Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson and a new deal

(172 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 29-Jun-20 12:38:58

If as has been hinted, by Cummings and a Johnson, that they are intending to launch a FDR type of economic new deal, I for one would be very open to the idea if the recovery and it’s policies were directed at the hardest hit, just as Roosevelt did in the 30s.

It means if they are indeed going to follow the plan it will mean a complete reversal of Tory economics since the Thatcher years.

It means that will recognise the importance of government spending as a driver to boost consumer demand.

It means that there will be government spending on large scale infrastructure to kick start a failing economy.

It means the implication of Keynesian Economic Policies - something some of us have been banging on about for years.

It means that it will concentrate on creating jobs, and those sectors hit the hardest.

I do hope that they are up to it as they don’t fill me with confidence at the moment.

I’m not sure how they will sell it to the right wing of the party, or indeed those people like we have on here who have for years rejected the notion, as “spending money we don’t have”
Although I am sure they will find a reason why suddenly Keynesian is the thing.

We will wait and watch.

GGumteenth Wed 01-Jul-20 09:30:54

As I understand it Furret, it's just the a reiteration of the budget. That wasn't even enough then to live up to lying toad Johnson's false promises.

lemongrove Wed 01-Jul-20 09:42:45

growstuff

Other posters on this thread are just beneath contempt.

!!

Jabberwok Wed 01-Jul-20 10:49:37

Not much you can say in answer to that Lemon!!! Perhaps best to leave the far left to their intolerant selves and find somewhere else to chat in a more user friendly environment!?

growstuff Wed 01-Jul-20 10:52:20

Jabberwok

Not much you can say in answer to that Lemon!!! Perhaps best to leave the far left to their intolerant selves and find somewhere else to chat in a more user friendly environment!?

I've heard that a site called "Parler" might suit you.

Jabberwok Wed 01-Jul-20 11:28:06

?????!!

Lucca Wed 01-Jul-20 12:47:58

growstuff

Jabberwok

I've heard that a site called "Parler" might suit you.

Was just about to suggest that.....

Grandad1943 Thu 02-Jul-20 08:19:53

With the number of redundancies now being announced in the UK and throughout the world all governments, if they wish to survive, will have to bring forward large-scale measures to boost economies.

Unemployment, if it becomes large enough, can "feed on itself" and in that create further unemployment to the detriment of ALL. Certainly, Britain is now at a crucial stage in this crisis both in terms of the health situation and the economic situation.

If Johnson brings forward stimulus measures on terms of those brought forward in Britain at the conclusion of the second world war then the United Kingdom may well have a good future in the coming years.

I personally do not care if such measures come from the left in politics or the right, as long as those measures come into being. That is thinking of those with families and the young people of Great Britain and not playing politics for the sake of maintaining a one-party political stance.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 02-Jul-20 08:49:25

grandad I agree.

However, given that many Tories are pathologically against Keynesianism, I frankly don’t hold out much hope.

The much lauded “new deal” amounted to nothing. One can only hope that the announcement by Sunak will bring more optimism.

GGumteenth Thu 02-Jul-20 09:05:53

I am somewhat with your train of thought Whitewave but, given that the current leader of the Tories is a pathological liar it is always going to be difficult to know just what they are doing.

Their "new" spending is very little and often has been already committed and nothing like what Churchill was prepared to spend to win the war or Roosevelt to win against depression.

Without that sort of thinking - and will we really get it from the Tories? - I see very difficult days ahead.

All the nonsense about people being "far-left" on here is just a cover-up for the selfishness and lack of thinking from those who just want things to be comfortable for themselves. These people are nativists and bullies in the most part and I have little sympathy for them but a great deal for those who will be harmed by their actions.

Iam64 Thu 02-Jul-20 09:07:42

I agree, it doesn't matter which party does it but we need our economy boosted and health services supported.

My fear is that our current government will continue its smoke and mirrors approach. I listened to all of Johnsons speech on Tuesday and felt a degree of hope. Then the analysis came which confirmed how little in real terms is being committed. Alongside that, the Demonic suggestion that our planning laws need to go. We may have too much bureaucracy but we don't want people throwing up a wooden shed in their back garden in London for example, so it can be rented out to people because there's no social housing.

Grandad1943 Thu 02-Jul-20 09:13:35

Whitewavemark2

grandad I agree.

However, given that many Tories are pathologically against Keynesianism, I frankly don’t hold out much hope.

