Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Meghan expecting a cut?

(151 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 01-Jul-20 19:07:37

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8479779/Meghan-claims-Britain-profit-wedding-Prince-Harry.html

I didn't realise she was starring in a blockbuster. I wonder how Harry feels about his wedding day now?

Reading down the list of expenditure I was struck by £90,000 being spent on silver plated trumpets to announce the event!

Only silver plated?? grin

moggie57 Thu 30-Jul-20 11:19:37

well she is an actresss who wanted a fantasy prince and a child and live happily ever after... what meghan wants meghan gets . i cant see this lasting much longer......i dont think any of them thought this through...

Jabberwok Thu 30-Jul-20 11:48:34

Clarence certainly posed a danger but Edward 1Vth wisely had him executed for treason ! Loyal Richard however proved just as lethal! Why Edward 1Vth didn't 'silence' Bishop Stillington is one of life's mysteries!

TerriBull Thu 30-Jul-20 12:09:03

Meanwhile, Mr M, is making, or preparing to make some speech or other about sustainable tourism. Can't help thinking, does anyone want to listen to his ramblings, when the whole world is in a state of complete disarray, many people having lost their jobs, wondering just how they are going to make ends meet. Whilst "14 bedroomed Harry" emerges from his palatial mansion to tell the world just how they should be travelling, if indeed they ever get the chance to do that again safely, not having the luxury of being able fly off on a private gas guzzling jet at the drop of a hat! He's not really bringing much to the table, can't imagine who his target audience would be on such matters. The word "irrelevant" springs to mind, his timing is a bit s**t under the circumstances.

EllanVannin Thu 30-Jul-20 12:09:31

After seeing Princess Anne's 70th last night, these two pale into insignificance.

Newatthis Thu 30-Jul-20 12:50:51

I think a lot more has been spent on other royal weddings, but I do think the income that royal weddings bring in outweighs the cost, not sure but I think that the business owners in and around London/Windsor the royal wedding venues would know more about that than me.

Grany Thu 30-Jul-20 16:57:43

What’s the bombshell in the Harry and Meghan book? That the royals are all as bad as each other.

The bizarre edifice that the British public and media have constructed to maintain this deranged pretence about the relevance of the royals was in full view this weekend when the papers published extracts of Finding Freedom, a book about Nelson Mandela’s time on Robben Island. Wait, I’m sorry – I mean the time Harry and Meghan escaped the prison of subsidised luxury to live in Tyler Perry’s mansion in Los Angeles.

Confirming that a member of the royal family is a snob is like getting excited about the pope’s Catholicism or, perhaps more aptly, bears’ woods-based activities. If William was not a snob, he would throw up all over himself every time he introduced himself. There would be no way he could possibly justify his existence to himself if he was not an absolute raging snob, and the same goes for every stupid member of his stupid family. Just in case anyone might be banking on Prince Edward’s proletarian tendencies.

Look, many things can be true at once, as true as they are obvious. Are the Windsors awful, riddled with snobbery, sexism and racism? Yes! Were they unfriendly to Meghan? Undoubtedly. Did Harry and Meghan have a ludicrously cushy deal in the UK? Yes. Do they now? Yes. And do they seem to not really appreciate that? Well …

Contrary to what fairy tales might have taught us, people – even princes – don’t have to be either all good or all bad. What we have here is a big pile of flawed humans. That’s all they are. And if they ever thought they were more than that, the fault lies with us for believing that, too.

Grany Thu 30-Jul-20 17:03:00

Extracts from here

amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/28/prince-harry-and-meghan-book-royals-flawed-finding-freedom-sussex?__twitter_impression=true

I agree with what's been written They are all the Windsors a waste of money. That's my opinion

Jabberwok Thu 30-Jul-20 17:49:09

The RF were not unpleasant to either to MM. or her mother.
Why is it that people who disapprove of the monarchy have to be so unpleasant and furious about them on a personal level?

