Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anyone live in Leicester? The lockdown there has been extended.

(387 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 29-Jun-20 21:37:08

Schools and non-essential shops affected.
?

vegansrock Tue 30-Jun-20 06:29:14

In one report I read schools were the centre of the outbreak , some schools have been closed since beginning of June.

kittylester Tue 30-Jun-20 07:04:23

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8236303/Ethnic-minority-areas-make-three-quarters-Englands-coronavirus-hotspots.html

This is an interesting article.

kittylester Tue 30-Jun-20 07:12:04

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/we-need-to-solve-ethnic-puzzle-of-covid-19-gdxw93q0j

In the Times too for those of you who dont like the Mail.

A local doctor also cited the familial living arrangements and the prevalence of diabetes.

Furret Tue 30-Jun-20 07:27:48

Matt Hancock

“We’ve decided that from tomorrow [Tuesday], non-essential retail will have to close and, as children have been particularly impacted by this outbreak schools will also need to close from Thursday, staying open for vulnerable children and children of critical workers as they did throughout.

Looks like the reopening of schools has played a big part in this too.

Furret Tue 30-Jun-20 07:35:04

The difference between the DM and the Times is not political, (they are both ardently right wing) is is reading age.

kittylester Tue 30-Jun-20 07:41:01

Did you read the articles furret or just have a go?

Grandad1943 Tue 30-Jun-20 07:41:36

From what little time I have had to read up on this new lockdown it would seem to be unenforceable due to the fact that it is only recommendations to the inhabitants of Leicester.

To state that a person(s) should "stay home as much as possible" leaves many questions unanswered. By example, what does person do if he/she lives in Leicester but works in Birmingham or Coventry?

The same situation will be present for anyone who has to travel into Leicester from outside towns and cities as part of their employment role. I am especially thinking of home care workers and health visitors in that respect?

mcem Tue 30-Jun-20 07:56:58

I simply do not believe that this will be the only case and we'll see several more very soon.
The mayor saying that increased testing inevitably reveals more cases is pure Trump BUT turn that round slightly.
Increase testing plus real transparency would mean heightened awareness!
The more we know, the better we can deal with the problems. However, head-in-the-sand politics like Trump's and Johnson's preclude that open approach.

Furret Tue 30-Jun-20 07:58:17

I read the DM one but the Times is subscription only. Why would you think otherwise? My comment wasn’t on the articles because I can’t compare them if I can only read one. Thus I was pointing out that the contents are likely to come from the same political stance, but aimed at two different audiences.

Why should you think that was having ‘a go’?

GagaJo Tue 30-Jun-20 08:29:54

Callistemon, no, people aren't checked when returning to the UK. They're advised to register where they're isolating on the You Gov website. But there is no check that they've done it at any point of entry to the UK.

Iam64 Tue 30-Jun-20 09:10:05

I don't intend to minimise the worries here, or to get into a simple blame game. I recognise the challenges facing any government in managing this but its hard not to link the awful Cummings escapade with the "follow your instincts" approach so many in the general public now seem to follow

The advice from government was clear initially, stay home, stay safe -post Cummings radio phone ins reflected the public view that it's one law for them and another for the rest of us.

Lack of confidence in government is never a good thing and its a disaster during this pandemic. We need clear, concise information and to have that followed by members of our government and their senior advisors.

Jane10 Tue 30-Jun-20 09:32:15

I agree Iam64- the Cummings affair blew a hole in the government's credibility. I doubt they realise how insidious the effect has been of not sacking him at once.

growstuff Tue 30-Jun-20 09:32:41

I'm still trying to get my head round this gem from Matt Hancock on BBC Breakfast:

"We have sent in a lot of extra testing into Leicester over the last 10 days or so and one of the things we have found is that there are under-18s who have tested positive and therefore, because children can transmit the disease - even though they are highly unlikely to get ill from the disease - we think the safest thing to do is close the schools.
The reason I said what I did last night about Leicester is that it is an unusually high incidence in children in Leicester.

Right across the country - including in Leicester - it is safe for your child to go to school and in the rest of the country, where the number of cases is so much lower, then it is safe for the community.
That is why we have taken the decisions that we have on schools - it’s to protect against the transmission in Leicester."

So, if it's safe for your child to go to school - even in Leicester - why have schools been shut to protect against transmission?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 30-Jun-20 09:39:40

Maybe it is related to more inter-generational households in Leicester?

