Gransnet forums

News & politics

Pulling back from BLM

(59 Posts)
tickingbird Wed 01-Jul-20 09:23:28

I’ve read today that some football commentators, including a black ex player, are distancing themselves from BLM due to the UK branch of BLM issuing a series of tweets criticising Israel and calling for the defunding of our police. Apparently a statement may be forthcoming from various Premier League captains and the FA.

I, personally, have always believed there were political agitators jumping on this movement so maybe that’s the case.

Oopsminty Wed 01-Jul-20 15:47:57

GagaJo

Another extreme right-wing thread with the same old characters. How refreshing.

Gaga

Take a minute to read their website

There is nothing extreme right about these messages on this thread. The only extreme anything is the left

blacklivesmatter.com/

Don't you be disrespecting this group by insisting it's a different thing, because it's not.

Can't believe it's taken footballers to do a spot of research

Our politicians and journalists should have been on this

Black Lives Matter is a central target of disinformation and you are a key line of defense. Report suspicious sites, stories, ads, social accounts, and posts about BLM.

Keir Starmer himself is not happy now he's learned what they're about

growstuff Wed 01-Jul-20 15:47:58

janeainsworth

Thanks Growstuff. That sounds rather devious, doesn't it.

It certainly is and has done the whole movement a lot of damage. People will now associate more equality with extremist views.

growstuff Wed 01-Jul-20 15:57:22

The original Black Lives Matter Global Network is different from the Black Lives Matter Foundation, to which I believe BLM UK is affiliated. The latter is a left-wing organisation calling for extreme measures.

The original movement would do well to disassociate itself from the upstarts and re-establish ownership of the initiative. I hope it does.

AGAA4 Wed 01-Jul-20 16:04:39

Thanks Oopsminty. I was concerned when I saw Keir Starmer take the knee. I am glad he was unaware at the time.

25Avalon Wed 01-Jul-20 16:17:30

So people were conned?

geekesse Thu 02-Jul-20 00:01:07

BLM originated, as one might expect, in the US. The way policing in the US is funded is quite different from the way it works in the UK. The calls to defund police make sense in a US context, where budgets are divided up from one pot, so defunding police frees up money to be used for social projects. It doesn’t make sense in this country, where policing and social services come from different budget streams, and those BLM people calling for defunding police in the UK seem to be unaware of the distinction.

Oopsminty Thu 02-Jul-20 00:08:52

25Avalon

So people were conned?

I'd not say they were conned, 25Avalon

Just uninformed. Some American friends of mine have been stunned at seeing footballers/police/politicians etc 'taking the knee'.

We were rightly horrified by George Floyd's, ( and others) deaths by the hand of the police.

But BLM has been running for 7 years now and has a full website that people can read for themselves.

It appears that people just thought they were against police brutality, (which I agree with) but as geekesse has pointed out, we are not USA and the issues faced there are different.

25Avalon Thu 02-Jul-20 10:18:59

I was responding to growstuff’s posting in which she said “quite a few people were conned”.

janeainsworth Thu 02-Jul-20 10:23:02

geekesse we stayed in a B&B in rural Michigan a few years ago & the owners were very keen to talk to us. (We often found that Democrat voters seemed to see us as a safe haven to rant to.)
They told us about the system of funding public services & how the allocation of funds is made.
They were incensed because their fellow citizens had just voted to reduce the education budget for schools.
So yes a very different system.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-Jul-20 10:24:13

The BBC has banned any of its presenters from wearing a BLM badge.

I was called out on GN for saying that BLM had a Marxist extreme left agenda............

Grandad1943 Fri 10-Jul-20 07:28:14

I believe a thread in which a number of forum members ( including myself) pointed out the rediculas political ambitions of Black Lives Matter (BLM) was deleted when others jumped on those stating what has now turned out to be the truth.

Many of the celebrities that were so quick to jump on the BLM bandwagon are now distancing themselves from this "organisation", and even Kier Starmer now has gone very quiet in regard to his at one time very vocal support.

We live in a democracy where if an issue has strong enough support then that matter can be raised through existing MPs, freshly elected MPs who gain their sears by supporting a cause, or even the formation of a new party in support of a cause or sector of our society.

Those who have grievances should consider action by way of the above.

Galaxy Fri 10-Jul-20 07:59:41

I know you keep saying that but change has not historically happened for minorities in that way. Changes for women and gay rights came about from protest and legislation, it's the protest that leads to a change in the legislation. There used to be a law quite recently stating rape within marriage was legal , the law is often not in support of oppressed groups.

ladymuck Fri 10-Jul-20 08:19:04

All sporting organisations should distance themselves from any political movements.
This whole thing appears to be having the opposite effect from what was intended, it seems to be causing even more hostility towards non-whites. I can understand why, but know better than to say so.

BlueBelle Fri 10-Jul-20 08:24:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Galaxy Fri 10-Jul-20 08:25:00

Posting doesnt really work like that ladymuck. You have to say the words you want to say or it makes conversation pointless.

BlueBelle Fri 10-Jul-20 08:25:32

Whoops posted in wrong thread sorry folks I ll get it deleted if I can

lemongrove Fri 10-Jul-20 08:29:04

BlueBelle ?

lemongrove Fri 10-Jul-20 08:33:50

Galaxy yes, sometimes protesting can make a difference, if not to laws ( though sometimes it does) but to perceptions.
I think it’s needed in the US.
Here, though it could make people more aware of the everyday problems faced by black or ethnic communities,
We already have laws in place to protect people from hate/race crimes and equality laws.The US is very much behind the UK in many States.

Galaxy Fri 10-Jul-20 08:43:01

Why would you not want to be aware of the problems faced by BAME people.

lemongrove Fri 10-Jul-20 08:45:09

??

Grandad1943 Fri 10-Jul-20 09:04:37

Galaxy, in regard to your post @07:59 today, over one hundred years ago the trade unions realised that not all the concerns and ambitions of working people could be addressed, no matter how much influence those trade unions achieved, by way of those workplaces.

Therefore to adress such matters as health, housing and education the trade union movement created the Labour Party which in 1945-1950 brought into being the NHS and the largest council house building program Briain has ever wittnessed to site just two of that governments achievements.

The above conclusively demonstrates, I feel, that if any grouping is going to organise then that action has to be carried out in a manner that really can make a difference.

In the meantime, as has been once again pointed out in this thread, Britain has some of the most powerful equalities legislation of any country worldwide. However, organisations such as BLM seem not to wish to use that legislation to raise whatever grievances they have through the British justice system.

There was a thread that was in the prossess of debating the above issues in some depth, but that was closed down by GNHQ with the EXPLANATION that "the debate had gone as far as it could go".

Galaxy Fri 10-Jul-20 09:15:16

You just keep saying the same thing grandad that doesnt make it true. The legislation enacted by Blairs government in terms of gay rights came about because of protests and campaigning.

Anniebach Fri 10-Jul-20 09:49:52

I don’t recall missiles being thrown at the police or statues being pulled down during the gay rights campaigns

GagaJo Fri 10-Jul-20 10:07:49

Another day, another thread, another repeated post Galaxy.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 10-Jul-20 10:37:18

If anyone has a spare few minutes google the board members of the fund raising arm of BLM US it has some interesting people, one was convicted of bombing federal buildings in the USA