Gransnet forums

News & politics

The sound of my childhood.

(118 Posts)
MrsEggy Thu 18-Jun-20 19:26:06

Sad to hear the news of the death of Vera Lynn. Her songs on the BBC formed a background to my childhood. What songs/music did other gransnetters grow up to?

Helennonotion Fri 19-Jun-20 19:39:56

3 songs that instantly transport me back to my early childhood. Penny Lane - The Beatles. Georgy Girl and Morningtown Ride both by The Seekers. No idea why they evoke such strong memories/emotions. Lovely songs though.

Lettice Fri 19-Jun-20 19:42:36

My first record purchase was Humphrey Lyttleton playing Bad Penny Blues. I liked a lot of trad jazz at the time, but it was a mixed bag really, and I recall most of the songs already mentioned. My tastes morphed into rock and heavy metal which I still enjoy, with Pink Floyd at bedtime for lullabies.

Grandma70s Fri 19-Jun-20 19:55:05

Goodness, some of you are young! Penny Lane transports you to your early childhood? I was 27 when that was written!

Helennonotion Fri 19-Jun-20 20:09:07

I was 61 last week Grandma70s grin

annodomini Fri 19-Jun-20 20:16:45

Beniamion Beniamino--

Grannynannywanny Fri 19-Jun-20 20:17:47

My earliest childhood memory was a musical one. I think I was around 4 yrs old and I loved the song There once was an ugly duckling. Was it Danny Kaye?

I used to run to the “wireless” when it came on and listen intently. The radio had a slatted grill on the front and I used to peer up through the slats and try to see inside the radio. I could see a light inside it but what I really expected to see was the duckling!

Thisismyname1953 Fri 19-Jun-20 20:18:50

I don’t know if anyone has said it but the aforementioned song is
Mares eat oats
And does eat oats
And little lambs eat ivy
A kid will eat ivy too
Wouldn’t you?
Or something like that smile

blossom14 Fri 19-Jun-20 22:00:30

You are my Sunshine
My only Sunshine
You make me Happy when sky's are grey
You'll never know dear how much I love you
Please don't take my Sunshine away

lemongrove Fri 19-Jun-20 22:29:31

Hands up how many of you had a piano in the sitting room?
It seemed that everyone used to have one, and there was always an uncle or two that could play while you all sang along.I watched a very funny Catherine Tate sketch a while ago with a Cockney family in the 1940’s all singing ‘let’s all go down the Strand, have a banana!’ ? Well, things weren’t all that different, except we weren’t a Cockney family and we sang songs like The Quartermaster’s Stores, Ivan Skavinsky Skavar and ten green bottles.

Sawsage2 Fri 19-Jun-20 22:51:21

Scarlet ribbons for your hair
Que sera sera whatever will be will be
Robin Hood, Robin Hood riding thro the glen.
Blue Danube music

Kim19 Sat 20-Jun-20 05:36:25

First record - Cara Mia by David Whitfield. I was such a square. Drove my granny daft playing it! Would hate to admit how many years it was between singing 'Mairsie' as a nonsense song and then discovering the actual words. How did that happen? Most of us were pretty articulate and yet....

Puzzler61 Sat 20-Jun-20 06:23:20

“Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of Summer” by Nat King Cole.
“George, don’t do that” Nursery school talking monologue spoken with the plummy tones of Joyce Grenfell.

My mum turned the radio up whenever “Honey”, Bobby Goldsboro played, and my dad’s favourite at the time was “Morning Town Ride” by The Seekers.

JackyB Sat 20-Jun-20 08:53:19

You are My Sunshine, as has just been mentioned. My parents used to sung in harmony, Dad played the guitar. We all sang along, using a "Black and White Minstrels' Song Book" that had been a pull out centre page from the Radio Times.
Alexander's Ragtime band
Swanee River
My darling Clementine

And that sort of thing.

Vera Lynn was an important morale booster for the troops in the war, but she really was a terrible singer. What one choirmaster I once knew would call a vacuum cleaner. Started way below the note and worked her way up to it. The 1940s equivalent of Mariah Carey's unnecessary warbling.

Diggingdoris Sat 20-Jun-20 10:30:39

Reading all these posts about children's favourites makes me think that no one makes children's songs anymore do they? The only kiddy songs now are the title music to children's TV programs.

Jabberwok Sat 20-Jun-20 11:06:03

I remember buying Diana (Paul Anka) playing and playing it !! My parents were very amused by the first line, ' I'm so young, and you're so old!!!!' The language of love from a young man to his girl??!!!!

Jabberwok Sat 20-Jun-20 11:13:47

I remember singing 'Noisy little puffer train ' 'How would you like to go up in a swing' and 'I have a little shadow '!!! These and others were before ' The foggy foggy dew '!!!!

BelindaB Mon 22-Jun-20 15:30:37

Victor Sylvester and the strong smell opf soap...mum always listened to him on a monday when she did the wash!