One of the Local Councillors has been on TV saying that he thought it was to do with the language barrier in certain areas were the virus is more prevalent (he was an Asian so I assume he knew what he was saying)

Grandad1943 Tue 30-Jun-20 09:40:57

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Jabberwok Tue 30-Jun-20 09:41:24

Cummings broke lockdown so that means I can?!!! FGS so did S.Kinnock, I.Blackford, not to mention a few more + dear old Barry Gardiner who went on a protest march! Why aren't these other people being used as an example for bad behaviour? or, provided you are left wing, apart from Cummings, the others don't count or matter?! Other than Barry, none of the above threatened one other person, whereas people recklessly breaking lockdown most certainly do! But, Cummings did, (forget the others) without compromising anyone, (penalty? a fine if appropriate, not losing your job,) which means I can, and deliberately potentially spread the virus, under the cover of ' Cummings did it'! I know we've turned into a pathetic nanny nation that can't think for themselves and always have to find someone to blame, but even bearing that in mind, this attitude in this instance is plain ridiculous, any excuse is better than none!!

growstuff Tue 30-Jun-20 09:41:44

kittylester

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/we-need-to-solve-ethnic-puzzle-of-covid-19-gdxw93q0j

In the Times too for those of you who dont like the Mail.

A local doctor also cited the familial living arrangements and the prevalence of diabetes.

Diabetes is a serious risk factor for people becoming seriously ill, probably because we now know that Covid-19 affects the vascular system, which is already damaged in diabetics.

However, it doesn't mean that diabetics are more likely to be infected in the first place. It just means they're more likely to end up in hospital.

A high prevalence of diabetics will affect death rates, but not infection rates.

growstuff Tue 30-Jun-20 09:43:47

Jabberwok

Cummings broke lockdown so that means I can?!!! FGS so did S.Kinnock, I.Blackford, not to mention a few more + dear old Barry Gardiner who went on a protest march! Why aren't these other people being used as an example for bad behaviour? or, provided you are left wing, apart from Cummings, the others don't count or matter?! Other than Barry, none of the above threatened one other person, whereas people recklessly breaking lockdown most certainly do! But, Cummings did, (forget the others) without compromising anyone, (penalty? a fine if appropriate, not losing your job,) which means I can, and deliberately potentially spread the virus, under the cover of ' Cummings did it'! I know we've turned into a pathetic nanny nation that can't think for themselves and always have to find someone to blame, but even bearing that in mind, this attitude in this instance is plain ridiculous, any excuse is better than none!!

Possibly because Kinnock, Blackford and Gardiner didn't have a major hand in drawing up the "rules".

What Cummings did was totally inexcusable and the attempted cover up by his wife was despicable.

NotSpaghetti Tue 30-Jun-20 09:44:15

Because growstuff, the government likes to confuse us all by not making any sense...
Presumably they don't want to give clear messages in case we follow them.

Yours, angry and frustrated
?

Laughterlines Tue 30-Jun-20 09:45:17

Just asking. For residents whose first language is not English - have government recommendations been translated and published so everybody knows current rules etc.

growstuff Tue 30-Jun-20 09:49:34

Grandad1943

I believe I have read that all schools in Leicester are now closed. That will be much to the delight of the teaching profession in that city no doubt, as they can go back to sitting on their backsides again.

That is if they have ever got off of them in the last four months.

See you later. ???

Ah! You mean they can go back to preparing and teaching lessons online. You really do have a problem with teachers, don't you, Grandad? Was your own education particularly traumatic or something?

BTW Did you know that there are just less than 600,000 members of the main teaching unions? In addition, there are 100s of thousands of non-teaching staff working in schools in Unison, GMB and Unite? That means that over 10% of union members in the country work in schools. If you really want to support the union movement, it's maybe not such a good idea to keep teacher bashing (especially as you haven't a clue what you're talking about).

Time to pop off to the office, perhaps?

Jane10 Tue 30-Jun-20 09:49:51

Jabberwok- I wasn't looking for an excuse.
Like most I'd adhered to the guidelines and respected what Chris Whitty et al were telling us to do. I was genuinely gobsmacked that Cummings wasn't sacked. It made me think differently about the government which, up till then, I'd felt OK about. Cummings is a far far more significant figure than those others you mentioned.
The psychological effect of the Cummings affair resounded in households throughout the country whether Tories like it or not.

NotSpaghetti Tue 30-Jun-20 09:52:02

I think, Grandad1943 that's a slight on all those teachers who have been working twice as hard to teach online, provide worksheets, phone families, be supportive and keep schools running for keywokers and others.

My husband and daughter-in-law have both been teaching online so I can see with my own eyes what this is like. It is exhausting and draining.

I think it's in poor taste to tar everyone with the same brush.

sodapop Tue 30-Jun-20 09:53:40

Don't rise to it growstuff he is just looking for a reaction.

GagaJo Tue 30-Jun-20 09:54:40

Grandad1943

I believe I have read that all schools in Leicester are now closed. That will be much to the delight of the teaching profession in that city no doubt, as they can go back to sitting on their backsides again.

That is if they have ever got off of them in the last four months.

See you later. ???

Deeply unpleasant. At some point GD1943, I hope someone attacks your integrity and work ethic in the way you malign teachers.

I'm very glad I don't teach your grandchildren, given the arrogant, aggressive and massively over entitled attitude you no doubt pass down to them. Perhaps you should shell-out for private education, given the total lack of faith you have in state educators.