The much lauded “new deal” amounted to nothing. One can only hope that the announcement by Sunak will bring more optimism.

It would be a great surprise if this Johnson administration did bring forward an economic stimulus of the size that is required. However, the Churchill administration of 1950-1955 did continue the large scale spending plans of the predecessor Atlee government until midterm, so you never know?

That stated Whitewavemark2, I live in no great hopes, but, let's wait and see.

GGumteenth Thu 02-Jul-20 09:33:06

My fear is that our current government will continue its smoke and mirrors approach.

I'm afraid it's the nature of the beast. That is not to say the Tories couldn't do it but I feel it's very unlikely under Johnson and Cummings. It seems they are programmed to what they think is "being clever". People do wake up to these things though. Let's just hope it's before they destroy too much and too many people.

MaizieD Thu 02-Jul-20 09:38:49

The BBC fact checked the 'new' spending claims made in Johnson's speech.

Most of it is money already announced.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/53236921

winterwhite Thu 02-Jul-20 09:47:08

I think the 'new deal' boils down to the simple but worrying fact that Boris Johnson is now bored with the virus and wants to talk about something else. 'Build, build, build' is just the kind of slogan he likes - 'Oh, look at me, oh look at me wearing a hard hat and driving a bulldozer'.
And to the even more worrying fact that no one (apparently) dared tell him that £5bn would fool very few people. And that even in these days of true equality we can't all be bricklayers.

winterwhite Thu 02-Jul-20 09:52:01

I am no economist but I think this argument runs deep and departs far from the OP.
I thought that those of us who benefited from 'free', dentistry, medical prescriptions, higher education, better local amenities paid a higher proportion of our income in taxes? We also paid much more for 'consumer durables' (remember 'saving up' for a dishwasher or a freezer?) but less for food.

Grandad1943 Thu 02-Jul-20 10:12:13

winterwhite, I feel that you have "hit the nail on the head" in your post @09:52 today.

For many years now Governments have carried the message that tax is "a bad thing". However, tax, when spent wisely on infrastructure projects, can be to the benefit of all in any society.

The above produces employment and in that those people spend and an overall lift in the economy is gained for both private commercial enterprise and the socially owned side of the economy.

The above is a message that has been very much played down and forgotten in Britain for many decades.

GGumteenth Thu 02-Jul-20 10:16:20

www.facebook.com/BBCOne/videos/2684761831795745

GGumteenth Thu 02-Jul-20 10:41:07

The above is from Years and Years. Very prescient.

MaizieD Thu 02-Jul-20 10:55:34

I thought that those of us who benefited from 'free', dentistry, medical prescriptions, higher education, better local amenities paid a higher proportion of our income in taxes?

As taxation doesn't fund state spending that is really irrelevant, winterwhite. We got it free because the government subscribed to the idea that it was a Good Thing to keep its citizens healthy and well educated.

We also paid much more for 'consumer durables' (remember 'saving up' for a dishwasher or a freezer?) but less for food.

And, if we're talking of the 70s just about the only way you could buy on 'credit' was through HP, which an awful lot of people didn't like at all. I recall the first credit cards were introduced in the early 70s, take up slow and subject to checks. So really, one had very little option but to save up for major purchases. The tax cuts Thatcher made were mostly in favour of the rich. By the time you got down to lower incomes a cut of, say, 2% of tax didn't amount to anything when it was 2% of not very much. So that didn't help.

GGumteenth Thu 02-Jul-20 13:45:52

This government seem to feel that they can only bring about what they want by destroying the system that runs it (government) and remaking it. Johnson seems to be prepared to tear it limb from limb but how, if this is happening, can there be a launch of radical new policy?

They have my sympathy to some extent. Anything as large as government can get stuck in its ways and not move forward. Part of the idea is to set up something like Tony Blair's delivery unit. It is thought that Covid may give this a better chance of success. We tend to get great growth from a crisis as we do during and after wars and this crisis has certainly shown flaws in the current system. A Covid enquiry will not look good and the government will want to show they have seen it, and have dealt with or are dealing with the problem.

Johnson's personal experience must influence the wish to do better, improve the system, etc., but I cannot get away from wondering if he has enough substance to do it. They will have learned a great deal but I just remember that the scorpion said the fox "it is my nature" as that very nature killed them both.

varian Fri 03-Jul-20 19:25:41

BJ has absolutely no substance GG, no convictions, no beliefs, only an excess of vanity to the point of narcicism .