Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cummings to sort out the army

(50 Posts)
growstuff Wed 08-Jul-20 10:14:54

When I first saw this clip from a meeting between Conservative MP and the Chief of the Defence Staff, General Nick Carter, I honestly thought it was a hoax, but it would appear to be genuine:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAGrra1e89c

Comments?

MaizieD Wed 08-Jul-20 11:53:07

It's Parkinson's Law. GG13, people rise to the level of their incompetence.

Perhaps he should just have stuck to what he is good at...

growstuff Wed 08-Jul-20 12:39:24

No comment! (At least, I did write a comment but thought I'd better delete it.)

These people are supposed to be our leaders, for goodness sake!

Maybe I'm turning into a grumpy old git, but I have this strange idea that political leaders should be professional and have a degree of competence.

growstuff Wed 08-Jul-20 12:41:02

GrannyGravy13

GillT57

Mark Francois is a silly little man, trying to get in with the 'big boys' who are probably laughing at home. More worrying is the fact that 40,000 people in his constituency thought he was a good choice!

His constituency is next to mine, and apparently he is a good constituency MP.

I don't wish to speak ill of the good people of Rayleigh and Wickford, but ...

varian Wed 08-Jul-20 13:49:41

Parkinson's law is the adage that "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion". It is sometimes applied to the growth of bureaucracy in an organization.

The Peter Principle was first identified by Dr Laurence J. Peter, a sociologist, lecturer and business consultant, in his 1968 book of the same name. It states, "In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence."

Mark Francois seems to have risen well above any level of competence.

Riverwalk Wed 08-Jul-20 14:46:09

The General, who is a veteran of conflicts in Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq, did not seem shaken by the thought.

Says all we need to know.

growstuff Wed 08-Jul-20 15:49:24

Riverwalk

^The General, who is a veteran of conflicts in Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq, did not seem shaken by the thought.^

Says all we need to know.

Maybe Francois and Cummings could be sent to Afghanistan as some kind of special envoy. hmm

MaizieD Wed 08-Jul-20 16:23:48

I stand corrected, varian. Thanks grin

(I wasn't 'quite' sure if I'd got the right one..)

patcaf Wed 08-Jul-20 17:22:29

The army has seen off every govt in my lifetime and will ignore cummings who will disappear in time. There was no threat but only because General Carter has seen too many 'wannabe' soldiers like Francois to be even slightly bothered.

Like Francois , Cummings skills, talent , and ability has no beginning.

growstuff Wed 08-Jul-20 19:05:09

I'm sure you're right about General Carter patcafe. I just hope that Cummings doesn't get his way in making cuts. His idea is that war can be conducted by drones, so soldiers aren't needed.

I'm still amazed that anybody who can speak like Francois did and try to threaten Carter with a squirt like Cummings has any role of responsibility. It's almost as though he wants to make himself into a cartoon character.

varian Wed 08-Jul-20 19:19:29

You should not be surprised growstuff.

Francois's boss Johnson has got where he is by making himself into a cartoon chartacter.

MayBee70 Wed 08-Jul-20 22:31:44

growstuff: was Francois really in the catering corps? (she says chuckling away to herself)....

Eloethan Wed 08-Jul-20 23:57:03

The Talented Mr Cummings - which area of governance will next be blessed with this man's alleged brilliance?

growstuff Thu 09-Jul-20 00:05:32

MayBee70

growstuff: was Francois really in the catering corps? (she says chuckling away to herself)....

Allegedly (said in my HIGNFY voice).

growstuff Thu 09-Jul-20 00:10:51

Eloethan

The Talented Mr Cummings - which area of governance will next be blessed with this man's alleged brilliance?

Apparently he's been given security clearance to visit sites such as Porton Down and other highly sensitive sites.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/08/dominic-cummings-to-tour-sensitive-mod-sites-amid-defence-review

Other media have reported it, so it's not "just" the Guardian.

Presumably that's why Francois threatened that "he'll come down and sort you out and you won't like it".

growstuff Thu 09-Jul-20 00:15:09

I wonder if John Le Carré is up to writing another novel. He wouldn't have to think too hard about the plot.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Jul-20 06:37:12

Visiting Porton Down! What on earth does he think he can contribute? Perhaps he’ll decide how many scientists are needed for any particular project.

This is getting surreal.

My daughters best friend is one of the scientists there, if I hear anything I’ll let you all know.

MayBee70 Thu 09-Jul-20 08:06:39

I think we all need to write to our MP’s and ask for an explanation of why the man is doing this and what authority he has to do so.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Jul-20 15:47:14

I do think this is all very odd

Tobias Ellwood MP
@Tobias_Ellwood

If correct and DOMINIC CUMMINGS is formally involved in reviewing the UK’s defence and security architecture then he should be subject to the same parliamentary scrutiny as ministers, military personnel and the civil service.

growstuff Thu 09-Jul-20 16:33:06

MayBee70

I think we all need to write to our MP’s and ask for an explanation of why the man is doing this and what authority he has to do so.

In my case, it would be a waste of time.

growstuff Thu 09-Jul-20 16:34:12

Whitewavemark2

I do think this is all very odd

Tobias Ellwood MP
@Tobias_Ellwood

If correct and DOMINIC CUMMINGS is formally involved in reviewing the UK’s defence and security architecture then he should be subject to the same parliamentary scrutiny as ministers, military personnel and the civil service.

Tobias Ellwood knows what he's talking about re defence.

growstuff Thu 09-Jul-20 16:35:26

Whitewavemark2

Visiting Porton Down! What on earth does he think he can contribute? Perhaps he’ll decide how many scientists are needed for any particular project.

This is getting surreal.

My daughters best friend is one of the scientists there, if I hear anything I’ll let you all know.

He probably wants to know about nerve gases.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Jul-20 16:37:41

Quite extraordinary. I don’t think a spad has ever had this level of control or access.

MaizieD Thu 09-Jul-20 17:57:48

But he's not just any ordinary Spad. He's now officially 'Assistant to the Prime Minister' with thauthority to make decisions without having to consult the PM.

It's amazing where chutzpah and total contempt for parliamentary democracy can get you...

FarNorth Thu 09-Jul-20 18:01:32

And a prime minister who hasn't a clue, so needs any help he can get.