Gransnet forums

News & politics

Restraining violent, drugged abusive members if the public

(134 Posts)
Sparkling Tue 14-Jul-20 07:24:16

Any ideas how you can safely arrest a drugged up and violent member of the public one of whom could have a knife or weapon. This is part of police life, often the violent person can be physically much larger than the arresting officer. It would be enlightening to the general public as well"

25Avalon Sat 18-Jul-20 17:09:00

He was carrying the knife to repair his bike his defence lawyer says. So that’s alright then.

Sparkling Sat 18-Jul-20 20:18:06

I think you are right 3Nanny, I have got quite upset trying to defend decent members of society, there is that element who think the opposite, so I won’t be posting any more on this thread.

trisher Sat 18-Jul-20 20:27:01

The police act in this country with the consent of the general public. It's one of the reasons they can operate succesfully without needing to carry guns. If they lose the support of the public their job becomes much harder. In order to maintain that support they need to be seen to be acting reasonably and fairly. It isn't supporting criminals to expect officers to behave properly it is ensuring that they can continue to operate safely.

Summerlove Sat 18-Jul-20 21:12:03

JenniferEccles

I did make a point of saying that what happened to Floyd was wrong but that doesn’t alter the fact that his criminal record shows he was perfectly capable of violence.

The original question was how can police effectively restrain criminals who are out of control, possibly under the influence of drugs or alcohol, possibly armed and of a larger, stronger build than the officer.

In cases like that the neck restraint appears to be effective.

Of course it has to be done carefully, but it would be so wrong if all this negative publicity results in it becoming banned.

Effective in killing people.

Attitudes like yours make me weep. Where is your humanity

grannyrebel7 Sat 18-Jul-20 21:27:26

I don't understand why water cannon is not used more often especially in riot situations. It's not going to kill anyone just knock them down and get them wet.

icanhandthemback Sat 18-Jul-20 21:59:29

It's meant to be disturbing to garner more publicity for the Black Rights movement.

It's just a thousand pities it was filmed!

It is a thousand pities that more arrests aren't filmed even if it is only to protect the police themselves from false allegations. I have witnessed the police being over zealous with somebody who has done nothing wrong except keep asking why they are arresting them when they have done nothing wrong. It was a black man and whilst they might have had a reason to arrest him that we knew nothing about, they waded into him so as to knock him to the ground. He wasn't going anywhere, he wasn't abusive just bewildered and they hadn't even tried to handcuff him. The crowd were equally bewildered but just threatened to arrest anybody who tried to speak to them. I have also seen somebody who has been beaten up in a police station, had a solicitors assistant come forward to act as a witness to say the victim had not been acting out and then had to withdraw it because her career would be stopped in its tracked and she couldn't afford to take the chance.
That said, there are thousands of good police officers out there who are hurting because of the actions of a minority of rogue officers. There does need to be a debate about how to support police officers in policing and restraint but they have to understand that people dying should not be at their hands. If restraint is needed, it should be for the least amount of time until they get the person handcuffed, wrists and ankles if necessary. Anybody yielding a weapon should expect the use of pepper spray or taser regardless of their medical history and there should be lengthy sentences for those that cause any injury to a police officer. I am not a bleeding heart liberal for a criminal but a civilised society would not want to see anybody given the death penalty before they'd even had a trial.

icanhandthemback Sat 18-Jul-20 22:01:21

I am not a bleeding heart liberal for a criminal but a civilised society would not want to see anybody given the death penalty before they'd even had a trial.

Actually, I might be a little bit liberal because I don't agree with the death penalty after trial either. Too many innocent people have lost their lives by mistake.

Furret Sun 19-Jul-20 07:12:30

That said, there are thousands of good police officers out there who are hurting because of the actions of a minority of rogue officers

Exactly. There are many officers who are disgusted and worried by this. Not the least because the action of these rogue officers make their job more difficult.