Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rave near Bath - why are the police so helpless?

(33 Posts)
flopen Sun 19-Jul-20 18:05:48

Sorry, no link, as I've just heard this on the radio.
Apparently it was so loud that it could be heard 10 miles away.
I understand how the police can't stop it once it's started. But, given that they must have used bloody big speakers, why not arrest those driving bloody big lorries away from the site?
Perhaps it's being done, but I doubt it.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 19-Jul-20 18:07:33

I read that there was a police ^prese

GrannyGravy13 Sun 19-Jul-20 18:09:08

Oops new phone.......presence at the site.
Perhaps they could have turned off the music and let the sniffer dogs do their job

Jabberwok Mon 20-Jul-20 09:52:49

Why not just turn the b##y music off and tell people to clear off?!!!

Anniebach Mon 20-Jul-20 09:58:35

And then people will walk away

Sussexborn Mon 20-Jul-20 11:09:06

Perhaps the higher ups are worrying too much about bad press if they upset the young and entitled. The real police on the ground can only do what the wanna be’s with both eyes on their own promotion, tell them to do. Too many senior police promoted with little or no experience of real life and concerned how they will look to the “woke” generation and those able to make or break their careers.

Jabberwok Mon 20-Jul-20 12:04:07

Alas Sussexborn, it would seem that way!sad

EllanVannin Mon 20-Jul-20 12:06:32

Agreed Sussexborn. Musn't upset anyone-shock

Jabberwok Mon 20-Jul-20 12:26:43

Except the poor people who live in the vicinity! Whoops, I forgot they're probably law abiding,tax paying and middle class, oh and white, so who gives a stuff about them? Serves them right probably! What a country we've become!!

flopen Mon 20-Jul-20 12:37:11

I agree with you all. But, given that the police felt they couldn't intervene, rightly or wrongly, surely it would have been easy to arrest the organisers?
I personally would have flown over in a helicopter loaded up with slurry and given them a free shower

GrannyGravy13 Mon 20-Jul-20 13:33:39

flopen

I agree with you all. But, given that the police felt they couldn't intervene, rightly or wrongly, surely it would have been easy to arrest the organisers?
I personally would have flown over in a helicopter loaded up with slurry and given them a free shower

Brilliant ??

Galaxy Mon 20-Jul-20 13:36:20

I wonder if young people somewhere are moaning about the older entitled generation. My son is in the woke generation you talk of.

Oldwoman70 Mon 20-Jul-20 13:45:17

I don't understand why the police didn't just confiscate the generator and sound system. This isn't the first time Avon and Somerset police have failed to stop a "rave" - one was blocking a road in a residential area and despite the police receiving complaints from about 5.00 pm did not show up until late at night and then said there were too many people to disperse safely!

eazybee Mon 20-Jul-20 13:48:26

The police should have gone in and ordered them to turn off the amplification, and removed it if necessary. But there would only have been a few police officers available, in rural Somerset (?), and with 3,000 people attending they probably felt discretion was the better part of valour. Arresting the organisers will be nigh on impossible as it was illegal. Not right, but very difficult to summon up enough manpower without preparation. And of course the participants will be lined up with phones ready to record every move.
It reflects very badly on our young, who having survived covid lockdown feel they are entitled to do as they please.
Suffered several 'folk festival' weekends held near my house; it took several years and a whole community effort to close it down.

Galaxy Mon 20-Jul-20 13:54:12

Every single person in my area I have seen breaking social distancing has been elderly every single one. It reflects very badly on that generation that they feel entitled to do as they please.

25Avalon Mon 20-Jul-20 14:01:54

The police were told by locals at 11:10pm and were there within 10 minutes when the equipment was set up and there were just a few hundred people. They did a risk assessment and decided as it was dark and wet in the interests of public safety by which they meant the illegal ravers and their own safety they would take no action. So nothing happened, just the chief constable sat in his bunker miles away in Portishead whilst the rest of us were kept awake by loud thumping bass “music” all night and well into the next dat.

A&S police are useless. They are too busy kneeling to do their job. They did nothing whilst BML supporters ran through Bristol and damaged property, and they have stood by before and permitted all night illegal raves In Frome and Bristol. It is no wonder illegal rave organisers come to Somerset and with complete contempt call us Scumerset when they know our police will do nothing. In Wiltshire they get removed.

The Chief Constable should be sacked. The police do nothing under his command and do not keep law and order in this part of the country. They are a laughing stock.

yggdrasil Mon 20-Jul-20 15:35:07

Strange, that's not quite how I heard it. The police were told of a rave near Frome, and went there, but the organisers had diverted to Bath. When the police got there, there were at least a thousand people, with a load of alcohol and illegal drugs involved. There are not enough police in Somerset to deal with that after all the cuts. They did manage to turn the volume down somewhat, but otherwise just had to keep order as best they could till people left.

janipat Mon 20-Jul-20 15:45:05

galaxy how lucky are you to live in an area where not one single middle-aged, young, or minor person has broken social distancing! Or is your area only elderly people? Where I live I have seen breaches amongst all age groups, but the first most visible ones were teenagers gathering in the children's playground areas. To be fair they were just sitting on benches chatting, not causing trouble, but not observing any distancing or wearing masks.

Furret Mon 20-Jul-20 15:45:26

flopen

Well I don’t usually agree with you flopen but I’m chuckling away here and thinking ‘yes!’.

AGAA4 Mon 20-Jul-20 15:52:59

A slurry shower would have sent them home pronto! grin

25Avalon Mon 20-Jul-20 15:54:19

The police would like you to think there were 3,000 people there but that was not until much later after they did nothing. When they first got there it was just a few hundred. That’s what Chief Superintendant Ian Wylie said when interviewed on Somerset Live yesterday evening: “There were many many hundreds“ when we arrived. Not thousands. They arrived later. Police just stood and watched.
The rave in Frome to which I referred was a couple of years ago when the same police CS said In the interest of public safety which was the ravers, no action would be taken, and twiddled their thumbs.

Everyone thinks it’s rural Somerset but it’s only 3 miles from Bath and less than 10 from Bristol, yet they say they have no officers. Thousand of people were disturbed not to mention the risk of COVID 19. The police here do nothing. What’s the use of telling us to report any signs of raves when they do absolutely nothing. In Wiltshire they sort it.

Galaxy Mon 20-Jul-20 15:55:24

All elderly in my area janipat, parents at the local school had to advise the children how to avoid them! Perhaps I should suggest they were sprayed with slurry.

25Avalon Mon 20-Jul-20 16:00:01

As for turning the volume down that wasn’t until 9:30 in the morning - hah! I am at least 6 miles away and it kept me awake half the night.
Yes big tractor with slurry wagon was my idea too flopen. How about a crop spraying plane with coloured dye, then pick them up later?

janipat Mon 20-Jul-20 16:10:07

Galaxy I meant were all residents in your area elderly, but obviously not if you have a local school. How very odd to have so many elderly in groups not social distancing while the school children and their parents were scrupulous. I really am amazed that every one else in your area has obeyed the guidance to the letter, it's been a mixture of all ages that have broken the rules in mine .

Furret Mon 20-Jul-20 16:27:32

How about a naughty step for pensioners? The police could round them up and sit them on the Town Hall steps. Our Rathaus has loads of steps and could probably hold at least 100, even with social distancing.

Might not do their haemorrhoids any good but ...