Gransnet forums

News & politics

The sound of my childhood.

(118 Posts)
MrsEggy Thu 18-Jun-20 19:26:06

Sad to hear the news of the death of Vera Lynn. Her songs on the BBC formed a background to my childhood. What songs/music did other gransnetters grow up to?

Eloethan Thu 18-Jun-20 23:49:48

Two Way Family Favourites
Uncle Mac on Children's Family Favourites
The theme music to "Tonight"
Catch a Falling Star
Oh My Papa
Little Boxes

GagaJo Thu 18-Jun-20 23:50:16

He was, wasn't he? Very sexy. Yes! Metal Guru and Get it on. I had a TRex CD about 10 years ago and must have driven my poor neighbour to distraction by playing it loudly.

merlotgran Thu 18-Jun-20 23:50:33

Magic moments and anything by Perry Como.

Oh, memories of a silly schoolgirl joke:

'What's the Queen's favourite record?
'Magic Moments on Phillip's Long Player' grin

MissAdventure Thu 18-Jun-20 23:57:40

My dad was a very quiet, unassuming man, but he would sometimes sasha into the living room when I was glued to top of the pops, pretending to be Marc Bolan.

We'd shout "Mum! Tell him! He's spoiling it!"

Namsnanny Fri 19-Jun-20 00:53:14

merlotgran grin believe it or not I've never heard that one!

The theme tune to Doc Who. Matt Munro.

sharon103 Fri 19-Jun-20 01:09:08

Two Way Family Favourites on the radio
Sing something Simple.
I can remember sitting right next to the radio and listening to
There's a hole in My Bucket
I can't remember the title but it was something about a windmill and little mice going clip clippity clop on the stairs
Another one I think was by Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren. All I can remember is the bit that went, boom buddy boom...... goodness gracious me
Catch a Falling star. Perry Como

Happy days. smile

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jun-20 01:29:59

A mouse lived in a windmill in old Amsterdam, a windmill with mice in is hardly surprising.. smile

Evie64 Fri 19-Jun-20 02:01:29

My mum used to sing Judy Garland's "Look for the Silver Lining" My dad used to do a brilliant impression of Frankie Vaughan singing "Give me the Moonlight". Another fav of his was The Batchelors "I Believe".

Calendargirl Fri 19-Jun-20 07:45:34

Perry Como had a lovely rich, velvety voice. Also Michael Holliday singing ‘The Story Of My Life’.

pensionpat Fri 19-Jun-20 09:13:49

This thread is very timely for me. I’m sure there were more novelty songs then. And there is one buzzing in my head. All I can remember is “Open the doooor. Richard” Any ideas?

Tea and cake Fri 19-Jun-20 10:02:46

Early teens, Radio Caroline..

soldiersailor Fri 19-Jun-20 10:26:49

There was some music which I always thought was called 'Counterpoint' that was the first played around 0630 each morning when Radio 1 started for the day in 1970. I've never found it under that name, though I've searched. It brings back memories of early morning patrols in Londonderry. Not always happy ones, sadly.

Rosina Fri 19-Jun-20 10:28:02

lemongrove you must have lived in our house! I suspect most of those were on 'Family Favourites'; my Father bought a Grundig reel to reel tape recorder and recorded songs from the radio.
Does anyone sing at home now? Nobody seems to whistle - although I can't say I miss that!

Diggingdoris Fri 19-Jun-20 10:30:33

Oh what lovely memories this thread has stirred up. Thank you Mrs Eggy.
I recall a big row when money was very tight, and my father came home with a radio that had a drop-down bit at the back to play records on plus his first LP 'songs for swinging lovers' Frank Sinatra. As that was the only record for ages it was played over and over. I know every word of every song even now 50+ years later. In fact I've downloaded that album to my iPod as I still love hearing it and I remember my dad's lovely singing voice.

Nortsat Fri 19-Jun-20 10:36:22

Thank you Grannylyn for solving a puzzle that must be 60 years old ( ‘Mares eat oats ... ). I had to sing it to myself to check it worked.
How funny. ?

Funnygran Fri 19-Jun-20 10:59:07

Only one radio in the house, me upstairs getting ready for Brownies. My mum shouted to me that my favourite song was playing. It was ‘itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini’. The odd time I hear it now takes me straight back to that day over 60 years ago. Can’t remember who sang it though.

Foxyferret Fri 19-Jun-20 11:03:47

PensionPat. Lots of versions of open the door Richard on YouTube.

mumagain Fri 19-Jun-20 11:04:13

MrsEggy

Sad to hear the news of the death of Vera Lynn. Her songs on the BBC formed a background to my childhood. What songs/music did other gransnetters grow up to?

Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy , a kid’ll eat ivy too wouldn’t you ?

Kate1949 Fri 19-Jun-20 11:07:58

I loved Children's Favourites. I remember The Runaway Train, Casey Jones, Sparky. Lots more. Lovely memories.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 19-Jun-20 11:22:09

Well, you've all brought memories flooding back, probably Petula Clarke was my favourite when i was younger. When I was in my teens it was Connie Francis and Pat Boone. Dad would be singing 'Guide me Oh though great Jehovah' wandering round the house. After he died, I cried whenever it was sung in church!

Petalpop Fri 19-Jun-20 11:25:50

My memory is of my mother who was Irish singing When Irish Eyes are Shining. Plus she would sing Danny Boy which I loved so much I called my DS Daniel.

Marieeliz Fri 19-Jun-20 11:45:45

Family favourites, my brother was in the Navy in 60s and thi were away for a couple of years at a time then so if was our connection. You are my sunshine was a favourite when I was little.

Aepgirl Fri 19-Jun-20 11:46:35

There was always music in our home when I was a child. My mother played the piano, and my dad was a great whistler. No special favourites, but always singing - wonderful.

Kate1949 Fri 19-Jun-20 11:49:48

My mum used to sing Scarlett Ribbons smile

Kate1949 Fri 19-Jun-20 11:50:07

Scarlet