Gransnet forums

News & politics

Valued members of society ?

(61 Posts)
paddyanne Sat 20-Jun-20 16:42:19

Today my MIL's friend got a letter from the DWP she getting a rise in her pension..of 25 PENCE a week.Yet the "Lords" got a rise of £23 A DAY recently on top of their aready £300 +a day What is the justification for this gross inequality? Isn't it time we got decent politicians in Westminster not just politicians with their noses in the trough ?

Grany Sat 20-Jun-20 17:02:29

Polititions have had pay rises frequently. Whereas government wanted poorest children to go without summer holiday dinners says it all. We have got a bunch of criminals in government only feathering their own nests and those of their rich mates. And we are the most corrupt country have not closed, offshore tax havens, The financial sector 90% don't pay tax
hide their money are the biggest contributors to Tory government. Cameron had a chance to close down these British tax havens but didn't conservative voters who voted for BJ and gov think they are ok I suppose. .

Urmstongran Sat 20-Jun-20 17:13:19

I can’t get razzed up about this. (a) there will always be inequality and (b) after this god-awful pandemic us pensioners are a pretty protected lot with pensions going into the bank every four weeks. Many of those working have awful anxieties about their future jobs and livelihoods.

I’m counting my blessings at present. I’m very grateful not to be having those worries. Pensions rock!

Disclaimer: I’m also a WASPI wot got robbed by George Osbourne and Nick Clegg. However, life goes on. I can’t bear that grudge forever.

Jabberwok Sat 20-Jun-20 18:34:00

I think you'll find tax avoidance alive and well in all the political partys not just the Tories!
Politicians no longer have any role in voting through their own salary increases, it is up to the independent Parliamentary Standards Authority. They are also receiving increased expenses to cover the cost of staffing their Parliamentary Offices again through the PSA!

ladymuck Sat 20-Jun-20 18:36:34

I'm a pensioner and grateful for every penny I get, including housing benefit. If it wasn't for our system I and many like me would probably have starved to death long since.

Grany Sat 20-Jun-20 20:35:52

May 2016

Britain has been described as the most corrupt country in the world, according to a journalist and expert on the Italian Mafia.

Roberto Saviano, who wrote best-selling exposés Gomorrah and ZeroZeroZero, made the claim at the Hay Literary Festival.

The 36-year-old has been living under police protection for 10 years since revelations were published about members of the Camorra, a Neapolitan branch of the mafia.

Mr Saviano told the audience at Hay-on-Wye: “If I asked you what is the most corrupt place on Earth you might tell me well it’s Afghanistan, maybe Greece, Nigeria, the South of Italy and I will tell you it’s the UK.

“It’s not the bureaucracy, it’s not the police, it’s not the politics but what is corrupt is the financial capital. 90 per cent of the owners of capital in London have their headquarters offshore.

“Jersey and the Cayman’s are the access gates to criminal capital in Europe and the UK is the country that allows it.

“That is why it is important why it is so crucial for me to be here today and to talk to you because I want to tell you, this is about you, this is about your life, this is about your government.”

Prime Minister David Cameron came under pressure for the UK to reform offshore tax havens operating on British overseas territories at an anti-corruption summit And yet still nothing has been done about Offshore tax havens.

annsixty Sat 20-Jun-20 20:46:53

I know without any doubt, by the criteria currently in place I would qualify for AA, at least at the lower level and probably the higher.
I have not applied because of the current crisis and the financial situation of the country.
This makes me so cross and feeling I should revise my decision.
I feel in a quandary.

paddyanne Sat 20-Jun-20 22:46:34

Are you saying that because there has always been inequality that it fine? No wonder this world is in the mess it is ,that beggers belief .23 PENCE A WEEK extra for someone turning 80 ..and £23 A DAY for an entitled old begger who sits/ 'sleeps all day and already gets £300+ A DAY for just turning up.I'd rather not be in your type of country

trisher Sat 20-Jun-20 22:54:06

You do wonder what the world has come to when people can't be bothered to get annoyed about inequality. It's disgusting. The fact that many in the H of L don't need the money anyway makes it even worse. How about making it voluntary and seeing how many of them turn up then? The daily allowance could be donated to charity.

lemongrove Sat 20-Jun-20 23:05:38

Is this 25p weekly added to her state pension? Why is it?
I mean by that, what is the reason she now has 25p weekly added all of a sudden? Is she in Scotland, and is that linked?

lemongrove Sat 20-Jun-20 23:06:22

Comparing what other people get as a ‘raise’ isn’t relevent.

