Gransnet forums

News & politics

Institutional racism in the police?

(569 Posts)
trisher Sat 27-Jun-20 09:31:51

The news about the murdered sisters in London, the police's first lack of action then the photographs taken at the scene must have shocked everyone. The dignified and measured interview their mother has given couldn't fail to impress. So is she right can these photographs be compared with those taken at lynchings in the US? And is this the real proof that there is still racism in the police?

Summerlove Sat 11-Jul-20 14:28:44

Anniebach

Why is sarcasm and put downs needed ?

Oh, lovely irony

Summerlove Sat 11-Jul-20 14:24:59

Davidhs

Elothan

That sounds exactly like “ Womansplaining to me, women can do and be anything they want it’s their choice and I fully support that. Women have to opportunity to take control of their lives and many do just that, those that don’t blame others for their misfortune.

Many women make the wrong life decisions which affect their whole lives and it’s always someone else’s fault, that’s not likely to change.

That’s the way it is ladies, you are not going to change your opinion and I’m not going to change mine.

Interesting that a woman makes one wrong choice and it affects their whole life.

Men get to make many wrong choices and still fail upwards.

How do you see that as at all equal?

suziewoozie Sat 11-Jul-20 12:52:05

Put down =stating a logical, well informed position, often backed up with good quality research.

Furret Sat 11-Jul-20 12:52:01

Sorry Annie but it really is sarcasm- honestly.

Anyway there are many women on this forum who have held down senior roles and, as such, have had to battle with a certain type of male-led culture to get where they are (were). I’m trying to explain that they have experienced prejudice from pontificating males and just won’t stand for it any more.

If it was just a case of a difference of opinion then I would whole-heartedly agree with you, but ‘by and large and in general’ (that great get-out phrase) modern men have evolved into a less discriminatory breed and to come face to face (well not literally) with such outmoded ways of thinking comes as a shock having thought the dinosaurs were extinct.

suziewoozie Sat 11-Jul-20 12:50:35

Who are you talking to annie? Do make it clear, it helps the discussion. Is it a singular ‘you’ or a plural ‘you’. It’s a posters choice whether they come on a thread or not. If they don’t like a post, they can report it csn they not? One dealing with serious issues like this was hardly going to be a vicar’s tea party #gransnetpolice.

Anniebach Sat 11-Jul-20 12:31:16

No not sarcasm , an attempt to try to get through to a few here
that their put downs cause anger and worse cause hurt, also
spoil any hope of a discussion with those with different opinions .

Galaxy Sat 11-Jul-20 12:12:08

I think it's not great to blame that on a particular poster.

Furret Sat 11-Jul-20 12:09:15

Anniebach

A man has given his opinions, shock horror , bring back hanging

But isn’t this sarcasm?

Anniebach Sat 11-Jul-20 11:57:28

Why is sarcasm and put downs needed ?

Anniebach Sat 11-Jul-20 11:56:39

Galaxy you still post on this thread . There are posters who
use to post on Politics threads but sadly no longer.

Galaxy Sat 11-Jul-20 11:53:30

That's not what would put me off this thread.

Anniebach Sat 11-Jul-20 11:51:39

Why can’t you disagree with some posters without sarcasm, you are keeping posters away from this thread ,

suziewoozie Sat 11-Jul-20 11:45:53

No annie a man has posted prejudiced discriminatory ill informed comments about women and has been patronising and has mansplained. He also made a personal attacks on me - what’s not to like?

maddy damn, doesn’t everyone? ( iron their dh’s underpants) . I also of course pick them up from wherever he has discarded them.

Furret Sat 11-Jul-20 11:40:30

Anniebach

Let’s hope he, at least, reflects on his assumptions and words future posts accordingly.

Furret Sat 11-Jul-20 11:38:32

Anniebach

Let’s hope he at least Annie goes away and reflects on his assumptions and words about his future posts accordingly.

Galaxy Sat 11-Jul-20 11:27:44

What fresh horror is this?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 11-Jul-20 11:20:22

maddyone

suzie
Off thread I know, but do you really iron underpants?

Only boxer shorts

maddyone Sat 11-Jul-20 10:57:25

suzie
Off thread I know, but do you really iron underpants?

Anniebach Sat 11-Jul-20 10:18:23

Galaxy Sat 11-Jul-20 09:57:53

I dont know suzie to be honest, I am not sure what it achieves. I didnt ignore it, the exact opposite in fact, but we arent going to change his view on feminism are we, I think there might be more important fights. I might be a bit tired of trying to convince people on the internet that women are human beings.

suziewoozie Sat 11-Jul-20 09:54:11

But it wasn’t just that * Maizie* was it? He thought he could, from his lofty make perch, call me naive when he hadn’t even bothered to ( or was incapable of) reading my post correctly. Bloody cheek.

suziewoozie Sat 11-Jul-20 09:51:17

Why do you want to move away from sexism Galaxy ? If a thread moves into that, are we supposed to ignore it and allow such posts to go unchallenged? ( rhetorical questions)

MaizieD Sat 11-Jul-20 09:50:34

Well, that was an interesting spat!

And all because David failed to understand the significance of the research posted (for the umpteenth time grin ) by Eloethan.

Mansplaining about selecting the best candidate at interview completely missed the point that the people with non British names but exactly the same qualifications and experience, didn't even get an interview. hmm

suziewoozie Sat 11-Jul-20 09:49:18

Chewbacca

Well actually, if we're being completely fair and non biased to everyone, irrespective of race or gender, it wasn't really necessary to ask David whether he was a man, was it? His opinions and experiences are as valid, even if you disagree with them, no matter what his gender is, wouldn't you say?

David’s opinions imo are completely predicated upon his predefined attitudes towards and beliefs about women ( as we’ve now seen even more clearly) Such opinions are not valid - which s not saying he can’t express them. Tbh I don’t understand the concept of a ‘valid’ opinion. But then,I’m only a woman, so what do I know?

Galaxy Sat 11-Jul-20 09:47:17

But iam64 is right this is moving away from institutional racism. We need to ignore. I am useless at that grin