Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why aren't we proud anymore?

(157 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Wed 17-Jun-20 10:40:29

Atm I rarely post on GN now.
I couldn't agree more Dragonfly
I am proud to be British.
Our scientists through the pandemic have been outstanding and our Laboratories and universities have worked there socks off.

Yesterday it was reported that there has been a break through by an Oxford lab, finding a pre existing drug that is useful to coronavirus patients on oxygen and ventilators.

This has been reported in several online newspapers around the world

I refuse to read anti British rants on the internet.

In real life my family and friends are pro British and happy to live in the UK.
Thankfull for our freedoms.
A country that stood together through this pandemic.
And a heath service that has provided care.
Built field hospitals with the help the military services in double quick time etc etc
I could go on and on...
But there will be the usual half glass full people ready to tell me I am wrong..

But hey ho we have flags fluttering all over our village which were put up for VE day.

Galaxy Wed 17-Jun-20 10:39:08

I think criticising the government is a key part of democracy of which I am proud.

Ellianne Wed 17-Jun-20 10:32:08

Very interesting dragonfly. I also lived in Europe and used to despair with foreigners not being able to laugh at themselves like we Brits do. I found their pride in their own nation almost arrogant.
Wind forward a decade or two and I now view that pride very differently. It preserves their nationality and culture and serves them in good stead in a crisis. Annie touches on a possible answer to our failings in this area - that the UK is so diverse now in so many ways that we have lost our sense of identity.
I sometimes despair that we can be so proud of our celebrities but not of our scientists, architects, farmers, teachers etc. It is time to see the amazing talents in our people.

Anniebach Wed 17-Jun-20 10:21:02

Could it be that we are four countries ?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 17-Jun-20 10:13:46

Totally agree Dragonfly I am and always have been proud to be British.

Oldwoman70 Wed 17-Jun-20 10:11:12

This is something I was thinking this morning - in no other country is flying the national flag considered to be only done by "thugs".

The UK has much to regret - as have many other countries but you don't see patriotism being derided in any other country.

dragonfly46 Wed 17-Jun-20 10:05:14

I very rarely post on political threads as quite honestly they often just go nowhere but I have to ask where our proud has gone.

I lived in Europe for nearly 20 years and realised that we are the only nation which is not proud of our country. We constantly criticise and put ourselves down. This leads us open to the same from other nations. You would never hear a Dutchman, German, Frenchman, I could go on, running their country down like we do.

There are many threads on here about how the government have done everything wrong etc but is there one praising our scientists, doctors for discovering a simple drug which my cut Covid deaths by a third. At last we have something of which we should be proud so lets celebrate for once and stop bringing our once proud nation down.

Please do not say it is due to the left, right or even middle politics. This has been going on some time I moved to Europe in 1977 and it was apparent then.