Gransnet forums

News & politics

I love the statue that has replaced the slave trader

(209 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-Jul-20 19:42:08

Wonder how long the far right will let it stand?

Grandad1943 Thu 16-Jul-20 07:21:49

It is well that the illegally placed statue has now been removed by Bristol City Council and placed at the same site as that of the statue of Colston.

The illegal pillar was not properly secured to the plinth which it was hoisted onto, and therefore it was, without doubt, a public safety hazard, and that undoubtedly is one of the reasons why it has been removed so quickly.

The figure represented no one of any consequence in the anti-slavery movement, and the person it represented had stated that it was a tribute to Black Lives Matter (BLM).

As BLM is an organisation with anarchist intentions it could not be allowed to remain where it had been placed in the eyes of very many I feel.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-Jul-20 07:32:40

Grandad1943

It is well that the illegally placed statue has now been removed by Bristol City Council and placed at the same site as that of the statue of Colston.

The illegal pillar was not properly secured to the plinth which it was hoisted onto, and therefore it was, without doubt, a public safety hazard, and that undoubtedly is one of the reasons why it has been removed so quickly.

The figure represented no one of any consequence in the anti-slavery movement, and the person it represented had stated that it was a tribute to Black Lives Matter (BLM).

As BLM is an organisation with anarchist intentions it could not be allowed to remain where it had been placed in the eyes of very many I feel.

It could have been made secure.

Your glib statement asserting that BLM is an organisation with anarchist tendencies has no basis in fact, which suggests that you are willing to dismiss an organisation formed to promote diversity, empathy and restorative justice amongst other aims. None suggest anarchy and all suggest reconciliation and cooperation..

Furret Thu 16-Jul-20 07:35:15

Grandad1943

So predictable

flopen Thu 16-Jul-20 07:36:06

I suggest that you read their manifesto more carefully, whitewave

Furret Thu 16-Jul-20 07:37:03

“The subject matter is powerful, a local voice, a remarkable woman being represented,” said Marvin Quinn, Bristol’s mayor.

Furret Thu 16-Jul-20 07:37:44

flopen

I suggest you stop telling intelligent people what to do.

Gajahgran Thu 16-Jul-20 07:42:18

The Bristol mayor is Marvin Rees, Quinn created the statue

flopen Thu 16-Jul-20 07:42:45

I think anyone who can't be bothered to read the blm manifesto, and spends their time flailing around insulting posters who disagree with them, without answering the points they make need to stop and listen.
Do you believe that all prisons should be closed, that the police should be refunded, and that the nuclear family is a bad thing ?
Blm does.
Try answering that, instead of slagging people off

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-Jul-20 07:42:48

flopen

The organisation does not have a manifesto, it isn’t that sort of organisation. It does however have a set of guiding principles that as I have previously said suggest its aims are of fairness, reconciliation and cooperation.

We can if you wish go through them one by one and debate what you think is meant by diversity, empathy, restorative justice etc.

flopen Thu 16-Jul-20 07:43:24

Defunded. Blasted autocorrect

flopen Thu 16-Jul-20 07:44:44

Well, those are the aims on the GoFundMe site. Are you saying that's not true?

flopen Thu 16-Jul-20 07:48:52

Here's the manifesto
blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/
And it expresses the aim of breaking down the nuclear family and cis gender privilege. So no thank you

Oldwoman70 Thu 16-Jul-20 07:48:53

Who is "Marvin Quinn"? The Mayor of Bristol is Marvin Rees. The statue has been removed by the (Labour) council - so not "right wing laidees"

The statue was made by a London artist and the subject was someone who had travelled to Bristol to take part in an illegal gathering.

There are many others, born in Bristol, who did much for the city - if there is to be a statue I would like to see one of them honoured.

Furret Thu 16-Jul-20 07:49:36

Gajahgran

The Bristol mayor is Marvin Rees, Quinn created the statue

Absolutely correct. That’s what I wanted to type.

Urmstongran Thu 16-Jul-20 07:51:28

In the Guardian just now:

“The sculpture of a Black Lives Matter protester that replaced the statue of slave trader Edward Colston in Bristol has been removed.

Pictures from the scene appeared to show workers at the site at about 5.20am on Thursday, 24 hours after the black resin and steel sculpture was erected.

A Bristol city council spokeswoman said: “This morning we removed the sculpture. “It will be held at our museum for the artist to collect or donate to our collection.”

Furret Thu 16-Jul-20 07:51:50

Their mission statement..

Four years ago, what is now known as the Black Lives Matter Global Network began to organize. It started out as a chapter-based, member-led organization whose mission was to build local power and to intervene when violence was inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes.

In the years since, we’ve committed to struggling together and to imagining and creating a world free of anti-Blackness, where every Black person has the social, economic, and political power to thrive

You object to that?

Furret Thu 16-Jul-20 07:53:15

The subject matter is powerful, a local voice, a remarkable woman being represented,” said Marvin Rees, Bristol’s mayor.

Correction.

flopen Thu 16-Jul-20 07:53:47

Answer my question first.
Do you believe in defunding the police? Closing prisons?

Nanna58 Thu 16-Jul-20 07:56:01

Black and white activists pulled the other statue down, so if anything why not have a statue of both ethnicities as a symbol of unity? Oh silly me, not ‘woke’ enough these days!

Furret Thu 16-Jul-20 07:56:16

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Nanna58 Thu 16-Jul-20 08:03:35

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Galaxy Thu 16-Jul-20 08:04:32

I dont think that's helpful furret. I love the statue but I am very bored with no debate.

Gingster Thu 16-Jul-20 08:06:02

As you say nightsky very provocative

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-Jul-20 08:06:34

flopen

Here's the manifesto
blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/
And it expresses the aim of breaking down the nuclear family and cis gender privilege. So no thank you

It is confusing to many, but Black Lives Matter, is a very loose organisation, which “encompasses all who declare that black lives matter” with emphasis on local action as opposed to centralised control. To try to pin such a loose confederacy to a particular manifesto clearly makes nonsense, and trawling the net will give you no clear result

The guiding principals however remain as the overall aim. These have been formulated since 2014.

Gingster Thu 16-Jul-20 08:06:59

Furret. Please,..............