

Whitewavemark2 Mon 15-Jun-20 10:57:09

I see Johnson has kicked the issue into touch with an enquiry.

No surprise, why actually do anything when you can get away with doing nothing?

growstuff Mon 15-Jun-20 10:46:40

Maizie Good! The trouble is that I saw some tweets just a couple of hours ago still claiming that the horse had died. We should all know how viruses act now! Once it's out there, it's very hard to control - same with tweets.

jaylucy Mon 15-Jun-20 10:30:30

They are not protesting about anything. Just taking advantage of a situation to their advantage.
There always seems to be a small (relatively speaking) knot of people that think it is great fun to go out and deliberately hurt complete strangers, be it at football matches or demonstrations - purely to give those with a valid reason to be there, a bad name.
Have no idea why idiots like them feel it acceptable behaviour, but personally they should all be rounded up and slung in a cage!

Georgesgran Mon 15-Jun-20 10:24:59

I was horrified to see a video on my DDs phone, showing the riot in Newcastle. Film of the right wing thugs making their way across parkland spitting on and pushing people sitting on the grass and walking through their picnics.

They called themselves Defenders if Newcastle - not in my name - and claimed to be guarding the statue of Earl Grey. He was leader of the Government which abolished slavery!! How was that going to be vandalized???

When they realised they couldn’t get to the BLM crowd, held behind a line of Police Officers well away from the trouble, they started throwing bottles, bricks and flares at the nearest Police. Several were injured and one Police horse was hit in the face by a large object. Thankfully it’s rider managed to calm it.

Not saying there aren’t extremists muscling into BLM to incite trouble, but when the camera pans back to them, they’re singing!!

Awful scenes though - probably because there’s no football matches for the yobs to fight at? Hope the officers, two horses and dog hurt are all ok today.

MaizieD Mon 15-Jun-20 10:24:43

Just checked her time-line. No retraction, though number of responses to her tweet putting her right on the fact that it was fake news.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 15-Jun-20 10:02:08

growstuff

Has Carole Maloney issued a retraction?

Honestly, I haven't checked.

growstuff Mon 15-Jun-20 09:48:17

They are mentally challenged/weak of thinking yobs. They're cannon fodder.

The real nasty pieces of work are the ones sitting in the background, begging for money from their supporters, inciting hatred, editing videos and photos and allegedly keeping their hands clean. If they are questioned for incitement to hatred, they play the victim card by expressing faux outrage, so their supporters are even more convinced that the establishment, including the police, is out to get them.

Stories about the dead horse and man with slashed throat are still circulating on social media. In fact, the man who allegedly slashed somebody's throat has been named. I hope he's being protected.

It's long been known that various right wing groups in the UK have links, some with established political parties. Saturday's violence was deliberate and orchestrated. There is absolutely no equivalence with BLM protests.

This is exactly what happened in 1930s Germany. I don't know how many times I've read that the whole of Germany was to blame because nobody did anything to stop it. Anybody who thinks that Saturday's "culture" (ho ho) protests were in any way justified is just the same as those Germans who did nothing.

growstuff Mon 15-Jun-20 09:37:06

Has Carole Maloney issued a retraction?

growstuff Mon 15-Jun-20 09:36:13

Reuters Fact Check on horse which allegedly died, news which was widely circulated on social media.

Totally false.

Fact check: Police horse uninjured in London protest, didn’t die of heart failure

Some social media users have wrongly claimed that a police horse used by a mounted police officer attending an anti-racism protest in London has died of heart failure.

The posts can be seen ( here , here , here , here and here ).

“Sadly the horse that was attacked on Whitehall has passed away of heart failure,” reads a caption alongside the post, referring to the London district where the British government offices are located.

The posts incorporate a low-resolution version of a Press Association photograph, which can be seen here . The picture dates from June 6 and the caption reads: “A bicycle is thrown at mounted police on horseback in Whitehall following a Black Lives Matter protest rally in Parliament Square, London”.

During the June 6 protest, a police officer suffered injuries after falling from her horse, which then bolted and knocked over another woman ( here ).

However, the Metropolitan Police said reports of the horse’s death were false.

“The horse, which was uninjured, made its way back to the nearby stables,” a police spokesman said in an email.

www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-horse-idUSKBN23H2FI

growstuff Mon 15-Jun-20 09:25:48

Thanks for coming back to me JuneRose. It's so easy on here to misinterpret a post. Sorry if I did that with yours.