Anniebach Thu 30-Jul-20 17:59:59

It’s the republicans who long for a president, Trump, Castro,
and definitely Maduro and Chavez ,

Jabberwok Thu 30-Jul-20 18:32:05

So it would seem Annie!sad

trisher Thu 30-Jul-20 18:46:25

I see the only defence for the RF is that they weren't nasty, or that people who criticise them are unpleasant and want a president. Let's face it the article is absolutely true. They are a deeply unpleasant lot, they only exist because of the adoration of some of the public. I think perhaps they meet some sort of need to worship something.

Grany Thu 30-Jul-20 18:52:11

A democratically Elected Head of State would be something like they have in Ireland.

A liked and well respected president working in the interests of the people.

The Royal soap opera is becoming an embarrassment for Britain.

Dinahmo Thu 30-Jul-20 20:07:43

Grany

A democratically Elected Head of State would be something like they have in Ireland.

A liked and well respected president working in the interests of the people.

The Royal soap opera is becoming an embarrassment for Britain.

Did you watch the documentary last night about Princess Anne? If you didn't I suggest you watch it on catch up. It was well made and very interesting.

Callistemon Thu 30-Jul-20 20:41:14

A liked and well-respected President
So much so that no-one has heard of him or her! Ireland - population just under 5 million. A lovely country.

However, countries are not exactly scrambling to join them, as they are The Commonwealth of Nations, population 2.4 billion.

You never fail to delight Grany!

Anniebach Thu 30-Jul-20 21:19:50

Grany with respect your criticism of the royal family sounds so like hatred, yet you believe something said by the one member of the family who walked away from this country .

You support and elected president yet you have said Corbyn is
a broken man because his defeat at the last election ,the worse
defeat since 1935, was caused by voters believing lies in the press. Voters have put Cameron, May and Johnson in No 10
yet you still believe in a democratically head of state

Grany Thu 30-Jul-20 22:36:41

This is an interesting video about the commonwealth.

It's not all about the Royals.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=FwVqFSCByvs&t=217s

Grany Thu 30-Jul-20 23:56:25

This is the newest video

How Much Do The Royals Really Cost?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=r0pMWyunIZc

Grany Sat 01-Aug-20 07:29:16

Prince Andrew is trending on Twitter

But let's talk about Meghan and Harry

Lucca Sat 01-Aug-20 07:55:41

Jabberwok

The RF were not unpleasant to either to MM. or her mother.
Why is it that people who disapprove of the monarchy have to be so unpleasant and furious about them on a personal level?

??.... so furious about them on a personal level??
Harry and Meghan threads anyone ?

eazybee Sat 01-Aug-20 08:14:16

so furious about them on a personal level??
Harry and Meghan threads anyone ?

Yes, because the pair of them are doing everything they can to undermine the Royal Family whilst exploiting their relationship to live off them.

To refer to the original post: Is Meghan expecting a cut?
Of course she is; that is why she married into them, as is being revealed by every new venture.

Grany Sat 01-Aug-20 08:20:16

This is something you could disapprove of and get furious about. I bet Andrew is in a sweat now but did the palace know and have they covered this up?

New developments today: Prince Andrew 'lobbied US government' on behalf of paedophile Jeffrey Epstein - documents reveal

Anniebach Sat 01-Aug-20 08:23:44

Grany a thread on Andrew was started yesterday

Grany Sat 01-Aug-20 08:49:52

Thank you Anniebach

Jabberwok Sat 01-Aug-20 14:18:55

Sorry I didn't make my comments clear! I meant unpleasant and furious about the monarchy on a personal level, not Harry and Meghan. A lot of us are furious and disappointed with them for the reasons stated by easybee!

maddyone Sat 01-Aug-20 14:26:46

Agree with eazybee and Jabberwok.

I’ll have a look for the Andrew thread. He’s a different and unpalatable problem for the royals.