Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Meghan expecting a cut?

(151 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 01-Jul-20 19:07:37

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8479779/Meghan-claims-Britain-profit-wedding-Prince-Harry.html

I didn't realise she was starring in a blockbuster. I wonder how Harry feels about his wedding day now?

Reading down the list of expenditure I was struck by £90,000 being spent on silver plated trumpets to announce the event!

Only silver plated?? grin

sodapop Thu 02-Jul-20 08:34:51

grin merlotgran

I agree maddyone

Anniebach Thu 02-Jul-20 08:39:05

maddy the costs of the wedding and the claims of one
billion are listed in papers in the put forward by her legal team.

merlotgran Thu 02-Jul-20 08:59:09

Any boost to Britain's coffers thanks to their wedding will have benefitted tourism, retailers et al. You know....those people who pay the taxes that funded the renovations to Frogmore Cottage and pay for H&M's security etc., so it ends up benefitting them whichever way you look at it.

Anniebach Thu 02-Jul-20 09:02:33

She has named the friends who first gave details of that letter
but didn’t know they had done so

merlotgran Thu 02-Jul-20 09:18:34

It could be interesting if 'the five' are called to give evidence because one of them, referred to as a close confidante, is probably Jessica Mulroney who has now been confined to Meghan's friendship bin so no longer owes her any loyalty. hmm

eazybee Thu 02-Jul-20 09:25:15

Oh, has she?
According to the Telegraph they are friends A,B,C,D and E. Bit of a problem with one of them because she has been named and shamed for not saying anything on another important matter.

I know the three day stay at Soho House Hotel because of 'security problems at Frogmore', cost £33,000, and wondered what on earth they got for that money, bearing in mind she was pregnant so wouldn't be enjoying fine dining or anything else she couldn't get at home. Perhaps they let her take home one of the copper baths she so much admired.

Callistemon Thu 02-Jul-20 09:29:50

Lollin

Callistemon now that is interesting, regarding silver plated being best for trumpets rather than solid silver. Once again it just goes to show, we are never too old to learn something new.

Lollin grin

I am a mine of useless useful information

Smileless2012 Thu 02-Jul-20 09:38:42

I don't understand how this has anything to do with the court caseconfused. What difference does it make how much money was 'raised' by their wedding?

*She has named the friends who first gave details of that letter but didn't know they had done so*confused How on earth can you do that and not know you have?

Anniebach Thu 02-Jul-20 09:49:21

She knew they had done so after they had done so ! Expect
she means she didn’t give them permission to do so but is
suing the newspaper because her father gave his permission.

And she has said she didn’t have support from the royal family
when she was pregnant.

Namsnanny Thu 02-Jul-20 10:44:40

Oh Maw! How did I give that impression?

^ well I feel well and truly pounced on by namsnanny now^

Mentioning your post was only to point out how varied news can be.

As I said I had no problem with either your post. This post or any post on here.

As a rule i steer well clear of this thread, I have no wish to tread on anyone's toes, upset anyone.

Having said that I do have a point of view, Whilst I do hold opinions, I try to avoid too much confrontation where possible

Clearly I missed the mark this time, please accept my apology.

Marmight Thu 02-Jul-20 11:06:26

Its a pity Megan didn't have an introductory course with her Aunt in law, Princess Anne, before embarking on life in the RF. Anne reuses, recycles and is parsimonious in the extreme and I’m sure didn’t spend £500,000 on maternity wear shock
sorry if this comment upsets the thread police. There is news - and there is ‘news’

luluaugust Thu 02-Jul-20 11:22:21

Surely the truth is she wangled a meeting with Harry, saw her chance, took it, didn't like what she found and bolted. I would love to know what Princess Anne thinks!

Namsnanny Thu 02-Jul-20 11:23:18

maddyone ... its just not my day is it? As I seem to have offended you also!

my opinion and I wont change it

I have formed my views but I dont need to foist them on others.
My apologies if I didn't make that clear enough.
We can agree to disagree though cant we?

Although I do find I can change my opinion if something is put in a reasoned way.

Perhaps I lack conviction at times?!

Namsnanny Thu 02-Jul-20 11:47:08

marmite ... I could be wrong but I can remember pAnne commenting on a doc about her life, that young people dont like to listen to elders and waste time re inventing the wheel.
The narrator took the view this was directed towards HM with regards to handling the press attention etc.

I found it very illuminating

Sparklefizz Thu 02-Jul-20 12:31:26

Namsnanny Yes, I think it was P. Anne who said that .... you're right.

Sparklefizz Thu 02-Jul-20 12:33:35

.... and when Princess Anne got married for the 2nd time, she even wore a dress she'd been photographed in before!! Not a massive white wedding with all the trimmings!

Anniebach Thu 02-Jul-20 12:37:10

Why did she say ‘Beatrice and Eugenie are paid to work ‘ ,
they do not carry out official duties

Marmight Thu 02-Jul-20 12:47:40

Both Beatrice and Eugenie have careers and aren’t ‘working Royals’ although pitch up to support for important Royal occasions

EllanVannin Thu 02-Jul-20 13:20:39

They're a changing breed now as apart from the Queen they're all ordinary people enjoying the riches that royalty brings. It'll all sadly fizzle out in due course unless any one of them should prove themselves.

Anniebach Thu 02-Jul-20 13:27:54

I think Charles has always taken his ‘job’ seriously and William
is doing the same

Alexa Thu 02-Jul-20 13:32:44

I enjoyed that wedding, and felt so glad the Windsors can mount a show like that. Meghan was a winner for a royal personality and I am sorry she felt she could not carry on with her part.

lemongrove Thu 02-Jul-20 13:42:32

Callistemon

Lollin

Callistemon now that is interesting, regarding silver plated being best for trumpets rather than solid silver. Once again it just goes to show, we are never too old to learn something new.

Lollin grin

I am a mine of useless useful information

I think we should just blow our own trumpets....and save the tax payers money.?

Callistemon Thu 02-Jul-20 15:30:33

Groan
grin

I couldn't even get a note out of the oboe when I tried very many years ago, no hope with a trumpet, sorry!

Callistemon Thu 02-Jul-20 15:31:23

Alexa

I enjoyed that wedding, and felt so glad the Windsors can mount a show like that. Meghan was a winner for a royal personality and I am sorry she felt she could not carry on with her part.

I thought she'd be a winner, too Alexa and am sorry she fell at the first hurdle.

Smileless2012 Thu 02-Jul-20 15:33:36

I used to play the recorder; is that any use?