Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit Re-booted

(599 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Jul-20 08:07:06

Whilst we have all been busy with C19, Brexit has been still in the background, so I thought as a break from C19 I would start up Brexit again??

Latest gossip/leak

Liz Truss has written to Johnson warning him that his border plans “ risk smuggling, damage to the U.K. reputation and WTO wrath who may well launch a legal challenge over the plan to phase in customs and health checks Over 6 months.

Something else that’s going to run and run.

Negotiations with the EU are due to end 31 October.

Pollaidh Wed 29-Jul-20 22:24:03

Davidhs

It does not need to be a Charter for Smugglers but checks will be needed. The border crossings between Switzerland and the EU work smoothly, sometimes you get stopped sometimes you don’t, (we did). Commercial goods go through separate channel’s and get inspected. Once the rules are established it will be routine but not everyone will like it that’s for sure.

Switzerland is part of the Single Market and Schengen. They are not a true comparison as a no deal Brexit will mean a very different regime.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-Aug-20 12:47:21

Brexit has sparked an exodus of economically productive people from the UK to European Union nations on a scale that would normally be expected only as a result of a major economic or political crisis, according to a detailed new study.”

varian Sun 02-Aug-20 13:43:28

The study says that migration from the UK to EU countries has increased by about 30% compared to pre-Brexit numbers. Britons living in other EU countries who decided to obtain EU member state passports as well as their UK ones had increased by more than 500% overall, and by 2,000% in Germany.

Dr Daniel Auer, a co-author of the report, said: “These increases in numbers are of a magnitude that you would expect when a country is hit by a major economic or political crisis.”

Moreover, the study found that UK migrants are among the most educated and skilled of those from any nation, with one of the highest net average income rates, suggesting that Brexit has begun a steady drain of the most talented and productive people to the continent.

In Germany, UK migrants were among the highest earners, bringing in on average €2,812 a month in 2019, just behind those from Austria and the US.

There are now about 1.2 million British citizens living in the EU, between 120,000 and 150,000 of which are in Germany. In the four years since the Brexit referendum, 31,600 Brits have been granted dual British/German citizenship: 2019 saw 14,600 naturalisations compared to 622 in 2015.

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/02/brexit-fuels-brain-drain-as-skilled-britons-head-to-the-eu

varian Sun 02-Aug-20 13:50:52

This report confirms what so many of us know from personal experience. Half of my family have emigrated to another EU country, one of three EU countries which were keen to have them, as they have good UK degrees and are highly experienced with strong transferable skills.

It makes me sick when I hear the brexit liars boasting that the UK will be welcoming the "brightest and best" from all over the world, when they have driven our own "brightest and best" to leave for other EU countries.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Aug-20 13:23:04

Lorry drivers will be fined £300 if they head in the direction of port or Eurotunnel without “the right papers”.

Brexit now to involve “internal borders” within UK to manage the new situation.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Aug-20 13:33:30

The contra-flow is being introduced - expect chaos in Kent.

t.co/31fmlVc2Qc?amp=1

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Aug-20 13:38:27

Ian Duncan Smith.

Whilst the UK wants to have a good trade relationship with the EU as a sovereign state, the EU has different ideas. They want our money and they want to stop us being a competitor. The Withdrawal Agreement (WA) we signed last year sadly helps them

Q. Why did you vote for it?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Aug-20 13:46:11

Boris Johnson in cloud cuckoo land by Stanley Johnson

t.co/E1f9WPw1H3?amp=1

varian Tue 04-Aug-20 13:53:15

So that's why Stanley hasn't got a peerage!

MaizieD Tue 04-Aug-20 13:57:32

I wonder if Jo Johnson will start singing now that his peerage is in the bag? grin

And the government is urgently requesting that emergency 'no deal' stocks of medicines (depleted by the covid crisis) are replenished...

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Aug-20 13:57:44

Time to start your stockpile of drugs and store cupboard, according to the government.

t.co/M1I1PbFmFP?amp=1

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Aug-20 13:58:03

Snap!!

varian Wed 05-Aug-20 12:16:04

EU dismisses Iain Duncan Smith's call for the Brexit withdrawal agreement to be rewritten

www.indy100.com/article/brexit-iain-duncan-smith-european-union-withdrawal-bill-9654851

James O’Brien’s epic monologue slams Iain Duncan Smith for ‘utter idiocy’ over Brexit comments

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/lbc-host-criticises-ids-over-comments-on-brexit-withdrawal-deal-1-6776678

varian Wed 05-Aug-20 14:06:57

Video resurfaces of Iain Duncan Smith trying to stop MPs scrutinising Brexit agreement he now wants rewritten

Footage has resurfaced of a Tory Brexiteer praising Boris Johnson’s Withdrawal Agreement bill and trying to prevent MPs from scrutinising the document - days after calling for it to be rewritten.

Iain Duncan Smith (IDS) provoked a stir this week when he suggested “fine print” in the Withdrawal Agreement - which sets out the UK’s departure from the EU - had tied Britain into £160 million in unpaid loan repayments.

