Gransnet forums

News & politics

All in the best possible taste!!

(51 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 17-Jun-20 18:54:30

Johnson has decided to pay £900k to get the official government plane painted red white and blue!!

Dear oh dear.

Dinahmo Fri 19-Jun-20 00:15:36

Not all the Tory MPs are pro Brexit. If Johnson carries on in his present fashion he'll be gone soon. Unless of course the Tory Party and the 1922 Committee decide that he must complete the process and then they'll get rid of him once they've got what they wanted.

lemongrove Thu 18-Jun-20 22:56:54

It certainly won’t GG13 ?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Jun-20 20:49:02

Whitewavemark2

The Independent , saw it on twitter.

It is an ECJ ruling backed up by - I can’t remember who.

Anyway we can revoke A50 any time!!

I am guessing that with the majority that the Conservative Party has that this will not happen.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jun-20 20:19:35

The Independent , saw it on twitter.

It is an ECJ ruling backed up by - I can’t remember who.

Anyway we can revoke A50 any time!!

MaizieD Thu 18-Jun-20 20:05:28

Wow! The U.K. can revoke Article 50 if it chooses.

Really? shock

Where have you got that from, Wwmk2

And who are you quoting?

Lucca Thu 18-Jun-20 19:03:51

Urmstongran

Gosh there are so many ‘mean girls’ on GN these days.
Personal kicks and digs -no problem. All pile in eh?

I wonder what some of you were like in the playground?

For example ?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jun-20 18:12:19

“Brexit has made this country mad. It’s lost its bearings, its sense of priorities, its morality. We give airtime to liars and fraudsters. We’ve turned against each other. Our politicians are actively deceiving us for their own ends and so many just don’t care.“

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jun-20 18:07:53

Wow! The U.K. can revoke Article 50 if it chooses.

Urmstongran Thu 18-Jun-20 17:54:08

Gosh there are so many ‘mean girls’ on GN these days.
Personal kicks and digs -no problem. All pile in eh?

I wonder what some of you were like in the playground?

Luckygirl Thu 18-Jun-20 17:49:03

Fly the flag for the UK!! - I've heard it all now!!

Aspen Thu 18-Jun-20 17:45:06

Didn't Maggie have the Flag painted on B.A.s tail wings, then they were repainted with some jazzy design. Can't remember what her reasoning was. probably the same as Boris.

MaizieD Thu 18-Jun-20 13:13:24

Reading on here you would think that Boris has personally decided to have the plane painted all over in red,white and blue and use it to go on holiday

It wouldn't surprise me at all if that's exactly what he did do with it..

Now can you explain why it's costing 10 times a normal repaint job, rosenoir?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jun-20 12:55:24

And of course while we are yabbering about that we aren’t yabbering about the really important issues, which suits Johnson.

rosenoir Thu 18-Jun-20 12:49:05

The plane was due to be painted anyway. Nobody has seen the design. The plane is used by the Royals as well.

Reading on here you would think that Boris has personally decided to have the plane painted all over in red,white and blue and use it to go on holiday.

Dinahmo Thu 18-Jun-20 11:47:05

I've just heard Mike Parry on Jeremy Vine telling us that there will be thousands of photos, taken all over the world which will appear in papers and on tv to make us all proud.

My DH's response to this was, as soon as Johnson steps off that plane they'll all be laughing.

MaizieD Thu 18-Jun-20 11:23:04

£900.000 may well be 'peanuts' but as it is, apparently, ten times the normal cost of repainting a plane one questions what make it so expensive...

I thought you would have been all for keeping people off of the dole

Oh, I see. It's an altruistic job creation scheme hmm

The weird thing is that airforce colours have been fine for PMs and the Queen for years and years. But, of course, in those days we depended on our solid reputation for good sense and pragmatism to make our way in the world. We didn't actually need to worry about the drabness of our plane compared with those of other nations parked at the airport. We had something much more substantial to base our world standing on.

Alexa Thu 18-Jun-20 11:12:59

It must be a public relations stunt. It will be to gain the sympathy and support of the sort of people who without irony display union jacks on their house and gardens. I think Mr Johnson would paint himself with a Saint George's cross if it got him political support.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:09:05

Whitewavemark2 £900,000 is peanuts compared to what Rishi Sunak has delivered in his Covid-19 rescue plan.

I am sure the workers who have been/are going to be employed in the repainting/livery design of the plane are grateful to be in employment and not facing redundancy.

I thought you would have been all for keeping people off of the dole

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jun-20 10:55:10

gg13 tell that to a person using a food bank or has just been made redundant.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Jun-20 10:40:05

A poster on the other plane paint job thread has pointed out that planes are repainted every seven years, if this is a fact then this is just another anti Boris storm in a teacup

Having landed at a military Asian Airport several years ago (long story) in the midst of an International Conference. The various Countries planes lined up were adorned with their name, flags and painted in the colours pertaining to that Country.

I really cannot see what the problem is, I am sure Kier Starmer will get to use it one day ?

Blinko Thu 18-Jun-20 10:24:39

£900K would have gone a long way to softening that blow.

It wouldn't even touch it. More like £900bn. Then you'd be talking.

Dinahmo Thu 18-Jun-20 10:21:01

Like all govt. projects, such as HS2, the costs will spiral and it will end up closer to 2 million.

Seriously though, how can it cost £900,000 just to paint the exterior of a plane?

DanniRae Thu 18-Jun-20 09:04:38

For some reason when I first read this post I thought it said "Trump" - That's about right for him I thought. Then there was mention of the Royal Family so I read it again!! I am totally shocked and can't believe this is true. Surely he can't be that out of touch with how people are feeling about the current situation and how worried people are about the future?? Madness!! angry

NotSpaghetti Thu 18-Jun-20 09:01:03

I heard on the radio this morning that it would give a "favorable impression" when he arrives in foreign countries.

If we are resorting to a paint job to do that, God help us.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jun-20 08:57:48

Apparently I was reading today that Brexiters are worrying the government, because they don’t appear to understand the hit this country is about to take after brexit.

The government is going to start advertising and preparing the British public for the shock of Brexit.

So ug better get watching and educate yourself with Johnson’s shock and awe advertising ( that’s its name)

It is coming in 4 stages beginning in July. So if all the la la land Brexiters watch carefully they will understand what devastation Brexit is going to bring to the U.K. with luck. Mind you far too late to do anything about it now.