Gransnet forums

News & politics

Pulling back from BLM

(58 Posts)
tickingbird Wed 01-Jul-20 09:23:28

I’ve read today that some football commentators, including a black ex player, are distancing themselves from BLM due to the UK branch of BLM issuing a series of tweets criticising Israel and calling for the defunding of our police. Apparently a statement may be forthcoming from various Premier League captains and the FA.

I, personally, have always believed there were political agitators jumping on this movement so maybe that’s the case.

lemongrove Wed 01-Jul-20 09:25:29

There are extremists who attach themselves to most causes, and these people are examples of it.

GagaJo Wed 01-Jul-20 09:28:22

They are the few, not the many. It is essentially a good movement designed to try to make progress towards equal rights.

Not every black person will support it. Doesn't mean it's not a power for good.

B9exchange Wed 01-Jul-20 09:29:16

I do think the BLM UK website has been taken over by extremists, it it right to say that black lives matter, but perhaps without the capitals.

JenniferEccles Wed 01-Jul-20 09:31:57

That’s very wise of them.

Maybe they have investigated the background of the BLM organisation and discovered that their aims include disbanding the police and emptying prisons.

It’s the same old anti establishment nonsense which rears it’s ugly head from time to time.

I wonder how many of the participants in the recent demonstrations knew exactly what they are campaigning for?

merlotgran Wed 01-Jul-20 09:47:49

I'm always amazed at how quickly some people, usually celebs or those with a 'platform' align themselves to causes that have burst on to the scene.

Do they bother with any research or available advice? Are they bowing to pressure from media bosses or do they just eagerly pin on the badge in order to up their own profiles?

Oopsminty Wed 01-Jul-20 09:55:10

merlotgran

I'm always amazed at how quickly some people, usually celebs or those with a 'platform' align themselves to causes that have burst on to the scene.

Do they bother with any research or available advice? Are they bowing to pressure from media bosses or do they just eagerly pin on the badge in order to up their own profiles?

What I've been saying all along, merlotgran

It baffles me that people do no research at all

American friends of mine, (not Trump fans/various ethnic backgrounds) are amazed to see our police and leaders of political parties dropping to their knees

BLM is an organisation

Their aim of stopping police brutality is laudable

But there's no denying it is also a far left Marxist organisation

nypost.com/2020/06/25/blm-co-founder-describes-herself-as-trained-marxist/

Anniebach Wed 01-Jul-20 10:00:11

Both merlot. I find football teams wearing black lives matter
on their football shirts - hypocrisy . For years black footballers
have endured verbal racist abuse but the teams play on , if they had stopped play it would have done more than wearing
the shirts.

25Avalon Wed 01-Jul-20 10:00:41

Finally people are listening. If only they had looked into BLMUK a few weeks ago they would have seen this is an extreme left wing organisation that wants the destruction of our country not just statues. I have been asking people on GN to read up on this organisation before jumping in. The organisers have duped everyone. Now the question of what this anonymous organisation has done with all the money it raised becomes imperative.

GagaJo Wed 01-Jul-20 10:05:10

Keep excusing yourselves. BLM is a grassroots movement. Leaderships may be forming, but this started from the people up.

It's about equal rights. Clearly not everyone on this site feels that the lives and rights of black people matter as much as those of white people.

If you want to start picking apart a political organisation, try starting with the Tory party. Responsibile for the deaths of thousands of elderly people.

25Avalon Wed 01-Jul-20 10:07:55

Anniebach there is an FA rule that you are not permitted to make political statements or have such slogans on your shirts. The wearing of the poppy was banned on shirts for that reason. They have broken their own rules in allowing footballers to wear these shirts.
Now footballers black and white are realising what BLM Organisation is about and have spoken out against it and prefer lawful ways of promoting anti racism.

I see the military have banned any of their forces from taking the knee as it is political. FA and Police take note.

25Avalon Wed 01-Jul-20 10:11:07

GagaJo so you believe BLM is a political movement.

Anniebach Wed 01-Jul-20 10:11:30

I didn’t know the wearing of the poppy was banned Avalon,
thank you

tickingbird Wed 01-Jul-20 10:14:04

Gagajo Anything you can’t blame the Tories for? BLM is a left wing organisation which has cynically used the injustices experienced by black people in an attempt to bring anarchy to bear in the UK.

The scary part Avalon is that some people will not see what their blinkered eyes and closed minds don’t want to.

Gajahgran Wed 01-Jul-20 10:14:37

BLM did not make any secret of their aims from the start and their organisers made no secret that they were a Marxist organisation unfortunately a lot of people donated before checking out the background and website.
People have lost their jobs for trying to speak out and I do hope they will be reinstated at some point in the future when more comes to light. There has been a lot of confusion between BLM the organisation and activist group and the phrase "black lives matter' which few would dispute as of course all lives matter.

25Avalon Wed 01-Jul-20 10:35:49

Quite so Tickingbird. Hopefully the voice of reason will soon be heard. Otherwise we descend in to anarchy and finally a Marxist state where people like GagaJo et al not to mention the rest of us will not be allowed any say at all.

GagaJo Wed 01-Jul-20 13:58:20

Another extreme right-wing thread with the same old characters. How refreshing.

GagaJo Wed 01-Jul-20 13:59:21

At least BLM isn't killing off old white people. Unlike the Tories.

JenniferEccles Wed 01-Jul-20 14:31:45

It’s a scary thought 25Avalon and I share your concern but thankfully it will never happen.

Although the Left wing, ‘ blame the Tories for everything’ brigade are very vocal on GN it is reassuring to remember that they and their views are in the minority in this country.

No matter how much they try to force their views, common sense prevails when it matters thankfully.

tickingbird Wed 01-Jul-20 14:53:50

We’re the extreme right now. Disgraceful labelling of any person with a different point of view or opinion.

The so called tolerant liberal left are just as fanatical, unforgiving and aggressive as religious fundamentalists. Totally unable to see beyond their own rigid, blinkered viewpoint.

AGAA4 Wed 01-Jul-20 15:23:56

I saw Keir Starmer taking the knee on the news a few days ago.

Was he aware of this Marxist movement?

MawB Wed 01-Jul-20 15:28:29

GagaJo

At least BLM isn't killing off old white people. Unlike the Tories.

Another of those perceptive and reasoned comments it isn’t.
Do you ever think before you wade in Gagajo?

janeainsworth Wed 01-Jul-20 15:37:29

Gagajo It's about equal rights. Clearly not everyone on this site feels that the lives and rights of black people matter as much as those of white people.

Surely it's possible to believe black people's lives and rights matter at the same time as questioning the allegiances & origins of the BLM movement.
The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Any organisation should stand up to scrutiny, whether it's BLM or the Tory Party.

growstuff Wed 01-Jul-20 15:38:46

Hang on a minute before you all jump on the anti-BLM bandwagon!

BLM UK always was a completely separate organisation from the international BLM movement, which was the inspiration for the original marches.

The BLM movement was a grassroots organisation with no official leadership, but there's a federation which issued a condemnation of BLM UK, which is a left-wing movement using the BLM name. Quite a few people were conned and have made donations.

It doesn't negate the original messages.

janeainsworth Wed 01-Jul-20 15:43:01

Thanks Growstuff. That sounds rather devious, doesn't it.