Gransnet forums

News & politics

Speaking up for our Police

(89 Posts)
Sparkling Sun 28-Jun-20 10:26:28

Our Police force do their best for the public and yet they are constantly being under attack by a minority who criticise their every move. Huge groups are taking no notice of distancing and having parties, then the police have to try to disperse them, they come under attack and are in return for trying to keep order, badly beaten up and many hospitalised. I wonder if people just want mob rule sometimes. Can anyone enlighten me how the beaches of say Bournemouth could hVe been cleared or the disgrace at Liverpool when the Fire Brigade were called, the extra work on already stretched hospital staff. Who would be in the police? Something has to be done.

Sparklefizz Sun 28-Jun-20 10:29:48

Completely agree.

merlotgran Sun 28-Jun-20 10:31:14

I agree, Sparkling. Watching some of the scenes during riots and overcrowded beaches you know that other countries wouldn't tolerate it.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 28-Jun-20 10:32:51

I have read somewhere this week that at least 100 Police Officers have been injured in the last 10 days.

When others run away from danger their job is to run towards it.

A big thank you to Police Officers from me ????

Anniebach Sun 28-Jun-20 10:34:50

Agree Sparkling

The police are not viewed as human beings by some.

lemongrove Sun 28-Jun-20 10:36:51

I agree ( very much so) and although it doesn’t mean they are beyond reproach, on balance I think we have a police force to be proud of. There is so little respect for authority now that their work is doubly difficult.

TwoWolves Sun 28-Jun-20 10:39:45

Yes, I agree, too.

Chewbacca Sun 28-Jun-20 10:39:48

Completely agree. Our police officers face ever more violent challenges every day and put their own personal safety on the line with precious little to protect them.

They are expected to be law enforcers, social workers and and community cohesion workers. There are, as in any other section of society, a few "bad apples", but the vast majority of our police officers are decent, hardworking and do an unenviable job that most of us wouldn't be able to stomach.

EllanVannin Sun 28-Jun-20 10:41:36

And what happens if the police come down with a heavy-handed approach ?
Not that I could blame them in the least because I'd be brassed off by the behaviours of thugs and those who commit wanton destruction.

tickingbird Sun 28-Jun-20 10:45:40

Totally agree. Damned if they do, damned if they don’t. They have my support but I don’t believe in top officers being fast tracked to the top with their university education. I’d prefer the old style system of working their way up from the bottom. Senior officers need to know the streets.

dontmindstayinghome Sun 28-Jun-20 10:48:23

We are very fortunate that in this country we have an extremely professional, well trained and (mostly) caring police force.

Unfortunately they have been under resourced for too long and this is where the system begins to fail. Often there are simply not enough officers available to deal with incidents as they are busy dealing with many things that are not actually their remit (minor traffic collisions, drunk people who are 'lost' or have have hurt themselves, people who have locked themselves out of their homes are just a few examples).

Yes there are some bad apples - as there are in all large organisations but they are usually weeded out quite quickly.

Overall I truly believe that here in the UK we have a police force to be proud of. I shudder at the thought of having a police force like the USA.

EllanVannin Sun 28-Jun-20 10:49:28

Their hands are tied and it shouldn't be that way.
Interference by certain groups has led to the police being powerless to do their job. Kid glove treatment doesn't work.

Even children have no fear of the law. There's no respect and this is how the next generation are being brought up !

Smileless2012 Sun 28-Jun-20 10:49:32

An excellent thread Sparkling, too often our police are the unsung heroes.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 28-Jun-20 10:51:33

tickingbird

Totally agree. Damned if they do, damned if they don’t. They have my support but I don’t believe in top officers being fast tracked to the top with their university education. I’d prefer the old style system of working their way up from the bottom. Senior officers need to know the streets.

Totally agree, whilst they need to know and understand the letter of the law they also need to know their patch and those living in and around it, gain the publics trust which is very hard to do.

Jabberwok Sun 28-Jun-20 11:03:58

This is one of the few countries in the world where people generally have no need to be afraid of a Policeman or for that matter a Soldier. Unfortunately these days the Police are acutely aware that one word or gesture out of place, will lead to suspension, inquiry, with possible/probable loss of job and pension! This undermines the way the police operate, and the respect they are held in. The mob know that the officers are virtually powerless to keep control without risking disciplinary action, so mob rules!

EllanVannin Sun 28-Jun-20 11:04:14

Is it any wonder that some of them go " the wrong way " when they've totally given up on the type of policing that's expected of them towards the really bad villains of society ?

Toadinthehole Sun 28-Jun-20 11:06:21

I agree too. Fed up with constant battering of the very people who try to help us, no matter what colour we are!

Galaxy Sun 28-Jun-20 11:06:25

Justifying the bad behaviour of some police is the exact opposite of supporting the police.

EllanVannin Sun 28-Jun-20 11:06:50

Now be careful, don't hurt or upset him he's only robbing houses that people have worked and saved hard for.

Jane10 Sun 28-Jun-20 11:21:26

Totally agree. I was horrified to see a video posted during the riots if men goading a poor policeman in the hope of being able to film him retaliating. That would certainly be posted as an example of police brutality.
What a thankless job. Well I'm thanking them!

Callistemon Sun 28-Jun-20 11:24:57

The police are not being adequately funded and are working under stress simply because there are not enough of them out on the streets of Britain.

Yes, there are some rogue police officers but generally speaking they are trying to do their best for us all under increasingly difficult circumstances.

I think Police and Crime Commissioners are a complete waste of money and the millions spent on them and their staff and offices should be put into recruiting more officers.

Furret Sun 28-Jun-20 11:32:55

Case near us very recently where a father and 13 years old son, doing a charity cycle along a towpath were dragged from their bikes, threatened with tasers and the father handcuffed.

No explanation. The young lad suffered cuts to his face when he tried to run into the bushes to escape what he initially thought was a mugger.

Not all saints.

Callistemon Sun 28-Jun-20 11:36:02

I think we've established that though, Furret

I hadn't heard of that case but presumably there will be an investigation.

trisher Sun 28-Jun-20 11:38:30

tickingbird fast tracking is yesterday's policing. All police officers now complete a university degree as part oftheir training. If they can't do it they have to leave or become community officers who don't have the same powers.
Callistemon Our Police and Crime commisioner Vera Baird has been responsible for considerable changes in the way rape victims and domestic abuse victims are treated by the law. She is now the Victims Commissioner. Her work is incredible and valuable en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vera_Baird

lemongrove Sun 28-Jun-20 11:40:59

Who said they were all ‘saints’ Furret ( nobody) just as not all NHS workers or teachers are ‘saints’ most of these public servants do their jobs well.
Who said they are justifying bad behaviour by the policeGalaxy ?
You have to take all large institutions on balance, and on balance our police force here mostly do a great job.