MaizieD Mon 15-Jun-20 08:49:59

Thanks, GG13

GrannyGravy13 Mon 15-Jun-20 08:47:16

MaizieD

Who was the established journalist reporting the death of the police horse, GG13?

Clearly someone not to be trusted in the future so it would be helpful for us all to know who it was.

Of course, people like that thrive on others passing on their fake news without bothering to check its veracity. hmm

It was Carole Malone on twitter.

MaizieD Mon 15-Jun-20 08:39:30

They’re mentally challenged yobs.

That's no way to talk about your fellow Leave voters, Nfk. ?

We have been constantly assured that every single one of those 17.4 million knew what they were voting for. Now you're telling us that at least several thousand didn't...

MaizieD Mon 15-Jun-20 08:31:52

Who was the established journalist reporting the death of the police horse, GG13?

Clearly someone not to be trusted in the future so it would be helpful for us all to know who it was.

Of course, people like that thrive on others passing on their fake news without bothering to check its veracity. hmm

JuneRose Mon 15-Jun-20 07:51:56

Where did I say the two sides can be compared growstuff? There is no comparison between the aims of each side. One side wants equality and progress, the other are hooligans filled with hatred and bile. I don't believe they can be compared. Sorry if I gave that impression.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 15-Jun-20 07:17:22

I lost my internet yesterday pm/evening.

I am extremely pleased that the stabbing reports were fake, there was an established journalist reporting that a Police Horse had died, the Metropolitan Police have denied this also.

I must have missed anyone defending the violence at the weekend, all violence is wrong , whatever side is taking part!

NfkDumpling Mon 15-Jun-20 07:13:09

This is the photo mentioned up thread (sorry, can’t find the post). I think it sums up the mentality of the so-called ‘far right’. They’re mentally challenged yobs. I don’t think they’re capable of being far right, Brexit or anything else. They’re just anti everything as John Cleese summed up so brilliantly.

vegansrock Mon 15-Jun-20 06:41:57

Those who claim that both sides are as bad are saying two wrongs make a right and are defending these scum. They are the epitome of thick racists who don’t represent me. This is why some feel ashamed of Inger-land not proud.

Furret Mon 15-Jun-20 06:31:37

growstuff I saw the interviews about the photo I posted. It wasn’t just the actual BLM protester who responded. Although he was the one who scooped him up out of harms way, there were a whole group of his black friends who acted as shields.

But it says much that only you (so far) have commented on a Good Samaritan.

Sparkling Mon 15-Jun-20 06:01:23

EllenVannin. Your post on Saturday, justifying violence is sickening. You get used to extremist views on here by just a few. That us an all time low. People with your mindset are dangerous. Anyone that attacks our Police, who are just doing their job for all of us, ordinary brave young people, not violent thugs without a brain cell between them, who have been taught by their disfunctional families that the way to make a point is to put the boot in. I feel upset for the decent people on here who have family in the police force reading comments like that. I want to say to all of them, you have every right to be proud of those policemen and women and we the general public appreciate them very much. Extremists right or left should be arrested under special powers and have the stiffest sentences, all benefits they have stopped, pay for the damage they cause and help clean it up. They get away with it here because of our system. They are cowards.

Txquiltz Mon 15-Jun-20 03:24:49

There is a wide gulf between protest and rioting. Rioting serves no purpose in establishing a cause, but it does cause obfuscation and anger.

growstuff Mon 15-Jun-20 02:55:22

JuneRose I disagree that the two "sides" can be compared.

growstuff Mon 15-Jun-20 02:51:37

Furret There was an interview with the man who just picked up the one who was injured. That picture is an authentic one. Well done to the one who possibly saved somebody from much worse injury.

However, the video of somebody having his throat slashed is fake. There are a number of other fake videos/photos circulating on social media.

It's bad enough that the mindless scum behaved as they did yesterday. I actually think it's worse that there were people sitting at home in front of their screens with video editing software producing totally fake news. It was planned deception and all seemed to come from one side.

They know that they can circulate the fake news to their followers, who are so thick that they believe it and spread the lies even more until they whip themselves up into a frenzy of hate.

Tommy Robinson produced a hate-filled video to goad his supporters into attending the protest on Saturday, then stayed away. He didn't need to be there because his henchmen were doing the work for him. What's the betting he was behind the faked videos. He was certainly one of the first to tweet them and start the spread.

I am not aware of BLM employing any of these kind of tactics.