Grannynannywanny Sat 20-Jun-20 23:27:50

paddyanne It beggars belief that the House of Lords members receive over £300 a day just to turn up. No work needed. They can about turn and go home. Or they can have a heavily subsided meal washed down with a few cheap drinks and have a snooze on the premises before going home.

Back in the real work unpaid family carers receive £67 a week carers allowance while providing 24hr care for a loved one. Many do it until their own health fails and then they are thrown on the scrap heap and ignored by the government.

The government know they do it out of love and they have them over the proverbial barrel

paddyanne Sat 20-Jun-20 23:38:32

LEMONGROVE according to the letter its what shes entitled to as she reached her 80Th birthday .I'm sorry what the "lords" get as opposed to what pensioners get is highly relevant .Both are paid by the taxpayer ,yet the Lord will get his gold plated pension with huge sums added at regular intervals.isn't it £5o,ooo they mentioned recently and a woman who worked her socks off until well past retirement age while raising a family gets less than A pound every 28 days or 13pounds a YEAR ,There is something very wrong with the way WM is run ,they certainly aren't behaving like the public servants they should be .

suziewoozie Sat 20-Jun-20 23:38:52

Everyone who gets a state pension gets 25p a week rise when they get to 80. It was introduced by Heath in 1971 and never uprated

suziewoozie Sat 20-Jun-20 23:39:38

The £10 Christmas bonus was never uprated either

paddyanne Sat 20-Jun-20 23:41:37

I know such a Lordgrannynannywannny he's my friends uncle ,one of Tony Blairs boys was union now more tory than Boris .Signs in and then off ,boasts about how many cruises he and his partner take every year ,makes me physically sick to think I once had respect for him as I believed he worked FOR people not just for what he can get

Grannynannywanny Sat 20-Jun-20 23:45:48

How can anyone find it acceptable? Personally I find it nauseating

sodapop Sun 21-Jun-20 08:41:46

Time there was a cull in the House of Lords.

I think the journalist should look closer to home Grany I know someone who lives in Italy and they tell a different story.

suziewoozie Sun 21-Jun-20 08:54:51

We don’t need a cull of the House of Lords - we need a complete review of it. Do we need a second chamber? If so ( and many countries do have one because they play a vital role) how should members be selected? The present format is fundamentally undemocratic and the daily attendance allowance is not the real issue is it? It’s a useful dead cat to froth about when really it’s the fundamental nature of the institution which is completely rotten. In its current format, it does actually make positive contributions and there are a good number of hard working peers but that doesn’t make up for the fact it’s an anachronistic disgrace in a so-called democracy.

Callistemon Sun 21-Jun-20 09:42:57

DH is saving his 25p's up for something special. He may be able to buy a pint of beer at the pub when this is all over.
It's not a 'rise', as the rise in pensions is annual. It is an age allowance awarded to those aged 80 by Ted Heath in 1971.

I think we do need a 2nd Chamber as a check, but not one stuffed with old cronies of H of C politicians to skew the voting figures.

NannyJan53 Sun 21-Jun-20 09:43:32

My Mum received her extra 25p a week when she reached 80. This was 10 years ago. So it hasn't even increased in that time. I remember being flabbergasted at the time that being 80 was rewarded with such a paltry sum.

MaizieD Sun 21-Jun-20 09:43:35

The whole of Parliament is an anachronistic disgrace, really. Based on gentlemanly conduct and a code of honour which can be flouted with absolute impunity.

Callistemon Sun 21-Jun-20 09:49:19

paddyanne

Are you saying that because there has always been inequality that it fine? No wonder this world is in the mess it is ,that beggers belief .23 PENCE A WEEK extra for someone turning 80 ..and £23 A DAY for an entitled old begger who sits/ 'sleeps all day and already gets £300+ A DAY for just turning up.I'd rather not be in your type of country

You could emigrate, of course.
I think you may find that if you had chosen, for example, Australia, that you may not get any pension whatsoever as it is means tested. It would also cost you a considerable amount for healthcare. Income tax is also higher.

suziewoozie Sun 21-Jun-20 09:51:24

Call just as I posted.

suziewoozie Sun 21-Jun-20 09:53:20

Call my post to you was referring to the 25p rise