Gransnet forums

News & politics

Lazy, lazy Boris

(220 Posts)
Furret Thu 16-Jul-20 07:29:41

It is mindblowing that this excuse for a PM has not even bothered to read the winter coronavirus report. When Kier Starmer pinned him down in PMQs all he could do was say he was ‘aware’ of it.

He is pathetic..and dangerous.

Boris has not read winter coronavirus report

Happygirl79 Sat 18-Jul-20 10:03:26

Boris Johnson gravely underestimates the intelligence of the British people.
He is such a poor liar.
Its the only transparent thing about him

MaizieD Sat 18-Jul-20 10:26:40

Boris Johnson gravely underestimates the intelligence of the British people.

Do you think so, Happygirl?

I think his estimation was spot on...

varian Sat 18-Jul-20 17:15:24

"World beating" is one of Johnson's favourite boasts. The only aptitude he appears to have which could be described as "world beating" is passing the buck.

Witty and Vallance put up with that for too long but have now woken up and started to tell the truth.

MaizieD Sat 18-Jul-20 17:58:45

varian

"World beating" is one of Johnson's favourite boasts. The only aptitude he appears to have which could be described as "world beating" is passing the buck.

Witty and Vallance put up with that for too long but have now woken up and started to tell the truth.

Are they telling the truth, though, varian?

Did you read this:

Patrick Vallance, the government’s chief scientific adviser and Sage chair, initially told Johnson the best way to handle the disease would be to suppress the virus’s peak, which would happen during the summer months, while ensuring that the most vulnerable were shielded at the height of the epidemic. Johnson called this “squashing thesombrero”.

The idea was that by the winter flu season much of the country would have had the disease and acquired some immunity. This was very different to the “hard stop” suppression strategy being adopted around the world — including by China and Italy — to stop the virus in its tracks. “It was British exceptionalism,” says one Treasury official.

www.ft.com/content/aa53173b-eb39-4055-b112-0001c1f6de1b

There are one or two odd things in that report that don't actually ring true, though...

icanhandthemback Sat 18-Jul-20 18:06:41

No matter how much you are paid, you only have the same amount of hours in the day as the next day. I don't think it is practical for Boris to read every single report word for word but I think that he should have at least a good Summary of something as important as this so he is able to talk knowledgeably about it.

growstuff Sat 18-Jul-20 18:19:17

Which things do you mean Maizie?

I think Vallance did get it wrong at the beginning, but since then it's difficult to know how much of what he says is what he truly believes and what he's been saying to cover the government's back.

There is no doubt that mistakes were made in the second and third weeks of March.

The death rate was doubling every two or three days. People still didn't believe that what was happening in Italy could happen in the UK. The government was indecisive and dithered. Johnson was talking in silly, childish terms about sombreros.

All along, there has been tension between those concerned with the "economy" and those who know something about public health. The irony, of course, is that if public health had been put first, the economy wouldn't have been so badly hit in the long term.

The government will do anything to blame everybody else - just wait until the effects of Brexit hit us.

varian Sat 18-Jul-20 19:35:11

I think they are telling the truth when they say they strongly advised a lockdown on 16th March, which would have saved many lives.

growstuff Sat 18-Jul-20 19:37:17

Do you follow the Independent SAGE meetings? They're available on YouTube.

Janpt Mon 20-Jul-20 17:41:20

Urmstongran Thu 16-Jul-20 08:39:34
He already said he is aware of it.
He does have a Minister at the helm of every department.
He’s not daft - seen as lazy perhaps - but I’m one amongst many who are happy with what he’s doing in very difficult times. He’s had C-19 himself, unlike the majority of us, so he has first hand knowledge of how awful it can be.
I trust him (and the SAGE advisers) to be discussing all the necessary precautions to keep us safe.
urmstongran Well said. The lefties won't give him credit for anything. Thank god we haven't got Corbyn trying to run the country or indeed any of his Marxist cronies.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Jul-20 18:15:56

Russian report tomorrow.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Jul-20 18:17:51

Money given to Tories by a Russian.. I wonder why?

biba70 Mon 20-Jul-20 18:20:16

how redacted will it be though?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Jul-20 18:23:01

The Chief Nurse has said that she was dropped by Cummings/Johnson as she refused to back Cummings after his breaking the lockdown rules.

Cumming’s job more important than people’s health obvs.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Jul-20 18:23:26

biba70

how redacted will it be though?

Probably illegible?

MayBee70 Mon 20-Jul-20 19:53:07

Janpt: have you not noticed that government advice and SAGE advise have now gone off in different directions? So which one are you going to listen to ?

Janpt Mon 20-Jul-20 20:02:45

MayBee70 Either option is going to be better than whatever the Labour party come up with.

GagaJo Mon 20-Jul-20 20:05:10

Another day another right winger banging on about Corbyn.

MayBee70 Mon 20-Jul-20 21:10:43

What on earth have the Labour Party got to do with it. They weren’t governing the country during this pandemic. I’d still like to know if you’re taking the advice of the government or SAGE though, because it’s not an option to do both.

Janpt Tue 21-Jul-20 16:01:40

Urmstongram Isn’t that because he’s PRIME Minister? He has a team of other Ministers alongside him. If personally he read (fully) every piece of information he’d have no time to eat or sleep!
Good points you make. This lot don't seem to understand how real leadership works.