In a series of Twitter posts, he claimed the divorce deal “denies” Britain “true national independence” and that it “has to go”.

“Whilst the UK wants to have a good trade relationship with the EU as a sovereign state, the EU has different ideas,” he ranted. “They want our money and they want to stop us being a competitor. The Withdrawal Agreement (WA) we signed last year sadly helps them.”

He complained that a clause “buried in fine print” meant Britons “remain hooked” into the EU’s loan book, the very agreement that he not only voted for but also he denied MPs more time to debate in parliament.

In an embarrassing moment for the former Tory leader, a video of that a debate back in October has resurfaced and it shows him advocating against further scrutiny of deal.

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/video-of-ids-commons-speech-against-wa-scrutiny-found-on-twitter-1-6778151

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Aug-20 14:26:26

Lorry drivers now have to have a permit to enter Kent.

Likewise the Northern Irish birder.

You have to hand it to the Brexiters they love having borders to control.

MaizieD Wed 05-Aug-20 14:35:49

The idea of trying to ditch the WA has been around for a few weeks now.

This is from Prof. Chris Grey's 'Brexit Blog' 17th July:

The proposition in the CBP report, of course, is that whether or not there is a deal the WA should be ditched.

It is, frankly, an insane idea – politically, legally and diplomatically - but it grows from the long-evident way that the Ultras are never satisfied with Brexit, however hard and in whatever form. This is partly because the ideas they have of what is possible are total fantasy, and so as soon as they encounter reality, as they did in the Article 50 negotiations, they are doomed to be ‘betrayed’. But the deeper issue is that there is, actually, a desire to be betrayed, a desire always to be campaigning for something even more extreme, always to be insisting that Brexit is being denied them. In the most recent example, as in the past, this extends to denouncing as betrayal even things that they themselves have supported or voted for in the past. It is a pathology which has totally deformed British politics so that, now, at the moment of their victory, they are still complaining, still unhappy, still spitting out vitriol, still blaming remainers.

Clearly, there are significant and dangerous connections between these demands to scrap the WA and what is emerging about the effects of Brexit. For as these effects unfold the Ultras will never admit that all (or anything) that they were warned of was true. Instead, they will insist that the effects are the consequence of Brexit not having been done properly. In this way, they keep their dream and their pathological victimhood intact, whilst blaming remainers for the effects of the policy they themselves advocated. It is a form of politics that is deeply immature but, worse, totally destructive, endlessly revisiting the same battlefields until there is nothing left but dirt and ashes.

Its consequence is likely to be that even as we all suffer the many adverse consequences of the Brexit they forced on us with lies and fantasies we do not even get the consolation prize of an end to their complaints, their taunts, and their vicious slurs. Any kind of hope – as proposed in my recent post – of initiating a new post-Brexit conversation with and about Europe is dashed as a result. Any idea of healing domestic divisions is destroyed, because these Ultras do not want to heal divisions: they thrive upon them. So we get Brexit and we also get endless screeches of Brexit betrayed. They now call the WA a “poison pill” but it is their own poison, one which has now infected the entire body politic.

chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/2020/07/brexit-gets-more-real-brexiters-get.html

I found these observations profoundly depressing because I fear they are accurate... We will never be free of Brexiters moaning that it's all been done wrong and isn't separating us enough from the EU.

Urmstongran Wed 05-Aug-20 14:58:32

Well he sounds a right Eeyore anyway!
All that negativity - put money on the fact he voted Remain.
?

varian Wed 05-Aug-20 18:35:40

He probably did vote Remain as he is obviously intelligent and well informed - unlike the majority of leave voters.

MaizieD Wed 05-Aug-20 18:40:10

I'm glad you responded first, varian. Idiocy isn't good for my blood pressure...

Urmstongran Wed 05-Aug-20 19:04:55

Oh come on! That’s totally disingenuous to suggest that no intelligent people voted for Brexit. I’ve listened to many and read articles by them.

Ah well, stay in your bubble if it fits your narrative.
?

MaizieD Wed 05-Aug-20 19:09:11

If only you could point us at something pro brexit by someone intelligent, Ug. We might then believe you. All I've ever seen is totally divorced from reality...

varian Wed 05-Aug-20 19:42:57

Eg - Iain Duncan Smith

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Aug-20 19:46:32

This

“Agreed brexit withdrawal agreement with EU

Then didn’t like the backstop

Then hailed a second oven ready agreement cutting NI adrift as a great success

Then sacked MPs who asked for time to read it

Now they don’t like what they signed and want a third go“

Nothing very intelligent about that is there?

Urmstongran Wed 05-Aug-20 20:45:30

Nigel Farage did what he was supposed to do: motivate and turn out the third of the voters who shared his implacable hostility to the EU.

Young people voted overwhelmingly to Remain but not many turned up at the polling station. I think they were on their way to Glastonbury.

varian Thu 06-Aug-20 13:08:55

Another hidden cost of Brexit has been laid bare – people will be less willing to help the UK in a crisis

www.independent.co.uk/independentpremium/voices/brexit-eu-polls-boris-johnson-help-trade-a9655146.html